Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ajax for a boy
Previous  1  2  3

mommyla

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 7:47 pm
Barbara wrote:
Lysol is a girl. Duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Now it's gender-neutral. Get with the program.

morah

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 7:59 pm
Scrabble, I agree that it's not nice to make fun or be condescending, but it's a good idea to point out the common association- that Ajax is a popular brand of cleaning product, and is most known as a toilet cleaning product in particular. So while it may fly in other places, it would be a poor idea to attempt it in America no matter how "legit" a name is. I know someone who took a trip to a European country once and found out pretty quickly that her name (which is a perfectly normal English name) is a crude word for male anatomy in that country's language. Lovely name, but don't ever use it if you plan to live in that country, and be forewarned if you ever visit. There are a number of Hebrew names I like, but would NEVER use unless I make aliyah because of how they sound to English speakers. Naming a kid is a big deal. People, and other children in particular, can be cruel. Good idea to avoid saddling your child with a name that has unfortunate associations.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:14 pm
morah wrote:
There are a number of Hebrew names I like, but would NEVER use unless I make aliyah because of how they sound to English speakers.
Like my Israeli brother in law, Yaakov who was always called Koo Koo. Well they moved to California and after one (failed) job interview he realized the Koo Koo must go. So in America he's Jacob (for work anyway)

morah

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:17 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Like my Israeli brother in law, Yaakov who was always called Koo Koo. Well they moved to California and after one (failed) job interview he realized the Koo Koo must go. So in America he's Jacob (for work anyway)

LOL! We had an Israeli kid in our class named Dovid. When he first arrived in kindergarten he was going by Dudu, and, well, you can imagine how well THAT went over in a kindergarten class. He took up Duvy pretty quickly...

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:27 pm
morah wrote:
LOL! We had an Israeli kid in our class named Dovid. When he first arrived in kindergarten he was going by Dudu, and, well, you can imagine how well THAT went over in a kindergarten class. He took up Duvy pretty quickly...
I knew a litle boy Dudu - his family was on Shlichut in America. This was better. Their last name was Enis. so this kid was DooDoo backside !! LOL

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:36 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Exactly what is wrong with a name like Penelope (Greek), Alexandra (Greek), Sebastian (Latin), etc. etc.?
Honestly, people here do realize that names like the Yiddish Shaindel, Charna, Aigy, and Ladino Bella etc. all come from vernacular languages, right?

I do indeed. And my family is heartily sick of my ranting against those who look down on names like Eitan (the Avot are called "Eitanim", the mighty ones, a reference to their spiritual strength) as being "not frum" but revere as holy and perpetuate names like Feivel/Feivish (a corruption of Phoebus, a Greek sun-god. Great name for a Greek kid, not so much for a Yid.)

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 9:08 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I knew a litle boy Dudu - his family was on Shlichut in America. This was better. Their last name was Enis. so this kid was DooDoo backside !! LOL

shock that poor child

Volunteer

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 9:12 pm
Sanguine wrote:

that's just wrong on so many levels

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:09 am
mommyla wrote:
Noooooo. Unless he already has an older brother named Lysol or Windex.

I guess if Ajax (pronounced eye-ax) is being considered by OP, Lysol (pronounced Lee-sel like Leisel) is not so bad for a sibling.

But then she would definitely need to be female, I agree with Barbara there.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:14 am
Quote:
I know someone who took a trip to a European country once and found out pretty quickly that her name (which is a perfectly normal English name) is a crude word for male anatomy in that country's language.
C'mon, you're gonna leave us all hanging here?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 7:44 am
Name of a Dutch football club!! (Though often considered 'Jewish' club, it's a bit like Yids Army and Spurs...)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:17 am
Maybe" comet" sounds better..more macho

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Maybe" comet" sounds better..more macho

Can't get better than Mr. Muscle!

etky

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:10 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Can't get better than Mr. Muscle!

Yeah, Mr. Clean sounds a little effeminate....

wiki

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:04 am
And here I opened this thread expecting a conversation on whether Ajax was a cleaning product that only women should use because of some speculative medical/hormonal risk to boys....lol
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names