Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Its that time of year !!!Dairy recipes needed!!
1  2  3  4  Next

yenny

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 7:56 pm
Im looking for the most fabulous recipes you have in dairy. Cheesecakes, desserts,and especially more savory food like appetizers and side dishes. Please help. And let me know which of these things can be frozen and how.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 8:12 pm
Fettucini Alfredo (incredibly rich!)

Make this fresh. It takes 10 minutes, and it is SOO good!

1 lb fettucini noodles (get the "nests" if you can).
1 stick butter
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups parmesan cheese (I use a little less)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium flame. Add cream, stir. Add salt and pepper. Meanwhile, boil water for noodles.

Put 1 C parmesan cheese in bowl. Add hot cream mixture, stir. Boil noodles until al dente (5-6 minutes, according to package). Drain, reserving some water. Add noodles to cream and cheese, toss. Add rest of cheese. Toss, adding pasta water to thin if desired.

mfb

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 8:45 pm
imasinger wrote:
Fettucini Alfredo (incredibly rich!)

Make this fresh. It takes 10 minutes, and it is SOO good!

1 lb fettucini noodles (get the "nests" if you can).
1 stick butter
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups parmesan cheese (I use a little less)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium flame. Add cream, stir. Add salt and pepper. Meanwhile, boil water for noodles.

Put 1 C parmesan cheese in bowl. Add hot cream mixture, stir. Boil noodles until al dente (5-6 minutes, according to package). Drain, reserving some water. Add noodles to cream and cheese, toss. Add rest of cheese. Toss, adding pasta water to thin if desired.

Sounds yum and much easier than my usual recipe. Have you ever added mushrooms to this recipe?

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:00 pm
Copycat Black Angus Cheesy Garlic Bread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Ingredients:

2 cups shredded cheese –
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup butter – softened (next time try 6 Tbsp)
2-3 cloves garlic – peeled, minced fine
1 loaf French bread – cut in half lengthwise
1 bunch green onions – root and green ends trimmed, chopped

Directions:

In a bowl, stir together cheeses, mayonnaise, butter, and garlic until thoroughly mixed.
Spread prepared mixture evenly over the cut side of each bread loaf half. Sprinkle onions evenly over cheese mixture.
Place bread, spread side up, on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil, and then bake in a 350 degree oven for 7 minutes. Turn oven setting to broil and broil for 3 minutes.
Break or slice bread into serving-size pieces and serve

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:01 pm
Cheesecake freezes really well. Cool down so it's firm and then wrap well. See end notes in terms of decorating after freezing.

Lemon Ginger Cheesecake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bon Appetit

Ingredients:

Crust

2 cups finely ground gingersnap cookies (about 9 ounces)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling

4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Lemon slices (for garnish)

Directions:

For crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Double-wrap outside of pan with heavy-duty foil. Blend ground cookies, sugar, and ginger in processor. Add melted butter and process until moist crumbs form. Press mixture onto bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake until crust sets, about 10 minutes. Cool. Maintain oven temperature.
For filling:
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in sugar, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and whipping cream, then crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, lemon juice, and lemon peel.

Pour filling into crust. Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of springform pan. Bake cheesecake until filling is set and golden brown on top (cake will rise slightly above edge of pan), about 1 hour 25 minutes. Turn off oven and prop open oven door with wooden spoon. Let cake stand in oven 1 hour (cake will fall).

Remove springform pan from water bath. Remove foil and cool cheesecake completely on rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated 4 days or frozen up to 2 months. Defrost frozen cake overnight in refrigerator.) Release pan sides from cheesecake. Transfer cheesecake to platter. Arrange lemon slices decoratively around cake and serve.

Notes:

Use a processor to grind the gingersnap cookies finely for the crust.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

UQT

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:02 pm
Nope, can't be that time of year yet. Too early. I'm not over Pesach yet.

yenny

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:39 pm
UQT wrote:
Nope, can't be that time of year yet. Too early. I'm not over Pesach yet.

Still eating matzoh!? Wow !!

yenny

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:42 pm
Mfb ,your recipe sounds so simple a delicious, I can't wait to try it.

yenny

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:46 pm
Amarante, both of your recipes are so up my alley, just the type I like. The cheesecake sounds different than the typical ,Thanks.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:52 am
Notes are the cookbook author's, Glorida Kaufer Greene, and not mine.

Quick-and-easy Cheese Blintz Casserole

Recipe By: The New Jewish Holiday Cookbook by Gloria Kaufer Greene

Summary:

Though cheese blintzes rate as an all-time favorite in my family, I don't always have the time to prepare them in the usual fashion. Therefore, I created the following casserole, which has a fantastic flavor very similar to blintzes (some say it's even better); yet it takes only a few minutes to prepare. In fact, I make it often throughout the year.

It is quite different from the popular cheese blintz casseroles made with frozen commercial blintzes. For my version, a layer of cheese filling is baked between two light layers of a special blintz-type batter. The casserole is then cut into squares for serving, making it a perfect choice for a dairy buffet and great for Shavuot.

Since the first edition of this book was published, this layered blintz casserole has proven to be one of its most popular recipes. The dish is served at the famous Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, where it has become a favorite brunch offering under the name "Easy Cheese Blintz Puff." And the recipe has appeared in a number of books and magazines. Like some of the other "creative" recipes in this book, this one appears to be on its way to becoming a classic of "new" Jewish cooking.

Notes: The types of cheese in the filling were determined after much experimentation with various mixtures. It is the best combination to produce the desired results of separate layers.

The top of this casserole is rather plain. If desired, it may be sprinkled lightly with cinnamon or cinnamon-sugar before the casserole is returned to the oven for the final baking.

Ingredients:

Batter:

4 large eggs (no substitutes)
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted (for best flavor, no substitutes)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

Filling (see notes):

2 (7 1/2- to 8-ounce) packages curd-style farmer cheese
1 (15- to 16-ounce) container ricotta cheese, any type
2 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

To serve:
sour cream
plain or vanilla yogurt
applesauce
sliced fresh strawberries or other fruit

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.

In a blender or a food processor (fitted with a steel blade), combine all batter ingredients. Process until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the container once or twice. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the batter, and pour it into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees forabout 10 minutes, or until it is set.

Meanwhile, combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl, and mix them well. When the bottom layer has set, remove it from the oven and spread the filling over it, smoothing the top. Give the remaining batter a brief stir to resuspend the ingredients; then very slowly pour it over the cheese filling so the filling is completely covered. Carefully return the casserole to the 350 degree oven, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is puffed and set.

Let the casserole rest for about 10 minutes before cutting it into squares. Serve with your choice of accompaniments.

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:13 am
The lemon ginger cheesecake sounds yum! I might try it.

Mfb, I haven't put mushrooms in the fettucini, but I'm sure that would be tasty.

Here's the other possibility I might make. It's lighter than a standard cheesecake:

Ricotta tart with press-in pastry (Sally Vargas)

Dough:
1 C flour
3 T sugar
1/2 t grated lemon rind
Pinch salt
6 T cold unsalted butter, sliced
1 egg, separated

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all except egg in mixer or food processor. Add egg yolk plus a ittle water (1 T), let dough form small clumps (not a ball). Press into pie or tart pan, using hands to spread evenly. Brush with white.

Bake 20-25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.

Filling:
4 T cream cheese
12 oz (1.5 C) ricotta cheese, well drained
1/3 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C heavy cream
2 t grated lemon rind
1 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla
Pinch salt

Beat cream cheese with mixer until smooth. Add ricotta and sugar, mix. Beat in the rest, scraping down bowl as needed.

Pour filling into crust. Bake 45-50 mn until set. Cool on rack. Serve at room temperature, topped with confectioner's sugar.

yenny

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:51 am
Amarante those Blintzes are genius ! I think I'll try it even before the chag any. What's the best way to freeze this ?

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:58 am
yenny wrote:
Amarante those Blintzes are genius ! I think I'll try it even before the chag any. What's the best way to freeze this ?

I've never tried to freeze it although you can do the prep ahead of time if that helps. If I were to freeze, it would have to be cooked I think, cooled and then heated with a cover so it doesn't dry. You could do a test run and report back. Very Happy

Also, I have some recipes that people don't typically think of as "dairy" but really need to be made with butter and/or sour cream for the best taste. There is really no comparison between rugelach made with butter and cream cheese and parve stuff. And for the most part cakes and cookies just taste so much better - especially cookies because the butter also gives it a special texture.

yenny

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:01 am
Amarante wrote:
I've never tried to freeze it although you can do the prep ahead of time if that helps. If I were to freeze, it would have to be cooked I think, cooled and then heated with a cover so it doesn't dry. You could do a test run and report back. Very Happy

Also, I have some recipes that people don't typically think of as "dairy" but really need to be made with butter and/or sour cream for the best taste. There is really no comparison between rugelach made with butter and cream cheese and parve stuff. And for the most part cakes and cookies just taste so much better - especially cookies because the butter also gives it a special texture.

Bring it on!!

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:05 am
yenny wrote:
Bring it on!!

You might regret it. LOL Do you have any particular flavors you like. I don't know whether people are interested in brownie recipes, for example because they make them all year round but not generally with butter. I am kind of a butter baking freak. Very Happy

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:08 am
These are a version of Rugelach from Martha Stewart made as a bar cookie. Saves the tedious job of rolling them up.

These can be frozen. I layer between waxed paper or parchment and wrap very well.

Rugalach Fingers"

Recipe By: Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

1 cup walnuts
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces, plus 3 TB melted for filling
8 ounces cream cheese
2 cups flour
6 ounces roughly chopped semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB cinnamon
3/4 cup currants
grated zest of one orange
3 TB light corn syrup
1 large egg yolk
1 TB water
3 TB raw sugar or regular sugar (I used "sugar in the raw")

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread walnuts on baking sheet and toast 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

2. Place 1 1/2 sticks butter & cream cheese in bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on low till cream cheese is broken down but butter is still chunky. On low speed, add flour, mix till crumbly and just beginning to hold together, about 20 seconds. There should still be some small pieces of butter visible. Divide dough in 2. Form each part into a flattened rectangle, and wrap in saran wrap. Chill 5 hours or overnight.

3. Place chocolate in food processor. Pulse till very finely chopped. Transfer to large bowl. Finely chop nuts by hand and add to bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, currants, zest, corn syrup, melted butter and combine by hand. Beat egg yolk with water and set aside.

4. Have ready a 9 x 13 pan lined with parchment paper. Roll one square of dough into the shape of the pan (THIS WAS THE HARD PART. IT WAS TOO CRUMBLY. I HAD TO LET IT SIT AT ROOM TEMP FOR 10 MINUTES AND PUT BETWEEN WAX PAPER AND REALLY PRESS DOWN HARD FOR THE DOUGH TO COME TOGETHER. I ALSO DID NOT GET THE PERFECT SHAPE. SOME BROKE OFF WHILE PUTTING IN THE PAN. I JUST PATCHED IT AND WHEN IT BAKED IT BAKED BEAUTIFULLY.) Spread dough with walnut mixture. Roll remaining square the same size and cover filling. Trim edges to be even. Brush top with egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with sugar. Bake till golden about 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 2 1/2 by 3/4 inch rectangles. (THE RECIPE SAYS YIELDS 5 DOZEN, NO WAY!!!I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW MANY I GOT. NEXT TIME I'LL CUT THINNER FINGERS AND EVEN CUT EACH FINGER IN HALF TO MAKE IT A ONE BITE COOKIE. THESE ARE DELICIOUS!!!

Notes:

The dough was difficult to work with,even after chilling overnight. But, the work was well worth the results. Have patience!

yenny

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:08 am
Amarante wrote:
You might regret it. LOL Do you have any particular flavors you like. I don't know whether people are interested in brownie recipes, for example because they make them all year round but not generally with butter. I am kind of a butter baking freak. Very Happy

I'm actually on atkins so butter don't scare me.
Flavors? Something different and also more savory.

yenny

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:13 am
I like your blinzes and rugelach techniques saves time and I don't have patience for tedious stuff.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:15 am
Making fresh pasta is not something I've ever attempted. :-)

I would freeze this uncooked I think with the mozzarella put on top before cooking.

Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna

Recipe By: Giada De Laurentiis
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature, for greasing the baking dish
All-purpose flour, for dusting
Vegetables:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Sauce:
2 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups whole milk, at room temperature
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups grated Pecorino Romano
2 cups shredded mozzarella
Two 5-ounce bags baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 packed cup chopped fresh basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Fresh Pasta, recipe follows, or nine 8- by 5-inch fresh lasagna noodles
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

Fresh Pasta:
2 cups cake flour
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:

Sauce:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9- by 13- by 1-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Set aside.

For the vegetables: In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and any liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 20 minutes.

For the sauce: In a heavy-bottomed 5-quart saucepan, bring the cream, milk and flour to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Add the Pecorino and the mozzarella. Whisk until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach, basil, garlic, salt and pepper.

Add the mushroom mixture to the sauce and stir to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.

Cut the Fresh Pasta dough in quarters and press flat. Run each piece of pasta dough several times through a pasta-rolling machine adjusting the setting each time until the pasta is about 1/16-inch thick. Cut the pasta into six 12- by 4-inch rectangles (reserve any pasta trimmings for another use). The pasta dough can also be rolled out by hand. Cut the chilled dough into quarters and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/8 to 1/16-inch thick.

Spread 1 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 2 sheets of pasta on top in a single layer. Spread 2 cups of the sauce over the pasta sheets. Repeat the layers with the remaining pasta sheets and sauce, ending with the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

Fresh Pasta:
Place the cake flour, all-purpose flour, egg yolks and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. With the machine running, gradually add the oil then 1/3 to 1/2 cup water until the mixture forms a dough (the dough should stick together if pinched between your fingers). If necessary, add additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time if the dough is too dry.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Gather the dough into a ball and knead until the dough is smooth, 5 to 8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:29 am
You can make this with canned salmon but much tastier with fresh salmon. I generally poach it. I've never frozen it but it can be made the day before.

Salmon Mousse

Recipe By: Silver Palate
Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients:

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup good mayonnaise, like Hellman's or Hellman's Light
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated onion
3 dashes of Tabasco or other hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
2 cups finely flaked poached fresh salmon or canned salmon, skin and bones removed
1 cup heavy cream

Directions:

Soften the gelatin in the cold water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the boiling water and stir the mixture slowly until gelatin dissolves. Cool to room temperature.

Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, grated onion, hot sauce, paprika, salt and dill. Stir to blend completely and refrigerate for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.

Fold in the finely flaked salmon.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it is thickened to peaks and fluffy. Fold gently into the salmon mixture.

Transfer the mixture to a 6-to-8 cup bowl or decorative mold. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.

Serve on thin pieces of baguette that have been lightly toasted or crackers.

Notes:

Tip: This mousse can also be served as a first course. Just put a small scoop on a plate alongside a small pile of lightly dressed mesclun or other salad greens.

Tip: The easiest way to grate onion is with a rasper or using the fine holes on a box grater.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics