Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what point do you make dr appt for cough?

loving it!

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:51 pm
my baby has a pretty bad cold. shes congested & wheezing. shes waking up from her coughing or maybe just from her cold. should I be taking her to a dr or its just a cold so let it be?

lk1234

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:18 pm
Same thing here. My kids are all coughing and wheezing. I don't want to run to the doctor right away so I'll give it until after shabbos. They have a very low fever which I've been giving tylenol for.

loving it!

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:23 pm
she was up the entire night last night too. tonight she already woke up 2 times, and she went to sleep only 3 hours ago! im forgetting about cleaning for shabbos (at least everything is mostly cooked) and im counting on another sleepless night. this is crazy!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:53 pm
If she seems to have trouble breathing or her color is not good, you definitely should seek medical attention. If she's coughing but able to breathe well regardless, doesn't seem to have an infection, there is little a doctor can do. Steam helps, as well as freezing cold air (open the freezer and let her breathe in that air). It's so hard when the little ones are sick Sad Refuah sheleima!

achot613

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:14 am
Untrue that there is nothing to do for a cough. Just take them in
A Dr will decide if it's croup and prescribe inhalation of steroids or if its bronchospasms and needs ventiolin.
If its bronchitis- antibiotics
If whooping cough- antibiotics
Lots of different syrups available that they can prescribe also
Refuah shleima

asp40

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:35 am
If your baby is actually wheezing, you need to go to the doctor. Little things can get serious quickly,.especially in small children.

chani8

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 1:02 am
The problem is excess mucous. You need to thin it out and help it drain. You didn't say how old she is, but here in Israel, you can get Mucolit for babies, and it's a life saver. I also use herbs and homeopathics to help dry up the mucous. Dr Reckeweg has a great line of drops for this.

achot613

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:44 am
Just wanted to add that Coughs aren't always due to excess mucous. They can also be from bronhial spasms due to asthma or asthmatic tendencies. (Wet cough vs dry cough)

chani8

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:14 am
achot613 wrote:
Just wanted to add that Coughs aren't always due to excess mucous. They can also be from bronhial spasms due to asthma or asthmatic tendencies. (Wet cough vs dry cough)

Yes of course, but she said 'congested' so I assumed mucous. It's anyway more common.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:09 am
A few days unless it seems improving

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:08 am
My experience with steroids for bronchitis (which BTW can be bacterial but is usually viral so abx are not necessarily prescribed) is that they tasted nasty and it was almost impossible to get my baby to agree to take it. For future babies, freezing cold air (as prescribed by my doctor actually) was sufficient to open the airways.

tweety1

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:49 am
I'd go to the dr. She might also have an ear infection even though she's not pulling her ears. When a baby has a cold its very often occompanied by an ear infection. She might be wheezing even though you don't hear it. Have it checked out before shabbos. Refuah sh'leimah

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:05 am
My DD is allergic to penicillin, and the stronger stuff was so hard on her stomach and skin. When she got congested as a baby, I put her to sleep in her carseat because it caused her head to be raised, making breathing and clearing her nasal passages easier. Whenever she got congested I did this, and she had much fewer ear infections, etc...than her big sisters did.

Refuah Shelaimah.

STMommy

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:57 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I'd go to the dr. She might also have an ear infection even though she's not pulling her ears. When a baby has a cold its very often occompanied by an ear infection. She might be wheezing even though you don't hear it. Have it checked out before shabbos. Refuah sh'leimah

This. I have had the experience with my kids of a persistent phlegmy cough being the first (or maybe only) sign of an ear infection.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:34 pm
Depending on the age, you could try giving baby some benedryl bedore bedtime. It will temporarily clear the congestion and help baby sleep better. If fever persists and cough does not subside after a few days then check it out.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:06 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If she seems to have trouble breathing or her color is not good, you definitely should seek medical attention. If she's coughing but able to breathe well regardless, doesn't seem to have an infection, there is little a doctor can do. Steam helps, as well as freezing cold air (open the freezer and let her breathe in that air). It's so hard when the little ones are sick Sad Refuah sheleima!

I'm just making a generalized comment (not directed specifically at the OP or HY). Freezing air can actually further irritate wheezing, especially in individuals with asthma. My aunt cannot eat ice cream or drink drinkswith ice without feeling ill because of her asthma.

Anyways, refuah shalaima to OPs daughter.

loving it!

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:46 pm
thanks everyone. actually, she has ear infection and she was given inhaler for breathing

mandr

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:01 pm
My baby wheezes in the wintertime when it's cold outside. On warmer days I don't hear it much. On really cold days we use the nebulizer or inhaler. When my baby has a cough I let it go as long as I don't hear wheezing and there's no fever. If he gets a fever, no matter how low, (along with the cough, that is) I'd take him to the doctor. Or if it's been going on for a few days and a Shabbos/Yom Tov is coming up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics