Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Shoah stories make me want more babies

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 12:59 am
Does anyone else feel this way? When I hear stories of what our people went through during the holocaust, all I want to to is go off and have more babies. I just feel like this is our best way of fighting against what happened and showing them we won't be taken away, ever, we're here to stay.

I live in Israel and also feel like last summer's war also made me just want more babies to grow into fine Israelis who will take care of the future of the Jewish people.

Is this a little extreme, or do others feel like this?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 1:14 am
It's very common after wars that more babies are born 9 months later. These deaths put things into perspective. Life becomes more precious, and logic and the physical price of things seems so irrelevant. You're not the only one at all.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 3:30 am
Well somebody's got to carry the Torah. It doesn't have arms and legs of its own.

You are very nice and I say hello.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:41 am
Yes. I felt this way.
My father's immediate family is pretty much the only survivors from his town.
Decades ago he showed me a picture of his yeshiva graduation class of about 100 young boys and tells me with with a cracking voice that as far as he knows only about 3 of them survived.
I grew up in a neighborhood in which 3 children was the norm. 2 and 4 was rare. The token family of 6 kids was pretty much a zoo exhibit.
I was thrilled to welcome my 4th. And then to welcome, b"h, my 5th. I was definitely thinking I was doing my share to repopulate the earth of Jews.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 5:35 am
If you can love and manage them, go for it. Years ago R Avi Shafran wrote an article in Jewish Woman's Outlook called Never Too Many on just this.

ETA: It's not just loving and managing, it's not feeling guilty or neurotic or obsessive. I think you're coming from a healthy place.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

morah

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 6:14 am
I feel the same way. My grandparents who are both survivors have 6 kids. THey aren't frum, bu they are the sole survivors of their families and this is how they rebuilt. My grandmother always says, no Jew needs to apologize for having a large family, it is the non-Jews who have to apologize for decimating our families. THat said, I am taking it one at a time and taking space as needed because that's what I need.

Sanguine

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 8:18 am
Sanguine wrote:
It's very common after wars that more babies are born 9 months later. These deaths put things into perspective. Life becomes more precious, and logic and the physical price of things seems so irrelevant. You're not the only one at all.

Here it is!!

Quote:
Post-War 'Baby Boom': 49 Born in One Hospital Over Holidays

Two sets of triplets born in two hours during busy day for Kaplan Hospital in Rehovot; director says a 'baby boom' follows every major war.

Israel is experiencing a post-war baby boom after last summer's Operation Protective Edge, the Labor & Delivery Director of Rehovot's Kaplan Hospital said Friday, after a total of 49 babies were born there over Memorial Day and Independence Day alone.

Twenty boys and 29 girls were born in 48 hours, hospital staff said, with 33 born on Memorial Day and 16 on Independence Day.

In a rare sequence of events, two sets of triplets were also born within two hours of each other, they added, as well as two sets of twins over the holiday period.

"This is a new generation of children from Operation Protective Edge," Avivit Karni Tzanahi, Labor and Delivery director, told Walla! News. The Gaza war began nine months ago.

"We had 15 births in one eight-hour shift," said Tzanahi.

"We are aware of the phenomenon that after an operation or war there is an increase in the number of births," she continued. "We saw it in Operation Cast Lead and Operation Pillar of Cloud and now it is back."

She added that she has worked as a midwife for 30 years, and never once seen two sets of triplets born in such close proximity to each other

STMommy

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:56 am
so interesting. my fears about the state of the world when my kids are older makes me feel bad sometimes that I brought them into it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:26 am
Same here. We could have been much more numerous, can't help that, but I'll do my part iyh.

STmommy, the world has always been at least as nasty as now... we have to go on. Nations that became depressed and stopped having (enough) kids, c'v disappeared (physically or by assimilation). Compare how many Indian boys have the coming of age Indian ceremony, vs how many % Jewish boys have at least some kind of bar mitzva! One must go on, that's the way of the Jews.

I notice after the war, the camps etc people had so quickly babies - and then, somehow, it stopped and so many had at best 2. Soooo many onlies and that's for those who did have!. And now bh our generation is having more (for every circle). But there was a big depression, in between, and not all families who survived the war, survived this :'(

I assume my kids chose to come and chose me. I don't feel guilty. We all have to grapple with this world, its beauties and its horrors. It's not for us to refuse it to someone else (because of the horrors). One of the reasons I became FTB, was to marry a boy who would want a large family and not the classic 2, and 3 being rarer than 1, than I grew up with in my lite MO com.

This doesn't mean having 20. It means TRYING to at least 2, and ideally more, to increase. From there, there is a very large palette. Last thing remember Hashem is on control.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:46 am
Ruchel, it is amazing that English is not your first language.

octopus

Post Sat, Apr 25 2015, 6:05 pm
Am I a bad person that Holocaust stories don't necessarily make me want to have more children? I never really connected the two and I read about this every so often and the connection doesn't speak to me so much. I was always amazed that each survivor had to have some yad Hashem in surviving because sometimes ppl from tiny families survived almost completely intact and some large families were completely annihilated. My goal in life is to have emotionally healthy and well balanced children. I don't focus so much on family size.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics