Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
ISO healthy low-calorie breakfast muffins

SV

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 8:49 pm
If such a thing even exists - I would love to make some muffins that I can freeze and have for breakfast some mornings. I prefer something that's not too fatening (my dh is on a diet similar to WW - basically low-calorie diet) but yummy. TIA!

SV

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:20 pm
Bump

beckster

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 9:03 pm
I posted this recipe before. You can eat it by itself or with yogurt and fruit.

CARROT MUFFINS
1.5 cup oil
6 eggs
mix well. add rest of ingredients
2 1/4 cups pureed carrots (cooked yourself and blended / baby food / from a can / carrot juice)
1.5 cups agave
3 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
dash of cinnamon
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
6 tbsp orange juice

optional:
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seeds

Bake @ 350 for 30 min.
Makes about 35 muffins.
Freezes great.

WWG1WGA

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:24 pm
google kashi muffins-they are made with kashi cereal, are delicious and real healthy.I like to add white choc. chips to this recipe so my kids eat it too and tastes a little sweeter.

gumdrop

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:32 pm
I have a blueberry muffin I posted on here some time ago. I make it with whole wheat flour and it's delicious.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:39 pm
I just made a double batch of these. The riper the bananas the less sugar needed.

Banana muffins
1 1/2 cups/375 mL whole wheat flour

1 cup/250 mL rolled oats

2 tsp/10 mL baking powder

1 tsp/5 mL baking soda

1/2 tsp/2 mL salt

2 eggs

1/4 cup/60 mL cooking oil

1/4 cup/60 mL honey

1/4 cup/60 mL milk

3 medium bananas, mashed

1/2 cup/125 mL chocolate chips/raisins/blueberry (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F/200 C.
Get out your muffin pans. (I make 12 regular sized muffins and 12 mini-muffins with this recipe.) Grease the muffin pan(s), or get out the paper cupcake liners. This recipe makes enough for 12 regular sized muffins and 12 mini muffins.

In a large bowl, put the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix. Make a well in the middle.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they are frothy. Add the oil, honey, milk and bananas. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the banana mixture into the well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten it all. (Stop! Don't overmix! The secret of making perfect muffins lies in the stirring. It's okay if there are still some flecks of flour visible. The batter will be lumpy - that's fine! Resist the urge to keep stirring!)
Fill your muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.

culinaryk

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 3:37 am
Brynie Greisman posted a recipe for blueberry streusel muffins. I believe all her muffins are low fat and delicious.
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....s/626
For a different taste you can try the chocolate bran-ana Muffins
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....s/496

enjoy!

coconutbutter

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 6:37 am
culinaryk wrote:
Brynie Greisman posted a recipe for blueberry streusel muffins. I believe all her muffins are low fat and delicious.
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....s/626
For a different taste you can try the chocolate bran-ana Muffins
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....s/496

enjoy!

I know this is old but does anyone have access to this site that can share the recipe for blueberry streusel muffins?

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:20 am
In a slightly different direction, I make Baked Oatmeal which I then cut into individual portions and freeze. You can microwave it to warm it slightly. I would leave a bunch in the freezer at work and just nuke if you or your DH eat at work.

There are a LOT of recipes floating around. I make this one with mashed bananas and apple sauce. You can add any kind of dried fruit and I use to add fresh blueberries when they were in season so it was like a blueberry muffin. I have read that people make individually in muffin tins but it was easy for me to just slice when cooled and then freeze individual portions.

I generally add more vanilla extract. If you don't want to use artificial sweetener, you can sub 1/4 cup of brown sugar which is still a minimal amount spread over number of servings as both the banana and applesauce add sweetness so you don't need much "sugar". Many of the recipes have oil or melted butter instead of apple sauce and mashed banana - again it depends on what you are looking for. I was always happy with the one made with bananas and apple sauce with dried fruits or fresh blueberry.

I've seen a lot of variants if you google. The advantage to Baked Oatmeal is that it really is basically just oatmeal in an easy to eat form which makes it more like a snack. I would sometimes pull one from the freezer at night for a nosh.

The other type of healthy muffin is to make an egg type of "muffin" in muffin tins which again can be frozen and microwaved when needed. These are essentially omelets - I.e. I would sauté veggies and then bake with beaten egg and usually grated cheese and sometimes a grain like orzo or brown rice. I have some recipes for these if you are interested.

Baked Oatmeal Cake

2 cups oatmeal dry
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup skim milk
2 eggs or Eggbeater equivalent
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup sugar twin brown sugar (couldn't find yet so used Splenda for baking)
2 mashed bananas
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Mike dry ingredients then mix in wet ingredients.
Pour into 8 x 8 cake pan. Bake 350 for 45 minutes.

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:36 am
Here's a Fruit and Veggie Muffin - it's intended to hide veggies from children :-) But carrot cake and zucchini are completely non-diet so why not?

Power Packed Fruit and Veggie Muffin for Picky Eaters

Ingredients

1 cup – flour, whole wheat
1 cup – flour, all-purpose
3/4 teaspoon – baking soda
1/2 teaspoon – Salt
1/4 teaspoon – Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon – cinnamon
1/2 cup – Sugar
4 tablespoon – Butter, unsalted
2 large – Egg
1 teaspoon – Vanilla extract
1/2 cup – Broccoli, Florets
1 medium – Zucchini
1 1/2 medium – carrot
1/2 medium – apple
1 medium – banana
1/8 cup – Apple Juice
1/4 cup – Applesauce, unsweetened
1/4 cup – yogurt, plain - Greek yogurt if possible

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium size bowl, mix together flours, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
Soften butter.

In a mixer or another bowl, mix the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
In a food processor, combine steamed broccoli, zucchini, apple, apple juice and applesauce. Pulse until thoroughly mixed.

Shred carrots. If you don’t want the shreds in your muffin, combine your carrots with the rest of the fruits and veggies in the food processor.

Combine the fruit and veggie puree, carrots (unless you already added them with the puree), and yogurt, into the wet ingredient mixture and beat until mixed.

Finally, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined and wet.

In a muffin tin, place muffin papers or spray with cooking spray.

Scoop the mixture into a prepared muffin pan.

For mini muffins: Bake in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes for mini-muffins

For regular size muffins: Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.

Bake until the tops are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean or they bounce back when you touch them with your finger.

These freeze great! Put them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins