Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sunscreen on Shabbos

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 9:30 am
I know I have to discuss this with my Rav, but I am wondering what people do. How do you put sunscreen on (both yourself and your kids) on Shabbos? I used to use the spray, but now there are all these reports that spray is bad. So how do you put on lotion?

animeme

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 9:38 am
I do use the spray but you have to spray it on your hands and pat it into the face anyway. That's also what I do when I need the lotion- pat. But I'm usually only doing the face; it takes a little time.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:12 am
Hmmm. I've been using the spray too... what's wrong with it?

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
I know I have to discuss this with my Rav, but I am wondering what people do. How do you put sunscreen on (both yourself and your kids) on Shabbos? I used to use the spray, but now there are all these reports that spray is bad. So how do you put on lotion?

"Bad" w.r.t. halacha, or w.r.t. UV-blocking ability, or w.r.t. something else?

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:43 am
I use the spray.

We call it "Shabbos sunscreen."

We do not spray people's faces; we wear hats, and limit our outside time especially during peak exposure hours.

Webmd says covering up, especially hats with shade for face, and limiting peak hours is a good strategy. It also says the following:

Quote:
Sunscreen Myth #6: Lotions, sprays, or stick sunscreens work differently.
"There are no real major differences; these are just vehicles for the sunscreen and it depends on what the consumer likes," Spencer says.

"Men often do better with alcohol-based sprays because they don't like greasy products. Women often do better with lotions and creamier products because they like the moisturizing effect," Spencer says. "There are many different sunscreen products to choose from. What's most important is compliance -- if you like the product, you're more likely to use it."

Whatever kind of sunscreen you choose, the American Academy of Dermatology says to put it on dry skin 15-30 minutes before you go outside.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:51 am
Op here. I've been reading that the sprays are dangerous for kids and my pediatrician says we should not use spray. My kids are young and won't keep a hat on, so that's not a reliable option.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 12:14 pm
We use the foam (Coppertone water babies )

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:58 pm
I realize this is a thread from April, but I was just discussing this issue with a friend - the warning about the sprays. It seems from what I have read that the problem with the sprays comes from spraying around the kids, expecially the face. That problem is solved (or at least mitigated) if you are outside, spray onto your hand (away from the child) and pat the sunscreen on.

This is what we do on Shabbat, or whenever we use the spray. I think that it solves the shabbat spreading issue as well as the inhalation issue. I hope this is helpful as we head into the summer months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions