Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's a typical day for you?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 12:25 pm
What's a typical day for you? Schedule, activities, work, meals...?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 12:30 pm
Between 6:30 am-7:30: wake up, feed baby
7:30-8:00- get out of bed
8:00 eat breakfast
8-10 watch baby, feed baby, daven if the baby naps, have a coffee, browse the web (including imamother)
10- study or do work (I am both in college and I work from home) while watching baby
12- eat lunch
1- baby's second nap (hopefully!!)
2- go on a walk when it's nice weather
3- start preparing dinner
5- dh comes home, serve dinner
7:30- bathe baby, put baby to bed
8- work, study
9:30- work out
10:00- shower
11- bed

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
Between 6:30 am-7:30: wake up, feed baby
7:30-8:00- get out of bed
8:00 eat breakfast
8-10 watch baby, feed baby, daven if the baby naps, have a coffee, browse the web (including imamother)
10- study or do work (I am both in college and I work from home) while watching baby
12- eat lunch
1- baby's second nap (hopefully!!)
2- go on a walk when it's nice weather
3- start preparing dinner
5- dh comes home, serve dinner
7:30- bathe baby, put baby to bed
8- work, study
9:30- work out
10:00- shower
11- bed

Wow this sounds like my day! Very Happy Our babies literally have the same schedule!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 12:47 pm
5:45-6:00 wake up
6:00-7:10 Get dressed, supervise/get kids dressed, nurse baby, finish preping my stuff for work (ie. prep breakfast, pack pump), give kids breakfast.
7:10-:7:15 leave for work
7:10/7:15-7:45/7:50 commute to work
8:00-2:50 At work
2:50-3:15/3:30 commute home from work
3:15-4:15 pick up children from various babysitter/playgroup/preschool/school bus
4:15-4:45 unpack lunch bags/wash dishes
4:45-6:00- finish dinner prep, give kids dinner, feed baby
6:00-7:00 give kids baths, brush teeth, pajamas, read books, put kids to bed
7:00-7:30/7:45 eat dinner with DH
7:45-9:45 clean up house, do dishes, prep lunches for the next day, begin dinner prep for next day take care of things around house (ie laundry-wash/fold, pay bills...)
9:45 shower
10:00 feed baby
10:30 bed

Whew! Just writing it all out exhausts me!

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
6:00-7:10 Get dressed, supervise/get kids dressed, nurse baby, finish preping my stuff for work (ie. prep breakfast, pack pump), give kids breakfast.
3:15-4:15 pick up children from various babysitter/playgroup/preschool/school bus
7:45-9:45 clean up house, do dishes, prep lunches for the next day, begin dinner prep for next day take care of things around house (ie laundry-wash/fold, pay bills...)

Whew! Just writing it all out exhausts me!

This is so sad.
Where is "play with kids, ask how their day was, snuggle and cuddle with baby"?
I am soo so sorry for you.
It sounds like you really have your hands full.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:40 pm
heidi wrote:
This is so sad.

I assume that interaction with the kids is subsumed in "give kids dinner" (dinnertable conversation) and reading the kids a story and putting them to bed. A lot of interaction is possible during those times even if there is no "sit on the floor and play." Ditto with "feeding baby" -- it can encompass a lot of snuggling and cuddling.

I do wonder what the point of your post was, or how you thought it would make amother feel to be pitied for working to support her family while (it seems to me) balancing childcare and genuine interactions with her children.

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:43 pm
goodmorning wrote:
I assume that interaction with the kids is subsumed in "give kids dinner" (dinnertable conversation) and reading the kids a story and putting them to bed. A lot of interaction is possible during those times even if there is no "sit on the floor and play." Ditto with "feeding baby" -- it can encompass a lot of snuggling and cuddling.

I do wonder what the point of your post was, or how you thought it would make amother feel to be pitied for working to support her family while (it seems to me) balancing childcare and genuine interactions with her children.

I assume nothing.
There was no hidden message in my post.
I feel bad for the poster.
It sounds like she has a very busy, tiring life.
But I see what your sore points are.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:53 pm
Wake up whenever my twins pull me out of bed.

Dress them,
Feed them
Clean up after them and try to stay calm until they go for their nap.

Noontime - kids lunch, then put them for a nap.

Now debate whether to eat something or tackle the housework/dinner/laundry/everything else that can only get done while they sleep.

2:00 kids wake up.

Give them snack

Pull through the day while trying to maintain my sanity.

5:30 feed kids supper
6:00 bath time
7:00 bedtime

Whenever dh comes home, between 5:30-9, sometimes later, warm up food and serve on plastic goods in the mess.

If I have errands that needs to get done, I do it now and often don't get to eat with dh. If at all.

Do some housework before crashing into bed.

Deal with insomnia until the wee morning hours.

Wake up exhausted and more tired than the night before, ready to do it all over again.

Writing this now, it makes me realize just how crazy my day is.

rising hero

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:58 pm
heidi wrote:
I assume nothing.
There was no hidden message in my post.
I feel bad for the poster.
It sounds like she has a very busy, tiring life.
But I see what your sore points are.

Let's say you're right...then give her a hug and tell her what an amazing mother she is, dont make her feel sorry for herself with your pity.

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:08 pm
I'm sorry you are all so offended by my pointing out the simple fact that not one of the people who posted sounds like they take the time to enjoy their children even one little bit.
Look at the mother of twins who just posted.
I feel sorry for their kids.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:23 pm
6:30-7:15- Wake up nurse baby. 4 yo usually has woken up and uses the bathroom. Some days he needs a shower so we do that. Or he plays while I get dressed.

7:30-9 Dress DS, make breakfast and lunch straighten up really depends on what I did before I went to bed.

9:00- Take DS to School and go to work.

DH brings me the baby to nurse at lunch time

Come home 5:15. 4 yo hangs out with me while I make dinner. Eat and pajamas and a book and bedtime is usually 7:30.

The baby goes to bed when I do.

I aim to be in bed by 10.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:26 pm
heidi wrote:
I'm sorry you are all so offended by my pointing out the simple fact that not one of the people who posted sounds like they take the time to enjoy their children even one little bit.

My day is very hectic and I only get about 3 hours a day with my kids, but don't feel sorry for them. They feel loved, they are well taken care of and they are happy.

Here's my day:

4:30 am wake up, get ready for work, pack lunches, start dinner prep (if there is time)
5:40 am leave to bus
6:45 am arrive at work
3:30 pm leave work
4:40 pm arrive home, finish dinner prep
4:50 pm - 5:20 pm pick up kids
5:30 serve dinner
6:00 pm oldest son does homework, bathe other kids
6:30 oldest son takes a shower or bath, get kids ready for bed
7:00 - 8:00 pm stories, bedtime routine, snuggling.
8:00-10:00 whatever chores I have energy for, sometimes I exercise, shower, relax
10:00-11:00 pm - go to sleep somewhere in that time frame.

One of my sons is in baseball at this time of year so one night during the week we all go to his game which throws our schedule for a loop.

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:35 pm
heidi wrote:

I figured those things just happened along with all the practical stuff, I don't schedule in my affection, it just comes naturally as the day goes. Shmoozing, playing, snugglings etc.

Do you schedule in how many times you tell your kids you love them or listen to their chat, or is it embedded in your every interaction?

So I think you're making assumptions that are purely projection.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:37 pm
heidi wrote:

Love and cuddles doesn't need to be scheduled into one's day and if it does, then I feel sorry for YOUR kids! The only parts of my day that have to be scheduled are the parts that involved errands, appointments, housework - the boring stuff. The fun stuff and bonding happens along the way, no scheduling required.

2pm Gotta go, time to go hug my child Wink

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:40 pm
heidi wrote:
This is so sad.

goodmorning wrote:

Previous amother here: you're both right. Asking/talking about day at school happens while I drive around/walk picking everyone up from school. Further talking/snuggling happens during dinner/bath/bed time routine. Hugs and kisses are given at random and often throughout all the chaos. Actively getting on the floor and playing happens in brief spurts here and there when I happen to have a few extra minutes, otherwise it happens on shabbos-when many other of these activities can't be done anyway. But Heidi is right it is sad. And I feel bad about it all the time. But I also know that I am doing what is best for my family by going out to work so that we can put food on the table, and have access to a yeshiva education, and good healthcare. I also know that this is a very hard stage of life as I have several fairly young children, but it is temporary. I know that as they get older and I don’t have to be as involved in every detail of their physical care things will, hopefully, get easier. So is it sad that we don't have more active playtime together? yes. Do I feel bad when they ask to play outside after school and I have to say know because it’s grocery shopping night and if we don’t go straight in from school our routine will be thrown off and I won’t get to the store on time? Yes. But my kids know they are loved and that anytime mommy has available is spent with them (even if it means coming shopping with mommy to buy toilet paper at the drug store I try to spend any free time with them and we try to make it a fun and somewhat educational experience). And yes once in a while I say too bad on supper we’re having pb sandwiches tonight and we do go out and play. I also know that many women are in the same situation as me, and I actually consider myself lucky because at least I finish work early enough to personally pick my children up from school. I think there are other ways of letting kids know that you love them and will always be there for them even if you can’t spend hours a day with them. If I were able to quit my job and be a stay at home mom I would do it in a heartbeat, but right now it’s just not possible. Meanwhile, we make the best of it. I work hard to make sure my kids know how special they are to me. Yes I do have my hands full, but I also know it’s due to choices I made (having kids spaced close together). So while I appreciate the sentiment that you are sorry for me, and I am sure you meant well, please don’t pity me. We are happy.

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:41 pm
heidi wrote:

Oy. What is your daily schedule with your kids?

Barbara

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:46 pm
heidi wrote:

So, what would you like them to post:

6:31 Give DD1 a hug, tie her shoes

6:33 Tell DS2 I love him, but no, we won't be having french fries and ice cream for dinner

6:47 Remind DS1 he has to hurry up; ask about his homework; tell him we can't wait to see him as the 3d tree from the right in the play.

6:59 Change DD2 diapers (again); tickle her toes

7:04 Hugs and kisses

Tell each child I love him/her and ask about their day. Admire any artwork and praise for hard work. Tell DD1 that you know she'll do better next time. Sing songs with youngest ones.

Taking time to interact with children.

Hey, she doesn't mention peeing, but I'll bet she does that as well.

I feel sorry for anyone who needs to attack other mothers this way.

Wanna hear my day?

6:30 Alarm goes off. Yell at DH to turn it off.

7 Concede I need to get up. Pee. Shower.

7:25 Knock on DS door to wake him up

7:30 Go into DS room to yell at him that he really needs to get up.

7:45 Tell DS that he needs to get moving or DH will be angry.

7:46 Tell DS that it matches, even if it doesn't, so he'll get moving

7:55 Drive DS to school, telling him he's going to be late, again.

8:10 Drive to work with DH

9 Work

9:12 Answer DS text

12:32 Answer another DS text

7 Leave work

7:45 Arrive home. Ask DS how day was. Assume that grunt means fabulous

And so on.

Sadie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:55 pm
Barbara wrote:

7:45 Arrive home. Ask DS how day was. Assume that grunt means fabulous

Ha!

MMCH

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 3:39 pm
635- wake up- get dressed- pack up my work bag before kids wake up
7- kids wake up, take out, change diapers, use bathroom, give breakfast
7-30 pack up school bags take out freezer stuff for supper, throw in a laundry load,
730- babysitter comes up
740- I leave for work
740-800 commute to work
1235- drive home from work and go do one errand. shopping/cleaners/bank/ wtvr needs to be picked up
1255- come home, do some more laundry, clean up from the morning, fold laundry, prepare more supper stuff
145- go pick youngest child up. depending on the weather, either take a walk, go to the park, hang out at home, go to library...
230- pick up second to youngest from school, and give quick snack at home
340- go do car pool for bigger ones
400-ish depending on weather, we go the park (if I am really organized, I would bring supper to the park and we would stay until 6!)
530- supper for kids
6- bathtime,
730-clean up, last minute prep for supper with my DH, who usually comes home, as I am done putting kids to sleep
745-eat supper. clean up. and menu plan for the next day
815- Lesson plans/phone calls/ grading papers/
915- shower and then relax in bed watch something on my laptop
1030/11 go to sleep.

rinse and repeat! BH things are pretty under control.
I think adding homework to this mix, will be where the stress comes in.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 3:43 pm
I was just about to write that there's no homework in there. That's my number one biggest stress. Add in a cranky baby or needy toddler to the homework help and it's really ten times harder than when I just had little ones. Sad

Last edited by MamaBear on Mon, Apr 27 2015, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics