Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Red lipstick?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:05 pm
I like red lipstick. Do you think it's tznius? Clown-like? Should I go for a more subdued shade like plum?

Twinster

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:13 pm
I think it depends how and when you wear it. When done right, it can look beautiful, even fine. But if not, it can look like a little kid wearing her mommy's lipstick Smile

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:15 pm
Like Twinster wrote, it TOTALLY depends on the shade of red. Red either has undertones of blue or orange and certain complexions look better. Also, there is "red" that is more of a stain than a lacquer and is easier to carry off.

I would advise going to a good make up place where you can try on a lot of shades and maybe get expert opinion. You might also wear the lipstick out to see how you like it when you come upon yourself unexpectedly in a mirror :-)

tigerwife

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:16 pm
Depends on your coloring. I would do a deep red or coral but plum would look awful on me.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:18 pm
If you wear red lipstick, just make sure you wear neutral colors for eyeshadow - like taupes and light browns. Don't wear any blue/purple type of eyeshadows with red lipstick - it clashes awfully.

Same for blush - avoid pinks and go for more neutral/brownish colors.

blossoming

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:27 pm
If I were you I would avoid the basic red color and go for any other shade in the red family.

The fact that you brought the question up shows that in your heart you know genuine red may be problematic same as bright red garments are.

How about you get yourself red lipstick for "home" - you, your husband and kids? It's far from being the same as wearing it in public, but just purchasing it may make you feel good, despite your Kabbala to not to wear it outside. If you do manage to keep your red lips away from the outdoors don't forget to ask Hashem that a yeshua should be granted. Whenever I hold myself and give up a temptation in any aspect of Judaism, I take advantage to ask hashem to fulfill one of my many wishes on my long wish list.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 4:54 pm
OP here. I'm a busy mom and I rarely dress up at home. I think wearing red lipstick with an old robe will look weird. I want a lipstick that I can also wear when I go out. My question was more like what would you think if you would see me wearing red lipstick. I think I need to go to a store and give it a try.

Beyla

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:10 pm
I would think it looks nice with your outfit/your skin/color of hair.

IMO one can have different lipsticks for different occasions/season/color of outfit.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:24 pm
Really, really depends on your complexion, coloring, style of dress, etc. It can be just that pop of color to make you look alive, or it can be comical.
I always run new shades by my teen dds/sister/ others in the know. Do you have any one you know in real life who you could consult with?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:29 pm
Well, I look great and I think perfectly modest in red lipstick! I'm careful to wear it with the right colors. I have a dark olive complexion and wear a red that has a lot of blue undertones so I don't end up looking like a clown. I have a professional job but my mother always reminds me to wear the lipstick with a jean shirt to the store too. OP, try thr liostick on at a makeup counter, then walk around for 15-20 minutes and see how it looks. Also different brands look very different on.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:47 pm
OP again. I have dark hair, medium complexion, dress classic - usually a black skirt and a top - and I'm in my early 30s. I like dressing in black from head to toe.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:51 pm
Since I don't know you and neither does anyone else, seeing as you're amother, I can hardly judge whether you should never wear anything BUT red or whether you should be shot should you ever think to apply such a hue to your lips. I would not call it immodest, but I would call it difficult for most people to carry off. But many factors come into play, such as your coloring (usually the deeper your skintone the stronger the lipcolor you can handle)), the color of your teeth, the size of your lips (usually not the best look for exceptionally full lips), the degree of shine or lack thereof, how opaque or sheer it is, how dressy or casual your clothes are, how much color and sparkle you wear elsewhere, how much eye makeup you wear, how well you apply it (if you tend to be smeary or can't get both sides even, skip it) etc. etc. etc. Even your features make a difference: depending on the shape of your mouth, face and teeth, red lipstick can make you look like Snow White, or it can make you look like Dracula.

In short, try it on in a store, walk away from the store lights and check a mirror in daylight, try to check it in the kind of lighting in which you will be seen, e.g. somewhat dim shul or wedding-hall lights vs. fluorescent office lights, and ask a few random women passing by, not just the person behind the counter, who works on commission and whose job is to get you to buy.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:53 pm
I can wear red lipstick but I know that not everyone can. I am more the "snow white" type in my coloring. I have very dark brown hair/sheitel and eyebrows/lashes (almost black) and light skin with a little natural pink in my cheeks, my lips are naturaly very dark pink. When I wear reddish lipstick I suddenly look all made up. Which is funny because I rarely wear any makeup besides for my lips and a little mascara.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics