Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Can sensory disorders be prevented?

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 2:33 pm
I think I have mild sensory issues and since my children are still very young I'm wondering if there are activities that I could be doing with them to help prevent sensory issues from developing in them.

maestro

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:23 pm
Yes yes yes!!! My two older ones had significant delays and I evaluated my two younger ones at an early age and got specific exercises for them. Bli ayin harah, they r now 6 and 9 and I don't have si issues (or anxiety which was the problems with my older ones) with them. Feel free to pm me if u need more guidance.

maestro

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:25 pm
Btw if they r just mild sensory issues just make sure u expose them all experiences and that u keep an eye on their development. But if it's more than that - definitely work on it now. The younger the better.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:26 pm
I suggest giving them as wide a range of sensations as you possibly can. The more they are exposed to, the more they can learn to adapt. By age 4 or 5 sensory issues are pretty well in place, so feed your toddlers lots of different foods, have them walk on varied surfaces, and give them different textures to play with. Have them get used to different sounds in your environment, music, talk radio, pots and pans clanging, etc. All of this will help make them more resilient as they develop.

busydev

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 5:46 pm
Check out the books by Carol Stock Kranowitz, especially Growing an In Sync Child. That has different activities to help "normal" kids, vs her Out of Sync child books that explains SPD and has ideas that are specifically explained for children who do have SPD issues. most ppl do have some sensory something.... BUT its only a problem if everything is an issue with them and they are unable to function. But sensory activities are beneficial for all children.

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 6:00 pm
On behalf of all mothers who stay awake nights worrying that if they just did something different, their children would have been fine, I beg you not to go down that road.

Give them a varied sensory diet, great. Stay alert for issues and treat them early, wonderful.

But if a kid turns out to have any issues, sensory or otherwise, please do not assume it all could have been prevented.

Life is not so simple.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 6:33 pm
This is a highly unscientific answer, but I'm tempted to say no. I think there is a lot you can do to encourage healthy sensory development, but kids who are going to have serious SPD I think it comes from some combination of genetics and congenital factors and I don't know what else but it seems to be wired into them. But as others have said there is plenty you can do for all kids to encourage better development, and you'll notice which kids have issues with sensory activities regardless.

Be sure to remember that the sensory systems include vestibular (balance), proprioception (deep touch) and kinesthetic (I guess the simplest way to put that would be movement/position?) and not just sounds and tastes and such, and these "near" senses are possibly the most integral to healthy development. Let kids get their gross-motor activity, let them balance, climb, swing, whatever. It's not just about squishing playdough (though that's nice too...)

I have also heard OT's say that providing kids with too much input desensitizes them and makes them need more to feel regulated. For example, avoid bouncy bouncers for infants (e.g. the exersaucers that have springs in them rather than just a seat and activities) because the kids get so used to the bounce that they don't know what their body in normal space should feel like.

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:26 am
Thanks for all the great responses!

My issues are all with skin sensitivity. I don't like the way yarn feels and I can't wear tights and other synthetic fabrics without going berserk. I'm not even sure what the difference is between disliking certain textures and having "sensory issues".

is this just a matter of my own personal preference for smooth and loose clothing?

Should I start putting my 3 year old in tights even though I can't stand them?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics