Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Looking for school in monsey

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:36 am
looking for bais yaakov boro park type of school in monsey.
anyone out here can give me some info?
bais mikroh?
bnos derech yisroel?
bais rochel?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:45 am
Bas Mikroh and Bais Rochel have very different crowds. And they are both a lot more established than Bnos Derech Yisroel. Bair Rochel has its own high school and teaches Kodesh subjects in Yiddish (litvish havarah). The girls all wear tights. Bas Mikroh is an elementary school only. Their girls go on to Bais Yaakov high schools, do not learn Yiddish at all, and can wear socks.

With BYBP would your girls be in the Hebrew or Yiddish tracks?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:47 am
There aren't any schools in Monsey that are comparable to schools like BYBP, Vien, Tomer Devora, Bais Brocha, and even Bais Sura (yes, I know that those schools are different. I'm just saying that nothing of that type exists in Monsey).

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

wifenmother

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:51 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
There is no school is Monsey that is comparable to schools like BYBP, Vien, Tomer Devora, Bais Brocha, and even Bais Sura (yes, I know that those schools are different. I'm just saying that nothing of that type exists in Monsey).

Agreed!

OP - the schools you named as possible options are very different from each other like the amother above noted. You'll have to figure out where on the Bais Yaakov Boro Park spectrum you are so that you know which one of these schools are a close fit for you.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:52 am
What about Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
What about Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim?

That's more in line with Bas Mikroh than Bais Rochel. OP - what hashkafa is in line with yours?

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:53 am
not modern just nice neutral school.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:54 am
that doesnt put focus on chassidus or extreme stuff

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:18 pm
What about yeshiva spring valley

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:30 pm
There is also a new Bais Yaakov school in Suffern, the oldest class is 2nd grade

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:09 pm
would u have more info on new bais yaakov school in suffern?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:15 pm
Bais rochal is chassidish by now.
Chofetz Chaim is more modern then BYBP but so is YSV. But YSV is the closest choice.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:23 pm
bas mikrah?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:28 pm
Bas mikrah is lutvish.
They where struggling afew years ago so they took in many chassidish bums. (Sorry don't know a nicer way to express it, no offense to anyone!)
They stopped recently though.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
would u have more info on new bais yaakov school in suffern?

I know someone who sends her daughter there. It's Portnoy's Bais Yaakov. It's in the same building as Toras Imechu and Bais Shifra Miriam. They are a small school, ultra yeshivish, and they study limudei kodesh in Hebrew.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Bais rochal is chassidish by now.
Chofetz Chaim is more modern then BYBP but so is YSV. But YSV is the closest choice.

Huh?

I have very frum, BY type nieces there. As in, middle-of-the-road yeshivish type (like myself Smile ) I think if I lived in Monsey my girls would go to either Chofetz Chaim or YSV, or possibly the new BY (for younger kids). And I'd likely fit into BY of BP if I lived there.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:45 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Huh?

I have very frum, BY type nieces there. As in, middle-of-the-road yeshivish type (like myself Smile ) I think if I lived in Monsey my girls would go to either Chofetz Chaim or YSV, or possibly the new BY (for younger kids). And I'd likely fit into BY of BP if I lived there.

Chofetz Chaim & YSV are not similar to the new Bais Yaakov.
Portnoy's Bais Yaakov is similiar to Bais Rochel, just very Yeshivish whereas Bais Rochel is Heimish/Chassidish.

Also, BYBP is a huge school where pretty much anyone would be able to fit in. It's hard to compare smaller schools with a more specific "shnit" to a large, long standing, "community" school.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 3:13 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Chofetz Chaim & YSV are not similar to the new Bais Yaakov.
Portnoy's Bais Yaakov is similiar to Bais Rochel, just very Yeshivish whereas Bais Rochel is Heimish/Chassidish.

Also, BYBP is a huge school where pretty much anyone would be able to fit in. It's hard to compare smaller schools with a more specific "shnit" to a large, long standing, "community" school.

Do you know if the new Bais Yaakov accepts girls from Chassidish homes that are not modern just neutral- basically just the Chassidish levush and would send to BY in BP?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know if the new Bais Yaakov accepts girls from Chassidish homes that are not modern just neutral- basically just the Chassidish levush and would send to BY in BP?

PM me.

JudieMiller

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:20 pm
Would you be willing to board? Like at the Binah School? (absolute best girls day school I have ever seen) www.thebinahschool.org
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children