Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Severe Speech-language Delay/disability in NY

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:38 pm
My child has adhd (focusing, impulsivity issues, etc) and a severe speech-language delay. She was just evaluated and while we didn't get the report yet, the evaluator made it obvious that she was shocked at DC low reading level, etc. I'm wondering if P'tach in Brooklyn can help with this issue? I have only lukewarm feelings toward DC program right now. not sure it's doing everything it can for DC. I'm wondering if P'tach or anywhere else may specifically work with these types of issues. We are willing to look anywhere in NY/NJ areas.

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 6:02 am
Deep breaths!

Your first move needs to be to get the results of the eval, which will likely include some recommendations for services.

You can and should find out other options to your current plan, but not until you have the full report.

We can be more helpful if you share more information.

Who did this eval? How old is your DD? When was she diagnosed with the speech delay and ADHD? Who did the original evals? Where is she now in school?

The examiner sounds a little unprofessional, to be expressing shock like that during a test. You may want to follow up and verify results.

Whenever dealing with large decisions, the first thing to do is gather all relevant information, so your questions are good. But while finding out about programs is important, you will get much more out of your research once you have heard the full report.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:42 am
OP here. My daughter is currently in a special ed program, she is in first grade. We became aware of her issues and started eval's (NY Board of Ed) when she was in a mainstream regular Kindergarten and it became obvious that she wasn't mainstream or regular. She repeated K in a special ed program. We loved the K. This year, 1st grade, not so much. She doesn't have general LD just specifically what they call a language disability, plus behavioral issues. I'm concerned because the teachers have been going on all year about her behavioral issues and her meds but she's always done her hw and classwork so I assumed she was progressing as she should. Now, out of the blue, I hear that her reading level is way subpar. I'm disappointed in the program because if this was a huge issue, it should've been addressed with reading reinforcement hw throughout the year (as it was in K). Now I'm wondering if we lost an entire precious year of school without any reading progress at all. For example, she can try to read a Level 1 book but it is really way too hard for her and can take half an hour with a lot of prompting. I'm desperate for advise. (For myself, I made her a reading chart with huge incentive, just to make sure that she is practicing).

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:33 am
Hugs. Don't worry too much about the reading, because once the root causes are addressed and a program put in place, she can catch up very quickly. Maybe even over the summer.

You might want to go for a private eval with either a developmental pediatrician or a neurologist. It will take a while on a waiting list. But given your described constellation of issues, you probably want to check into ASD.

bnm

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 12:18 pm
Pathways in Brooklyn was advertising that they are a language based program.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:24 pm
bnm wrote:
Pathways in Brooklyn was advertising that they are a language based program.

What's the full name of the school, please?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:34 pm
My DD was the same, and I bought her a LeapPad. The spelling, reading, and math games on there are cute enough to keep her motivated. In one summer she jumped a grade and a half in reading skills. It was well worth the cost.

bnm

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:43 pm
I don't know the full name but this is the phone number (718) 887-6030
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)