Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Wedding gift for someone who has everything

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:50 pm
One of my bests friends is marrying off her daughter. She is a rich successful business woman in her 30s and really has everything. The future couple is not very frum.
We have absolutely no money at all but we want to bring a gift. WWYD? I'm afraid giving a check for a small amount will look cheap.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:58 pm
http://www.engravedgiftsandawards.com/
Amazingly custom engraved photo frame with wedding invitation. We got it as a gift and it's beautiful and we give it as gifts often; everyone loves it!

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:18 pm
Ask if they are registered anywhere. Chances are they are. Select a registry item you can afford if they have such a thing.
"not very frum" does not necessarily mean "divorced from all things Jewish". Most people who have any connection to Yiddishkeit at all still make or attend some sort of seder. A pretty but inexpensive seder plate might do the trick. Or, if you have some artistic/craft ability, make something like an embroidered challah cover or framed calligraphed blessing or Biblical verse or proverb (in English if they don't know Hebrew)like Birchat Habayit or Eishet Chayil. You could make it a plaque by printing in calligraphy font on heavy card stock or parchment-like paper, and decoupage to a slab of dark-stained wood.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:33 pm
How much were you thinking of spending?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How much were you thinking of spending?

Under $50. I want to get something special, original and really nice.
As for something like a seder plate, it's not so original and they have a very high standard of living. So a cheap one will really look cheap. Besides, they are not starting off in life, so they probably have all the basics and more.

naomi2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:59 pm
Another vofor one to check the registry.
Why try to guess what they want when they posted clearly for everyone what they are looking for??
Ask the mom if they are registered anywhere and pick something in your budget. Voila!

rachelbg

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:11 pm
How about a beautiful, hand crafted mezuzah cover? (Since I assume you can't afford the mezuzah scroll as well.) Even if they aren't frum, they'll most likely appreciate the sentimental value. Many, many non frum people understand what a mezuzah is (or the concept of it, at least), and know what you're supposed to do with it. They'll appreciate that you're marking their married life with a symbol of the traditional Jewish home.

At best they'll symbolically place it by one of their doors, most likely without anything inside the case.
Or they'll put it in a display case in the home.
At worst they'll put it away in a drawer, like all unwanted wedding gifts.

Even better, they'll hand it off to their child when he/she becomes a baal/as teshuvah, and that child can really use it!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:34 pm
I'm not sure I want to get something related to Judaism. Her parents became frum after she had already left the house some 15 years ago and were, I think, kind of pushy in trying to make her also frum. I don't want to be her mom's frum friend who also is also trying to make her frum. She is nice, intelligent and very respectful. I want to make her happy by getting something she will truly appreciate.
Inquiring about a registry sounds like a good idea.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:20 am
Monogrammed hand towels
Personalized mugs
Personalized door mat
Potpourri set
Plant
Magazine rack
Serving spoon and fork set
Pretty salad bowl
Personalized cutting board
Name plate for door
Personalized umbrellas

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:52 am
Candy dish.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:55 am
For a couple starting married life, Judaic gifts are seen as nice, not pressure. Was this daughter upset with her parents becoming frum and actively expressed her distaste for Judaica? If not, it's probably totally fine. Even if they only use it occasionally.

You could consider going to one of those places where you can paint pottery (they are popular in the US East Coast, not sure about elsewhere), and painting something personal. A plate that could be used for challah or for general serving, with the names of the couple and a picture of something special to them.

But a registry is always the place to start. And sometimes, you can find an equivalent of similar quality for less, if finances are an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics