Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Hand delivering invitations

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:39 pm
Do you think it looks cheap when you get a invitation to a simcha without a stamp? I was discussing with the printer different options for invitations. And how much different invitations cost to mail. He suggested for me to hand deliver the local invitations to keep the cost down and go with a square invite or something heavier. And if we drop off a big bulk of invitations by hand we will save the money that way. What do you think?

Kitten

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:44 pm
Many people do this. I actually find it nice when someone takes the time to bring me an invitation (even if money is probably the main factor) and I can congratulate this person on the upcoming simcha.

Sadie

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:49 pm
I don't know if there are communities where people make a thing about having stamps on their envelopes, but I hand delivered some invitations to my wedding and those were to the most special people.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:56 pm
Why not? That way you know for sure they got it.
In the days when the original Emily Post was emily-posting, the most elegant invitations were hand-delivered. Postal service was for peasants.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:07 pm
OP here I would leave it in mailbox and not ring the bell.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
OP here I would leave it in mailbox and not ring the bell.

That may be illegal. Mailboxes are for exclusive use of USPS.
But even if it is legal and the letter carrier will not discard it if s/he finds it in the box, why would you not stop to say hi to the addressees? I assume these are friends and relatives of yours, otherwise why are you inviting them?

abemom2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:30 pm
Shipping is expensive here , so almost everyone drops it off in the mailbox. Not everyone has time to talk to everyone they deliver to, and most of the time the kids are delivering.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:34 pm
We did hand deliveries, but for a different reason. When I was getting married, my ILs were being impossible and among other things kept changing their minds about the date (always pushed off a little later, of course) and the location. My mother put her foot down and had invitations printed with the original date and location. At this point, there was less than a month to go (it was already the week the RSVPs would have been due back had the invitations gone out when they should have) plus it would prevent my ILs from changing their minds again. To ensure that everything happened immediately, we hand delivered all local invitations (which b'h was most of them). DH got two friends to drive around to different neighborhoods, DH himself covered another one, I covered one, each of my parents covered one, and I also had two friends out delivering. We were up all night running around town delivering them, but it got done. It was stressful at the time but also rather exhilarating, and of course now, it makes for a great story!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:52 pm
I've seen it where people hand deliver but still put on the stamp so as not to look cheap. I've also seen people pay for hand delivery services. The real question is what your community normally does/will think and more importantly if you actually care that someone is noticing and judging you about the presence or absence of a stamp.

Happy Go Lucky

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:10 pm
I don't think that there's anything wrong with hand delivery, this way you ensure that your friends get the invite. No need to ring bell - that would take soooo much time, and unnecessary.
Mazal Tov!!

LovetoLive

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:13 pm
In my community everyone drops off invitations by hand or rather they drive around with a kid and the kid runs out and drops off the invitation.
If I got an invitation with a stamp I would just assume they had more money than time. No biggie either way.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:14 pm
I've never heard of not mailing them. But I wouldn't care.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics