Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Frustrated, but feeling guilty - vent

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:36 pm
My dd had a minor stomach virus on Tuesday, a little nauseous, a little diarrhea, and very tired, she slept for hours. By suppertime she was feeling much better, she was already playing outside. She really could have gone to school yesterday, but she claimed she still felt nauseous, so I let her stay home and she was really just fine. She woke up this morning saying her stomach really hurt, I figured she was constipated, which usually happens to me after a stomach virus, and she has a history of getting constipated often. She ended up in the bathroom just until after her siblings went on the bus. She claimed she needed to rest, I agreed she could rest for a little and then I would drive her to school. Ten minutes later I went to check on her and she was "fast asleep", didn't even move when I called her name a few times.

I'm going through a hard time with something right now, and I really needed some "me" time this week. I didn't want to serve meals all day and give attention all day, but Tues and Wed I didn't have a choice. Today I thought I would work (from home) for a few hours and then go out and treat myself for the afternoon. Some shopping, some ice cream, just take care of me.

I really wanted to "wake" her, but I felt so selfish, normally I would have let her stay home. So I let her "sleep", I didn't check on her for a couple of hours, because I really didn't want to have to deal with her. Who knows, maybe she was sleeping. She "woke up" about lunch time, still "really nauseous" but no other symptoms. By two she was feeling all better, only wanted bagel pizza for lunch and just wants to schmooze and have fun together. Which would all normally be fine, but today was for ME.

So I'm feeling all frustrated with her, and I'm being very "busy" with work stuff. But I'm also feeling guilty, because it's not her fault I needed a me day.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:11 pm
Why should you feel guilty? I think all kids need to know that sick day doesn't always automatically equal fun-time-with-Mommy day. Life goes on even when we get sick. You sound like a really great mom, that you took care of her basic needs, let her stay home and sleep because she wasn't well, even though it meant giving up the time you really needed for yourself. If that doesn't make you super mom, I don't know what does. Smile

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:21 pm
Thanks. Don't we all wish we could feel like Supermom?
Actually, just writing it out helped me feel better, and I went out with her for an hour which also helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children