Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Male shaitel stylist

frumnproud

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:01 pm
Do you think its right for a male to be working at a shaitel salon?

Last edited by frumnproud on Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:11 pm
It's not the norm in the frum community

frumnproud

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:16 pm
It was in boro park! Woman walking around holding their wigs and their heads uncovered while takking to him. Another lady was getting ger wig blown and cut by him.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:28 pm
OP, I'm guessing you don't have a male gynecologist, either.

If you don't like the guy, don't go to him. Maybe he's so incredibly gay that no one feels threatened by him. Maybe he's the best sheitelmacher this side of the Rockies, and he has a 6 month waiting list. You never know.

To each his or her own.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:30 pm
1. Is the stylist Jewish? AIUI, the issur is for a Jewish man to see a married woman's hair. NonJewish men "don't count".
2. They may not think of the stylist as a "man". They probably assume he is gay.
3. If he is styling a wig, he is not fondling the woman's own hair, so what's the problem?
4. Maybe these women wear sheitlach in public because of social pressure but do not themselves believe in kissui rosh.
5. I have no idea where you got the idea that it is "the norm" for men to style sheitlach, but I seriously doubt that this is the case except perhaps in show business, where there is BIG money. Any job that is "women's work" becomes men's work when it generates the big bucks.
6. have you never gone to a lingerie store only to find that you have to ask some chassidish man for your make, model and size bra? And he looks for it and hands it to you?
7.If it upsets you so much, go to another salon. This cannot be the only salon in BP that styles wigs.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:31 pm
Was there mixed dancing too?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:30 pm
I learned (MO, maybe charedi is more lenient??) that a married woman covers also in front of non jews.

That said in this case, it's professional. There are certainly heterim for him and for her.

That said, no I would not be comfy. At all.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:34 pm
OP, I think you're right. But is this really what you wanted to be your first posts about? Have you tried speaking to local rebbetzins, anything else before semi anonymously blasting a community?
I say semi anonymously because while we do put a lot of stock in screen names, as in vs. going amother, most of us - and especially newbies - are fairly anonymous. Just saying.

frumnproud

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:00 pm
Im sorry if it sounded like I was blasting, I was just very surpised to see that.

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:34 pm
I've heard of this too, and it baffles me.
My mother says that thirty years ago, the most popular hair stylist in Williamsburg was a male, and all the Satmar girls went to him, but that was before the radicalization of Tznius in the Chassidish and yeshivish worlds.

That's why this is so wrong. You (general you) set yourself impossibly high standards of tznius, you come up with new chumrahs every second day, you wear skirts six inches below your knees and necklines that are choking you and you ridicule those who don't, yet you allow a man to see your hair and style your sheitels. What hypocrisy.

And no, this is nothing like a male doctor.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:56 pm
Mine is male. A total pro. Not an issue for me. But wouldn't consider a male gyn which lots of women (on this site) have no problem doing. Different strokes for different folks

Last edited by pesek zman on Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:06 pm
Maya wrote:
I've heard of this too, and it baffles me.
My mother says that thirty years ago, the most popular hair stylist in Williamsburg was a male, and all the Satmar girls went to him, but that was before the radicalization of Tznius in the Chassidish and yeshivish worlds.

That's why this is so wrong. You (general you) set yourself impossibly high standards of tznius, you come up with new chumrahs every second day, you wear skirts six inches below your knees and necklines that are choking you and you ridicule those who don't, yet you allow a man to see your hair and style your sheitels. What hypocrisy.

And no, this is nothing like a male doctor.

If it matters, that is not my community. At all.

SorGold

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:25 pm
I have seen it and yes I find it odd And yes it bothers me.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:29 pm
frumnproud wrote:
Im sorry if it sounded like I was blasting, I was just very surpised to see that.

I don't blame you. As I've said, there are some people who seem to consider it their G-d given mission in life to make as many people as cynical as they can. And while I think these ladies are not evil or pathological, it's sad that they don't think it through and that this goes on. There are many inconsistencies and hypocrisies out there and it's not likely to get better till Moshiach comes. (Check out Ikvesa D'Meshica.)

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:27 pm
I've seen this too and it's VERY strange. I went to a Milano sheital sale at their Brooklyn showroom and there were tons of women walking around, bareheaded, trying on different sheitalach, and the male hairdresser was just standing their watching/doing their hair.

I found it strange. I was one of the few who went behind a curtain to try on sheitals. In fact, they didn't really have a try-on place, they just assumed everyone would just try on sheitals with a man there. ANd they were right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels