Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Tuna Fish and Mercury?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:29 pm
My daughter just recently started loving tuna fish. I know that tuna has high levels of mercury but does anyone know how much tuna per week is safe? My daughter also eats fish sticks, which are made from Pollock, which I believe is a lower mercury fish. Can I give my daughter tuna twice a week in addition to the fish sticks? I looked online and almost everything I read was horrible, like children under a certain age should avoid albacore tuna completely. I'm not sure if I should believe anything I've read, but I just want to be sure and see if anyone else feeds their young children tuna. My daughter is a pretty picky eater, but the fact that she at least is willing to eat fish is great and I don't want to take that away from her. Thanks in advance for your responses.

smss

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:38 pm
http://chriskresser.com/5-reas.....ided/

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:27 pm
I've read that the dark tuna is better than the white albacore, is she picky about that or can you substitute that?

I really don't think two preschooler-sized servings per week is going to be harmful. Fish is so healthy and the jury seems to be out on the mercury issue, and I strongly dislike every fish other than tuna (heavily disguised in salad) so I personally throw caution to the wind and eat it on average three times a week even while pregnant. Even if there is mercury in there, how much can it be already?

SorGold

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:46 pm
Stick with the dark variety if you must. The article linked is missing alot of scientific info and mercury toxicity is real. Dr. Landrigan, a top doctor in pediatric environmental toxins highly disagrees (as do many commenters) . In all deference, he is more of a name in pediatric neuro toxins than chris kresser.
I would try and encourage sardines or better yet and more similar to tuna, canned wild salmon as a substitute if you can. Give her a high quality fish oil supplement that is tested for mercury levels.

Try to wean her off the fish stick. There is no nutrition there.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:58 pm
I have a child on the spectrum and he has been eating tuna fish sandwiches daily for years. He is 10. He wouldn't eat anything else. Recently we took him to a dr who does complementary medicine and was not happy about the high mercury that must be in his system. He has us switch to canned salmon (pink), which has hardly any mercury. We did it very gradually ie 2/3 tuna to 1/3 salmon. He is completely off tuna now. Try that. It's really not good to have so much tuna

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:01 pm
I wouldn't give more than a half a can a week to a child that small. Even now, we try to eat one can a week at most.

I agree with switching to canned salmon. Leave the bones in, they're full of calcium, and crunchy!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:01 pm
amother wrote:
I have a child on the spectrum and he has been eating tuna fish sandwiches daily for years. He is 10. He wouldn't eat anything else. Recently we took him to a dr who does complementary medicine and was not happy about the high mercury that must be in his system. He has us switch to canned salmon (pink), which has hardly any mercury. We did it very gradually ie 2/3 tuna to 1/3 salmon. He is completely off tuna now. Try that. It's really not good to have so much tuna

did you have actual mercury testing done or the doctor just assumed he would have high levels.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:08 pm
Oh my! My ds only eats tuna for lunch everyday! It haven't even occurred to be as an issue embarrassed thanx for posting this! Any ideas what I can make for him? He needs to wash, and he hates cream cheese and can't bring peanut butter to school.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:08 pm
We did have them done. Blood work. They were on the High range but not crazy high. He now says they are in his system and wants to do another jtreatment to get the Mercury out of his system. H
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers