Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Packing tips?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:28 pm
I will be moving to a new home with my family in the very near future. We're not going too far; we're actually staying in the same neighborhood. Is there anything I should keep in mind before starting to pack?
When packing books and seforim, is it OK to fill up boxes with just books, or would that be too heavy for the movers to lift? It would be so much simpler if like items can be packed in the same box...
TIA!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:38 pm
Tips:

Get small boxes for books and seforim. Yes, I would pack "like" items together.

Label boxes on more than one side.

Label by intended room.

Consider making some boxes "priority" boxes to be unpacked first, like things you need to make Shabbos or essential milchik or fleishik pots and pans. Mark them with a big asterisk or other easily recognizable symbol.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:42 pm
You can definitely pack boxes with just books, but you can't use big boxes. Use ones that are roughly the size of a case of wine or one size larger. Tape the box in a cross pattern (completely around length and width) with filament tape.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 4:49 pm
If possible, pack everything you need the first night (food, disposable dishes, pj's, toiletries, bedding, clothes for the next day, cell phone charger, flashlight,benchers etc.) and carry it with you, not on the moving van.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:35 pm
zaq wrote:
If possible, pack everything you need the first night (food, disposable dishes, pj's, toiletries, bedding, clothes for the next day, cell phone charger, flashlight,benchers etc.) and carry it with you, not on the moving van.

Good advice, in all my moves I have a couple 'today' boxes. One with meds, tp, towels and linens another with cleaning supplies and usually a third food or snacks and eating utensils. If there are pets involved pack one with their needful items too.

Miri7

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:44 pm
When we move I pack a suitcase like we are going on a trip and bring it with me in the car : clothes, phone charge, toss in bed linens and towels.

Before packing try to get rid of extra stuff.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:52 am
How do you pack dishes and glasses? Does each item need to be individually wrapped in bubble wrap?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:58 am
See if you can get some wine boxes from a local liquor store. They're great for packing glasses because they're already partitioned.

Dishes should be very carefully wrapped and stacked. Use extra paper to fill any empty spots so the dishes can't move around in the box.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 9:25 pm
Each plate is wrapped individually? Do you use bubble wrap or paper? What kind of paper? Shelving? Newspaper? Please elaborate. TIA.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
Each plate is wrapped individually? Do you use bubble wrap or paper? What kind of paper? Shelving? Newspaper? Please elaborate. TIA.

Yes, each ate individually. Pack it the way you would want it if the van/truck made huge bumps along the way.
I used a combination of tons of paper towels and newspaper for the dishes. It was a huge job. I was worn out by the time we got to the kitchen packing, and we needed to leave a few days early at the end, so I paid my cleaner to carefully pack up the kitchen.
For sefarim, I suggest asking the mover story bring milk crates with them. My mover said regular boxes would split open from the weight of the shas so Ieft the shas set for them to pack when they came with their heavy crates.
Speak to them in advance about wardrobe boxes as well. It was such a relief to be able to keep all the hanging stuff in the closet. When they came, they transferred at the hangers/clothes to the rods in the wardrobe boxes. And when we arrived at the new place, the clothes had been unpacked by them and already hanging by the time they left.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:02 pm
We were lucky when we moved a few years ago. DH's father is a professional packing expert. I mean that literally. He's the manager of a packaging plant. He packed up our dishes so well that nothing so much as chipped. He wrapped each dish individually in a sheet of newspaper and I think he also placed a piece of corrugated in between each dish in the stack. Newspaper is free but messy. We had to wash all the dishes when we unpacked. You can buy rolls of butcher paper if you prefer. Bubble wrap should also work. Better to go to the trouble of being extra cautious then save some time and lose some dishes.

Amother because of identifying details.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics