Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Overweight/ obese 2 yr old. Pls help

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:38 pm
Dd is a little over 2 yrs old. She was a soft pudgy baby who put on weight rapidly from the moment she was born. It seemed cute to me until her height percentiles began to normalize and her weight percentiles continued to climb.
At her last visit she was 60%tile for height and 85%tile for weight. (She is 2ft 11inches, and 31.5 lb) bmi charts consider her almost obese. I have asked the dr about this more than once and her answer is, she's still within normal range so there's nothing to worry about.
I am especially concerned because dh and I both struggle with our weight.
Also,Dd loves to eat. She's the first to the table. If she hears the russle of a food bag, or chewing she comes running.
She loves simple carbs and sweets. She refuses most healthy proteins or complex carbs and then begs for bananas and crackers until the next meal. (I don't give in, sometimes offer Apple or cucumber sticks)
She has no concept of portion control. If she likes something she will keep eating until she is stopped.
She loves to have something in her mouth. She sucks her thumb, mouths objects, and eats nonexibles like soap in the bathtub, or like today when she gnawed off a piece of our swing set and continued to chew it! I don't take out the crayons or playdough when she's around because she eats- not tastes- it!
She is sedentary. If I am not engaging her she is content to sit and suck her thumb or stack some toys. When we go to the park or for a bike ride she plays for a bit and then begs to be held while her brother plays.
What can I do to help her?I save sweets n cake for shabbos. Play in the backyard in the morn. Take the kids to the park or a bike ride in the evening. Try to include her in my morning excercize ( she participates for only a min)
(Btw her older brother is very active, has naturally healthy tastebuds, stops eating when he is full/ feels satisfied, and is interested when I explain that something is/ isn't healthy.
I am so worried because she is so young and her habits seem like the perfect storm. Any and all advice please

naomi2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:43 pm
Maybe get a second opinion. Even though she's within normal. The weigh the gain is rapid. Also u seem concerned and mommy knows best. Maybe check her thyroid, or for allergies.
You seem to b doing everything right good luck!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:57 pm
Get her evaluated for early intervention. The things you mentioned about eating everything can be treated by an ot trained with Julia harper's sensory processing approach. Try to get her approved for services. They are free in the US. If you live elsewhere, I can't really help because I don't know.

Eta: most kids aren't sedentary for no reason. It's possible she has low muscle tone-another reason to try to get her services

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:06 pm
Op here: dd is receiving ot 1x weekly. Her therapist is not concerned with her mouthing objects and says she will outgrow it. She qualified for services because she was sensory - toe walking..., but has gotten past that.
I appreciate the 1/2 he of excercize she gets so I haven't suggested stopping the therapy.
I have mentioned her mouthing and eating non food items to do many professionals but their response is either a chuckle or "don't wory shell outgrow it.
But I am worried

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:12 pm
I am an ot as well with a child with sensory issues similar to yours. I disagree wih the other professionals. Ask your ot how long she has been working, if she's seen cases like this before resolve themselves, and if she has specific training in sensory approaches. See what she says. It may or may not be time to look for someone more trained in your specific needs. This is not something covered extensively in ot school. It takes special training.
I am currently treating an elementary school girl who is still eating eraser shavings, and pieces of her desk. I am not sure that she will grow out of it by then without the proper help.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:59 pm
About the food have healthy snacks for her and give it to her the same time every day. cut up apples, fat free yogurt, whole wheat crackers with peanut butter, animal cookies in a baggie.

Make her food healthier. If she only eats sandwiches it should be on whole wheat bread. check label, no sugar.

Only water to drink. Get rid of the juice from your house.

My ds was off the charts for weight and 95% for height at this age. He is now 10 and his bmi is borderline. he is very concous of what he eats. Exercise is very important, but unfortunately a struggle.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:07 pm
OP, if you and DH are struggling with your weight too, then try getting all of the sugar, simple carbs, and other junk out of the house. You say that DS makes healthy choices, so he shouldn't miss it that much anyway.

If you don't have it around, she won't have what to beg for, because she won't see anyone else eating it either. If the whole family is on board for a healthier food plan, you will have the most success.

Talk to a nutritionist, and ask if a Paleo type food plan (I will not use the word diet!) will work for you.

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:29 pm
Tx for the replies.
Our house is pretty healthy already. There is no juice (kids n I prefer water anyway)
My cooking is pretty basic and low fat.
Treats r reserved for shabbos (and for a goal ds is working towards)
Dinner is usually half veg 1/4 protein 1/4 carb.
Lunch is usually a sandwich n salad or cut veg.
Breakfast is usually healthy cottage cheese n fruit or... But Cheerios when we're rushing.
Dd has 1 snach between breakfast n lunch. Usually a banana.
Blah blah blah...
My point is that eating healthier seems the obvious solution, but my house has always been healthy. Ds took the bait and eats healthy. Dd naturally likes unhealthy foods. And asks for them, but doesn't get them Cuz they're not around.
So suggestions to offer healthy food choices, eliminate sugary drinks... Those rnt the problem.
Which is what worries me. I feel like this is about slow metabolism/ genetics, and personality
But what to do?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:38 pm
I feel that if you deprive of then as she gets older she will just take things herself when you aren't looking.

I'm not telling you to offer her lollypops and jelly beans but perhaps some whole wheat crackers with peanut butter or skim milk with a spoon of chocolate syrup? I would be hungry if I only ate cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast... maybe it's just me but that would fill me up for and hour and then I would be looking for the cookies.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:46 pm
OP, it sounds like you have a really good handle on the food situation. I apologize if you felt like I was talking down to you, that was not my intention (I often come across wrong online somehow. embarrassed )

Trust your instincts, and insist on a referral to an endocrinologist for starters. If her calorie intake is normal, then you have every right to push your doctors - even if they give in just to shut you up. I also second looking into low muscle tone and the lack of exercise.

Good for you for being so aware! Nobody knows your baby as well as you do. Hug

BTW, my DD was exactly like yours. At 2 years she was 55th% for height, and 105% for weight - off the charts! She's 11 now and is healthy and proportionate, but she has a family history of thyroid problems, so we're keeping a close eye on it. She would also live entirely on white sugar and simple carbs if I let her. I have to insist that she eat fruits, veggies, and lean protein BEFORE she can have bread, rice, or noodles. I don't even put the carbs on her plate until she's eaten all the healthy stuff first. I feel your pain!

ohmygosh

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:20 am
Quote:
I am currently treating an elementary school girl who is still eating eraser shavings, and pieces of her desk.

Not to go off topic, but this stuck out at me. This is called Pica (eating non edible items). Has she been evaluated medically for anemia?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:20 am
Hugs, OP. That does not sound easy.
Have you tried taking her to the park once a day for about an hour? Maybe seeing other kids playing with stimulate her desire for activity?

Schedule her meals and control her portions. You are the one in control of her meals. She is still so young...she is only 2...so it's not like she can go the store or go into the fridge and get it herself (and if she can, then place everything far back so she can't reach).

I also had an overweight toddler. BH now he is in the healthy weight range - I tried to feed him as healthy as I could. If he refused, then that's fine, nothing will happen to a chubby toddler who skips a meal or a snack (after refusing healthy foods for a while and not being given alternatives, kids usually cave in). I also gave him a lot of water (around 1 cup AFTER every meal and let him drink as much as he wanted)

Here's what I fed him:
breakfast: one boiled or scrambled egg or cubed cheese/string cheese, fruit, and 2 rice cakes
snack: a few whole wheat crackers, apple chips, dried apples (with no sugar added), fresh fruits, cucumbers, yogurt
lunch: whole wheat bread with cream cheese or whole grain pasta with tomato sauce
snack: same as above
dinner: salad (cucumber, tomatoes, peppers - I often put some lemon juice and salt on top) and whatever we are having for dinner (grilled chicken, rice, baked sweet potatoes, chicken meatballs, steamed string beans, kidney beans, etc.) I would give him a cool looking plate (those hard plastic ones) and put one portion of carbs, one portion of grains, and one portion of protein. And that's all he gets. If he wanted more vegetables, I would always give him more.

Between the ages of 18 months and 3, he gained approx 2 lbs (and that is probably due to him getting taller) And he is now very slim.
Now that he is slim, I do not monitor his eating as much. Interestingly enough, he is now a picky eater and I need to beg him to eat Very Happy

Good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:37 am
Buy her a flute. An alto flute, lower pitch tones. That's for the mouth. She will have something in her mouth, a feeling she likes, and something interesting will be happening, making sounds. That might deflect eating. You may get a little bothered by the noise but it might be a good idea anyway.

Maybe a triangle too. That might put her sensory needs somewhere else than the mouth, into sound production. A xylophone. Perhaps drums. Same idea.

Get some yogurt into her, the live kind. Her gut flora may not be right. Everybody in the house can benefit from that.

I would stop talking about how healthy this or that food is. Just say nothing. Your son has got the point and your daughter isn't listening. Making an issue isn't so great.

If possible, make a swing in the house, see if you can get through to the beams, one in her room would be good, but anywhere.

You might make her sleep on the top level of a bunk bed. Fill the bottom with storage and sharp boxes. Climbing up is exercise. And down. Some have stairs instead of a ladder. Later if not now.

Don't have adorable, interesting, colorful imagery all over the kitchen walls, and the fridge magnets. They make the kitchen the most interesting room in the house.

Have no magazines around with slickly colorful photos of the latest recipe. Those food stylists know how to make people eat. Simply cancel your subscriptions. That's saner than taking a razor blade to every issue and removing the ads.

Yes, get a better professional, as recommended by an expert above. I am no expert at all.

Leahh

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:16 am
Is she home with you/sitter all day or does she go to playgroup?
It sounds like alot of her habits could possibly be out of boredom. If she's constantly busy in playgroup and has scheduled eating times (you can do this at home too but may be harder to enforce) it may help. Also sending to a morah that has rules about what snacks can be brought will also help because she won't be allowed to bring junk and she also won't see other kids eating it.
You can't put her on a diet at this age but you can put her in a healthier food environment.
My child, about the same age, wants whatever I'm eating. So when I'm having a salad I give him the vegetables. (I am overweight so I try to eat alot of salads for lunch instead of carbs) Now he loves vegetables to the point that if he sees salad on the table he'll throw a tantrum until he gets some. Yes, I agree that is extreme but maybe sharing your healthy foods with her will help.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:55 pm
I can't believe people think it's normal to put a 2 yr old on a diet! OP, what exactly are you worried about?? So what if she is in the 85th percentile? So she is higher up in weight but not off the chart at all. As she grows she will tone down. If she is hungry, give her food! Not pizza and potato chips but other filling items that don't have a lot of fat and sugar in them. An occasional cookie wont harm her and make her fat. If you deprive her now she will just crave for it more. I think you are coming on too hard on a baby who is still on the chart. Please dont put her on a diet just be careful not to offer her sugar loaded drinks and fat loaded snacks. You also shouldn't be offering her food as a reward. That will give her the wrong message. Instead try offering her a small toy, stickers ....

nylon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:45 pm
I disagree with the advice to give low fat foods. This isn't recommended in young children and they may just eat more of the lower fat food. Kids this age also have small stomachs. So they need nutritionally dense foods, not things that are too bulky. She'll keep eating more often if you just try feeding her veggies or fat free yogurt.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about her weight. Both of my kids have fluctuated. that's why th doctor says no problem. often these kids gain a lot, then they shoot up but stop gaining weight, and it averages.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:50 pm
nylon wrote:
I disagree with the advice to give low fat foods. This isn't recommended in young children and they may just eat more of the lower fat food. Kids this age also have small stomachs. So they need nutritionally dense foods, not things that are too bulky. She'll keep eating more often if you just try feeding her veggies or fat free yogurt.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about her weight. Both of my kids have fluctuated. that's why th doctor says no problem. often these kids gain a lot, then they shoot up but stop gaining weight, and it averages.

Yes to all this.

I vote OP should forget the whole thing for one year. At three, we'll see.

She must not be bored, agree.

One of the reasons jail is a universal punishment is it's being bored.

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:56 pm
Her height and weight are NORMAL!!! Serve healthy foods, give her a chance to have physical activity, but please relax, as she has no problem. You and your husband should become role models for her, so if you are overweight, you can focus on yourselves, but please do not worry about your child. Children come in all sizes that are normal, and a lot of it has to do with bone density, genetics, or the like. Her weight percentile is normal!!!

rachelbg

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:28 pm
Just keep in mind that a child's physical profile at age 2 doesn't dictate his or her physical profile forever. Keep her busy and moving, make healthy food choices, and clearly delineate when it is "eating time" and when "eating time is over."
Good luck, and yes, I know this issue can be really challenging.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 11:43 pm
The yogurt was just for the beneficial intestinal gut flora. Not as a "diet" food. Full fat yogurt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics