Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much notice do I need to give?
1  2  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 11:07 pm
I work freelance and I have one company that I have been working for 10 years.
they won't give me a raise and I feel like I have to turn down other work so I decided I need to stop with them. The problem is I know their business is very dependent on me.

agreer

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 11:23 pm
2weeks

LN

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 11:27 pm
10 years is a long time for a work relationship. Have you told them you feel you need to turn down other work?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 3:22 am
yes it's a long time
but I asked for a raise and each time they can't go up
I have people paying me much more

at this point I feel I can't do the hours this client needs and take in other work so I"m very tempted to just drop this client and just do other work

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 3:25 am
Give a date that you need a raise by. Your prices have gone up, you are still available to work for them, on your terms.

Talya

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 4:43 am
Don't officially leave them. Tell them this is your new price and they can take it or leave it. If they need you that badly they'll come up with a way to pay it. If not and they are really desperate they will find someone whose prices they can afford. It doesn't sound like you are scared to lose their business so it can't hurt to try.

mille

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 6:03 am
Two weeks is pretty standard, a month if you have a very specialized job or its built into a contract.

oliveoil

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 6:15 am
If you're freelance, you shouldn't be asking for a raise, you should be informing them in advance that in the beginning of x month your rates will be going up to xyz. Then it's up to them.

Barbara

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
I work freelance and I have one company that I have been working for 10 years.
they won't give me a raise and I feel like I have to turn down other work so I decided I need to stop with them. The problem is I know their business is very dependent on me.

Send out notice of your "new" prices, with a cover letter saying that because they're a long time client, you can offer them an x% discount if they do y amount of work with you in a month. Two months is good etiquette for a price increase.

If they say they can't pay it, wish them well.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 7:28 am
the problem is all my new clients pay me almost double what they pay me

so $1 more an hour isn't going to change me at this point.

I'm not sure if I should say I'm going up in price (but my new price is going to be ridiculous to them )
or just quit.

I know that it won't be easy for them to replace me

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 7:50 am
As a biz owner of ten years who works with valued contractors, I feel the two month rate increase suggestion to be the most respectable time frame to honor the relationship and how we have helped each other over the years. This would give me adequate time to transition or plan how I might meet your new rates. Another consideration May be project pricing or piece pricing rather than by the hour. You probably are quite efficient and this may be a win for both parties.

Smile1234

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 9:05 am
When was the last time you asked them for a raise? You're price increase may not come as such a shock to them...

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 10:30 am
I have a similar situation, I freelance, but my main client has been my client the longest.
My fees are way lower than I feel I should get, every time I bring up the fact that my fees have gone up, they say they can't pay more.
Since they are my oldest client and give me the most work, I feel stuck too.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 3:59 am
hi I need advice again

in the beginning of may I told my client that I am giving him one month notice.
He felt that he needed more time like possibly 2-3 months.

I called him yesterday and told him that now nearing the end of may I want to tell him that I will work till the end of june and from July 1st my price is going up. it's about 20% extra - remember I have not raised him in years. My other clients pay almost double but I am not raising him that much

he said it's impossible and not fair to him and he needs more time to find someoone dependable
(which in my opinion but I can't tell him might be impossible at rates he is paying me)

I told him I didn't think it was fair and he should think about it

what would you do? I can work a bit longer but how much longer do I need to give him at the same low price.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:08 am
I have no experience in this area. That said, You are not responsible for his business decisions and success. You already gave him notice, he should have gotten to work researching already.
If you want to maintain a good relationship maybe raise your price over the course of a few months, 5% a month.
Don't let him bully you or guilt you.

rosehill

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:23 am
Iymnok wrote:
I have no experience in this area. That said, You are not responsible for his business decisions and success. You already gave him notice, he should have gotten to work researching already.
If you want to maintain a good relationship maybe raise your price over the course of a few months, 5% a month.
Don't let him bully you or guilt you.

^^^that!

Is this a charitable organization, and that's why you're finding this so difficult? If you want to consider this "tzedaka" that you do, you can certainly choose to think of it that way, though I still feel you're being taken advantage of.

Or is this a profit making business, in which case every dollar he's not paying you, he's putting into his own pocket. There is no slave labour in this country. You have no obligation to work for anyone, except under the conditions you set. You don't get to walk into the supermarket, and say, I can't pay $9 for a jar of coffee, so I'll pay $6, and you'll honour that until I find another supermarket!

Like Iymnok, I'm not a business person, so I may be off the mark here, but it sure sounds like this guy is manipulating you.

Smile1234

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:39 am
You told him very fairly you were giving one months notice and then you gave in to an additional month before the 20% increase. Tell him very calmly that all your other clients are paying you double your current salary and if he wants to keep you you're happy to work on your terms. (And you should also set in place a price increase in a few months time, so there are no hard feelings if you do end up staying on).

I see no reason to be guilted into staying at your same price. Stick to your guns!

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:53 am
From seagreen . . . Raising 5% a month is a nice idea. You might also offer to train a new person at a lower rate to ease the transition and honor the relationship (10 years is as long time).

oliveoil

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:13 am
Grow a backbone! You gave him plenty of notice, you're not even raising him to your current price, and he doesn't employ you - you're freelance. You don't need to do anything more.

But learn for the future to keep putting your rates up yearly for existing clients so you don't get into the same situation.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:26 am
amother wrote:
From seagreen . . . Raising 5% a month is a nice idea. You might also offer to train a new person at a lower rate to ease the transition and honor the relationship (10 years is as long time).

She already told him 20%. If she banks off thenshe is training him to complain and she will give in. She can do an additional 5% a month until she at the point where she is at with other clients. It is unfair for her to train in her competition.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics