Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Moving to the US - ideas for jobs

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 3:15 pm
We are thinking of moving from Israel to the US next summer (just over a year from now). Currently debating between chicago, detroit & baltimore. Here I work full-time as a pharmacist, but I can't transfer my license without going back to school and starting a 4-yr pharmD program from the beginning.

I'm now 33 with 3 kids and the thought of going back to school is awful - if I can even get in, since I did most of the pre-reqs over 10 years ago.

Any ideas for other careers? I would be willing to go back to school for 1-2 years if I need to.

A few people have mentioned getting an MBA in Healthcare Administration - is that a useful degree? Would I be able to find a job if I haven't previously worked in healthcare in the US?

Ideas?

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:00 pm
Are you sure you'd have to start from scratch? As far as I know, when people move to Israel from America, they just need to take certification/exam type things, so I don't know why it wouldn't be the same in reverse. Also, I know a pharmacist who just moved from, I think Maryland to Pennsylvania, and it was a pain to take all the tests to qualify in a different state, but he certainly didn't need to start over with all four years of school!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:21 pm
Unfortunately, yes, I'm sure. I'm working now with a B.Pharm which is not recognized in the US, and there are no programs to upgrade to a PharmD. You have to start again.

Trust me, I've spent lots of time looking into this.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 5:16 pm
Re: MBA in Healthcare Admin, most people (yours truly inclusive) use an MBA course as a career advancing/changing degree. The main caveat is, it is extremely stressful and expensive programme. Full time course is 2 (academic) years, you can do it part-time stretched over a longer period, though. There are scholarship but you need to have very strong academic/reference. The first year is generalist programme, cramming statistics, finance, accounting, marketing, economics, operational science, HR management. Healthcare Admin part would be more in the second year elective. Employability highly depends on school ranking, but also very much on your own efforts contacting alumnis, internship. In my days most graduates went to corporate jobs (including banking, consulting) but there are more diverse opportunities.

Just a basic matter, but I presume you/hour husband is a US citizen or a green card holder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics