Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Regretting Career/School Choice wwyd

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:16 pm
What would you do if you spent years and took out private school loans for an advanced degree and then discovered you hated it in your final year of school?

healthywoman

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:21 pm
if you dont plan on using it ever then maybe leave but otherwise you might as well have the degree for later use if you change your mind

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:26 pm
it happened to me. I thought education was for me. I took out massive student loans, got an MAED, and used it for about 10 minutes before switching fields. In my current field (direct sales, network marketing) I don't even need a high school diploma. Yet I paid off my grad school loans.

If I could do it all again, I wouldn't have done grad school, but hindsight is 20/20 and who knows--- maybe I'll use the degree again someday--- but I'm much happier being self employed and deciding how much income I want/need per week and working at home. and it fits my mom lifestyle better.

how much longer do you have? if it's months, finish it (my opinion). If it's years? ugh--- drop out.

lili123

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:18 am
Something similar happened to me. I got a degree in education and ran away from teaching after just two years.

The thing is that if this field attracted you in the first place, there is probably a kernel in it that is related to something that you would love to do and that's your live's mission. So for example, for me my teaching skills come in handy in my work today helping people figure out their live's mission and how to achieve it through their career or business.

If you'd like, we could talk on the phone and figure out how you can apply your degree to create a career that you would love to be working in. I don't charge for this conversation. Feel free to PM if you are interested.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:51 am
If you're close to the end, stick it out because it will add credibility to your resume. Then look for alternative ways to use the skills and knowledge that you gained through your schooling and experience. Most fields have some jobs other than the obvious - for example, if you trained to be a thingamajig builder maybe you could look for work in thingamajig research or thingamajig design or leadership of other thingamajig builders... If you made it to your final year before thinking this, there must be something about thingamajigs that turns you on even if you've discovered the default job is not for you.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:56 am
It would depend on the field and the level of specialization whether I would advise finishing or not. If you are in the final year of medical school, the answer might be different from what to do if you are in the final year, say, as a dental hygienist. (I am not knocking hygienists here; just talking about width or narrowness of career focus).

In any case, think of it this way. If you invested in a large, expensive, and unwieldy piece of furniture, thinking it would be a good fit for your home, would you look to replace it, even at a loss, or grit your teeth and plan on using it forever?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 7:50 am
If you just have a year left then for sure finish the degree. It helps even when working in completely unrelated fields to have an advanced degree. I know people with PhD's in pharmacology that work in publishing and got the job because they have a PhD in a scientific topic and can thus help out with the technical publishing side of things. You just never know. Plus if you are in a bind financially you can work a job you hate for a year or two to to get a monetary cushion while you look for something else.

Petra

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:37 am
OP, Don't give up yet! It's too early. You don't know whether you really hate it or not until you are out in the real world. And besides, there is more than one use to your degree then the world or environment you are currently in.

so many times, I wanted to give up because I thought the end of the road wasn't worth it. But it totally was and how wrong I was at the time.

You don't have an accurate picture yet of how life will be once you are done. As others have said, there is probably a reason you have come as far as you did.

Keep it up. There is hope. You just don't know what is in store for you.

What is your degree in by the way? If you let us know, we may be able to give more directed advice.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:24 pm
I;m op
I'm still unhappy but I don't know if some other field will be better. At this point my loans are a few hundred thousand dollars, and I almost don't have a choice but to continue. At the same time it's so hard to continue knowing I made a big mistake.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:52 pm
Oh dear. What is it you dont like? Or is it that youve realized you dont want a career at all and mothering is your thing?

sbil

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:37 pm
First of all HUGS. If you just started hating it it may be feeling of being burned out by the school work and once you get real hands on experience as in having a job your outlook may change.

nywife

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:52 pm
I think it depends on how narrow this career field is. If you're in your final year of grad school for a Masters in Business and decide you hate business, I would suggest sticking it out as its a very wide field. However, if you said you were in your last year of school to become a stenographer and decide you hate it, I would understand leaving the field.
I would suggest looking into how far you can stretch your degree and if it will fit a niche you enjoy. If not, I would weigh the benefits of finishing it off vs quitting now. Your loans wont disappear if you back out in middle and if you're close to graduating it might just be worth finishing...

justforfun87

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:54 pm
My husband was like this. We took massive student loans and he was begging me to drop out. I made him finish, he didn't even want to take the bar exam. Now he is practicing law and actually semi liking it. If you are already in the last year you may as well finish. Degrees are resume boosters and then all that money was forsure wasted if you have nothing.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:55 pm
Op how are you still in school when you said 2 years ago you only had a year left?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Op how are you still in school when you said 2 years ago you only had a year left?

I'm working, but I hate it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:51 pm
Any chance that you can use your degree and experience in another career? Sometimes continuing education classes can help with that, it's more school but usually a lot cheaper and practical.

Sorry you're stuck in a career you hate. I used to love mine but hate it now and need to go to college to be able to move to what I want to do next.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
Any chance that you can use your degree and experience in another career? Sometimes continuing education classes can help with that, it's more school but usually a lot cheaper and practical.

Sorry you're stuck in a career you hate. I used to love mine but hate it now and need to go to college to be able to move to what I want to do next.

It's possible, but I'm not sure. Sorry you're going through it too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics