Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
WWYD expired car seat

srbmom

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:45 pm
I am due to give birth soon and I am wondering if I need to buy a new infant seat.
I have an 8 yr old and 4 yr old and used my infant seat with both of them for about 7-8 months each. The car seat is technically "expired" but it was never in an accident and I see no signs of wear/deterioration.

From what I see it is not actually illegal to use the expired car seat in my state, but do you think I'm being silly, negligent, cheap... not to buy a new one?

punktfarkert

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:47 pm
Buy a new car seat!!!!!!!!! They expire for a reason!!!!! The materials degrade - it's no longer safe. Get a cheap one if you want, but def. get one!

debbie321

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:48 pm
I don't think you are being negligent, but it is always better to be safe...Toys R us usually offers a trade in; if yougive them your expired car seat, they give you a credit towards a new item ( I think it is 50+)

lkwdlady

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:48 pm
I would probably use it if it's still in good condition.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:55 pm
as I'm doing more research I see that insurance companies won't cover any medical costs if a child is in an accident in an expired car seat. I think that's a deciding factor for me
...and the expenses keep going up Smile

momX4

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:01 pm
I was in the same position and I called the car seat manufacture. They told me what to check to make sure its still ok. I did replace it after my 3rd dc because the lock wasnt unlocking easily.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:05 pm
Technically, you don't need to get an infant seat. You can just start with a convertible car seat, which is what you will probably end up buying anyway after your baby outgrows the infat seat.

lovingmother

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:11 pm
even if you can't see the changes, from what I understand the heat or other elements can change the structure of the carseat, rendering it unsafe. Also, I think the only ones crash tested are new ones, that might have something to do with it. So if it's been used, I would get a new one. You can always call the manufacturer or consumer reports to find out if it's the actual age of the carseat that is important, or how much is has been in use vs. sitting in the basement.

smss

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:41 pm
plastic deteriorates over time. in such a case, if a car seat is c"v in a crash, the plastic can crack rendering the seat useless. don't risk it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:54 pm
There are inexpensive car seats out there. Spend the money on an inexpensive but safe model or a convertible that works for newborn and older child as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics