Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What Should I Be Aware Of Hiring Cleaning Help fr Craigslist

debsey

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:03 pm
Someone suggested that I post on Craigslist (I'm looking for more cleaning help in my business and in my home - since I have a home business, I thought I'd hire one person to do both)
What should I be aware of when hiring off craigslist? Is this a good/bad idea?
Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

debsey

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:01 pm
Anyone? I'm scared that what I don't know will hurt me!

miyodea

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:02 pm
I considered this idea a few times but ultimately decided against it. There are too many horror stories.

Mostly I've heard about addicts looking for quick cash and thieves getting an up close look at the layout of your house and the location of your valuables. I'm sure many of the posts are legit, but what if I get the one that isn't?

debsey

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:11 pm
miyodea wrote:
I considered this idea a few times but ultimately decided against it. There are too many horror stories.

Mostly I've heard about addicts looking for quick cash and thieves getting an up close look at the layout of your house and the location of your valuables. I'm sure many of the posts are legit, but what if I get the one that isn't?
I hear that. I got my current cleaning help because my neighbor's cleaning help had a friend who needed a job. How much more reliable is that? I'm not going to hire a bonded service, that is prohibitively expensive.
Am I making a huge mistake?

Kumphort

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:13 pm
I would ask for references and follow up with them. Make sure that they don't have the same accent as the person you are interviewing. That just seems suspicious to me.
Make copies of license or other photo document

debsey

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:17 pm
Kumphort wrote:
I would ask for references and follow up with them. Make sure that they don't have the same accent as the person you are interviewing. That just seems suspicious to me.
Make copies of license or other photo document

Good idea!!!! Well, I guess I will interview the one lady who I spoke to who sounded like she'd be a possibility.

miyodea

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:20 pm
I don't know. I used to use a service but I needed more hours for less $$ so now it's my friend's cleaner's friend just like you. I make a point of befriending my cleaning help, though, and I trust my gut. If something feels off I'll let them go, even if I can't put my finger on it.

Probably you're right, there's no real difference and I'm just paranoid. Maybe just give it a try ?

debsey

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:12 pm
miyodea wrote:
I don't know. I used to use a service but I needed more hours for less $$ so now it's my friend's cleaner's friend just like you. I make a point of befriending my cleaning help, though, and I trust my gut. If something feels off I'll let them go, even if I can't put my finger on it.

Probably you're right, there's no real difference and I'm just paranoid. Maybe just give it a try ?

I'm like you - I have a bad feeling - but I really need the help!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:13 pm
Use an agency! I had excellent experience with Sonia's agency.

debsey

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 12:10 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Use an agency! I had excellent experience with Sonia's agency.
I live in Lakewood. I called every agency - no one has people willing to work evenings and sundays!

Raisin

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 4:45 am
I've done it and had ok experiences. Obviously get references and check them out. They tended to be more upwardly mobile types though so they didn't last long - one was a masters student, two others also students of some type. Also tended to go on frequent vacations or be absent for other reasons more often. The other cleaners I have had were eastern europeans I got through word of mouth and have lasted longer, and rarely go on vacations.

Peanuts

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 10:59 am
I would definitely not hire from Craigslist
You always hear of horror story's from Craigslist

Notsobusy

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:40 am
I would be nervous to hire from Craigslist. I would try asking my friends/family to ask their cleaning help if they would work the hours you need. You never know. You can also put an ad in the BP Weekly Classifieds with what you're looking for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry