Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Please help my son find friends in school!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:44 am
My son's Rebbe said that my son sits alone by lunch and classroom recess Sad . He suggested that I send a game with him to school. Any ideas? He's in second grade. I sent top trumps with him (the wild animal one), but it seems everyone has that already. I'm really hoping to find something to help him get the attention of the other boys in his class! Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:46 am
How is he at home? Maybe invite a classmate over. Look at the whole picture.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:54 am
Thanks lymnok, his Rebbe suggested a boy to invite over and we're going to do that to. At home, he has friends on the block, but it's only one or two kids at a time. In school he's also okay by outside recess when everyone plays a sport together. I thint maybe it's hard for him when there are a lot of boys around and he has to join one of the small groups that form

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:15 pm
I just realized that my original subject line made it seem like I was asking for recommendations for video games (ds), so I am editing it.

momX4

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:22 pm
find out what else the boys are into. Crazy bones, trading gedoim cards, baseball (teach him how to play)...

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:34 pm
Momx4, thanks. My son plays baseball and other sports, when they play sports, b"h, he's fine. I know that kids bring top trumps, and he has them, but I want to find something else that not everyone else has, but that other boys would like (unless there's a very new type of top trumps or something), I don't think my son's class is into crazy bones or gedolim cards

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:36 pm
I have a son in second grade. I bought him a set of walkie-talkies and he occasionally brings them into school and all the boys love them. I didn't buy a kids version but real walkie talkies off of amazon when there was a sale- they are a little more expensive but work so much better and are more durable than kids versions.

mommyla

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:41 pm
My son (same age) is into those "Twins from France" cards (when we were kids we called them Pogs) that come in the Golden Fluff (Golden Flow?) snacks. His class is also into Rubik's Cube and Rubik's Twist.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
I have a son in second grade. I bought him a set of walkie-talkies and he occasionally brings them into school and all the boys love them. I didn't buy a kids version but real walkie talkies off of amazon when there was a sale- they are a little more expensive but work so much better and are more durable than kids versions.

Look in your schools handbook. Some have a "no battery" rule.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 1:01 pm
It is necessary to invite boys to the house.

It would be good to get a friendship going with at least one of the other mothers with a boy the same age. At least to be very nice and offer coffee to the mother(s) of the boys who visit.

This sort of thing has to come down from the top, when it is not working well from the bottom up.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 1:05 pm
My DS and his friends in second grade are into Monopoly Deal (card game)
They play almost everyday at lunch and recess

abemom2

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 1:23 pm
My son had the same issue, and I sent Monopoly Deal, a board game... It helps gather boys around him. He's 7 years old.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 3:02 pm
I ordered monopoly deal-thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to invite one of the boys over, but it might be strange to just invite the mom in, usually when kids come they just get dropped off from a car, generally with siblings in it and just run to the door, and I guess I would also feel a little uncomfortable doing that, has anyone had this problem and done something schoolwise to make things better for their ds?

srbmom

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 3:20 pm
Could u make a bbq one sunday and invite the whole family? Or maybe invite them for a shabbos meal? Then it wont be just inviting the kid and the mom.

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
Look in your schools handbook. Some have a "no battery" rule.

And some also ban assault.

12rivkyk34

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:48 pm
You can send in the latest Jewish comics book- I know boys love reading the ones about the Inquisition or WWII & because there are pictures- a few boys can look at once.
Some fun games to send in- Spot It, Uno, regular deck of cards for Kent, Kugelach, Rubic stick & cube (as someone mentioned- very popular these days), Bop It is a fun and exciting game for 2, chess is a big one in my boys school.
They say "Knei L'cha Chaver" you can always send in good nosh for him to share- sounds cheesy but it can help him break in to the circles when he's hesitant.
You may also want to speak to the Rebbe to see what the boys are into and what other suggestions he may have. If it doesn't seem like the Rebbe has a good handle on how to integrate each boy during recess, you may want to speak to a higher up (principal, assistant principal, social worker) to ask if this is something that needs to be addressed in general or is this specific scenario the only problem & what they suggest.
Good Luck!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:14 pm
You can try a yoyo. Also ask him who he'd like to sit with. Practice discussing topics his classmates are interested in.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 12:26 pm
If you start buying you need to keep buying. Caveat. And it may not even work well and lead to more abuse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children