Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff-School not accepting religious exemptions for vaccin

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 7:39 pm
I saw this in the other thread and it got me thinking. Someone there (possibly amother, but I'm not sure) said that the issur of eating treif is only if it's Kiderech achila, so pills would not be an issue. If this is the case, why am I not allowed to take a multi vitamin with gelatin in it? I'm not eating it, I'm swallowing it.

Raindropsonrose

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 7:44 pm
I know some poskim think it's a problem because vitamins are not 100% medicinal, and as a result, you're "eating" them more for their nutritional value than anything else.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:02 pm
Swallowing is derech achila also, you don't need to chew. It's still by mouth. Drinks have to be kosher, and they're only swallowed.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:06 pm
I'm the one who brought it up. I said pills are a machlokes. Some will say it's fine, others not. But it's not an issue with a clear majority or minority, nor is it necessarily split among RW and LW lines.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:07 pm
I am sure others can explain more eloquently but it is because vitamins are not generally taken because one is ill or as a life saving measure - or even to alleviate pain. They are taken as a nutritional supplement. I have read that if vitamins are prescribed by a doctor because of an illness, then different standards might apply.

And, of course, kosher vitamins are readily available.

I would assume if one had a life threatening disease requiring vitamins prescribed by a doctor and there were no kosher vitamins available, one could use them.

For almost all "real" prescription drugs, there is no viable alternative and there is no question that they are not being taken to replace "food"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics