Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Question about boe transportation.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:27 am
I was just approved for busing from board of ed. the busing comany called klar. I need to say it. I am just upset. I want to hear why this kind of attitude. if board of ed pays for busing why does the bus company care if it takes extra 10 min to get to my house? they are being paid. now another thing. yesterday he came 9:14. today 9;12. I ran like a maniac half a block down to catch him. yes, I know I should make my child be ready 5 minutes before. but why is he giving me like its not fair to the kids. they are late. but your being paid so whats the difference? please someone help me make some common sense here I must be too upset to think straight. please help me understand.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:29 am
another question. are some drivers nicer? I guess this one isnt the nicest. but still why is it my fault he needs to spend extra ten min.? he is also going a longer route then he needs to. so he didnt even want to come originally.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:42 am
I agree that the bus driver shouldn't be rude, and that it's not really his business if the route is 10 minutes longer. But you have to look at it from his point of view, it's the end of the year, everyone's used to the route, now he has to start 10 minutes earlier, he has to let all the other kids know, they all have to change their schedules to accommodate you, it's a pain.

I'm not sure how you can complain about a 2 minute difference, traffic fluctuates. It's not possible for him to come the same exact time every single day.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:07 am
okay ihear you about the end of year thing. I just wish if hes coming earlier to give a beep. okay I need to do my duty and be ready 5 10 min early. just not my luck now. I guess next year things will be smoother. just one of those adjustments when you do a move. thanks for helping me understand.

21young

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:14 am
I'm not sure if you followed the major issues that Lakewood had with bussing at the beginning of the year, so first off, be very happy that you were approved for bussing this late in the year. Yes, it's annoying when the bus driver isn't nice, but you will find nasty drivers everywhere. They make an effort to give really sweet drivers to the special needs schools, so the mediocre drivers are probably used for the regular schools.

Bussing is frustrating, there's no two ways about it. You do have to be ready early, though, it is perfectly understandable for the bus's arrival to fluctuate within a ten minute span.

animeme

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:38 am
In my experience with BOE bussing, they are not allowed to honk.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:49 am
thanks animeme- didnt know that.

summer0808

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:01 am
Also, remember the bus companies get paid by the route, not the hour. So adding on another child adding 10 minutes to the route, at the end of the year will cost Klarr money. I dont know how the drivers get paid, hourly or by route.

At the beginning of the year, the bus company bids on the route at the price they think it's worse.

nyer1

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:19 am
its public transportation. the subway comes, and it goes, whether you're on it or not. that's just the way it is. the school bus is the same. you can't really expect him to wait, or to beep, for u to be ready.

I remember as a kid getting to the bus stop standing there 10 min early just in case the bus came early or not. I also vividly remember days when I DIDN'T get there early enough and missed the bus.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 12:11 pm
I think you really need to aim to have your kid ready fifteen minutes before the bus is expected. I think your attitude is appalling, frankly. it is absolutely not fair to the other kids if you hold up the bus and make them all late. and do you know how many parents will blame the bus driver? and do you know how many kids are being scolded by the teacher for being consistently late? and how many parents are being blamed for this? last year, a teacher mentioned to me in passing that I really should make sure my kid was on time, she was late almost daily. the teacher mentioned this to indicate that I was an irresponsible parent, in reference to something else... I told her that my child goes on the school bus every day. the teacher was shocked. she never thought to ask how my daughter got to school because she was the only one in her class on that bus, so she came in late without any other kid every single day.

don't tell the bus driver what he should/should not be worried about based on his salary. YOU need to worry about getting your kid to the bus stop/outside BEFORE the bus is due to arrive. the bus driver gets paid whether or not your child is on it. so I think the one who should be a little more proper is you, not him. even the nicest bus drivers lose patience with parents who don't care about the others involved in bussing.

Leora2

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:27 pm
BOE drivers are reported for each school they get to late. Could be as many three schools on their route. Enough violations and they are docked pay or suspended. Maybe wake up ten minutes earlier. This is someone's livelihood.

sky

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 8:34 pm
I don't know what will happen with BOE busing in the future but what I've learned so far...

I've found that the first 2 weeks of any route is always a disaster with the route changing often a few times - the drivers have the right to change the route at whim. The driver can choose to make them the first stop or last stop on his own which can be a huge difference in time. Its always good to be out 10 minutes early the first 2 weeks until his route is figured out. And even then it sometimes not guaranteed to make it. Once the route is established a few weeks it is much more predictable.

Its also great if you can get on the good side of the driver - like give a tip or cookies - this way even though he isn't allowed to honk or wait for you he may start driving away more slowly in case you come out.

In some ways I find the busing during school camp (only 2 - 3 weeks) a waste of money because most days the routes are such a mess while the drivers are figuring it out. I had drive my kids to school at least half the days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics