Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spending $200+ on Babies' and Girl's Hairbows? What?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

zohar

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 12:33 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And they wouldn't be in business if they weren't making money. Lakewood has it's fair share of millionaires.

They sell a lot online. They are the largest American online luxury children boutique. I don't know if they would survive on their Lakewood clientele alone.

zohar

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 12:38 pm
UQT wrote:
Very interesting. On Pesach my neighbor's kid (6 months) was wearing a matching headband to her outfit and to make conversation I said "It's so cute how the outfit coordinates so nicely with the headband." Which she responded, 'I'm so happy you like it. They told me matching headbands are coming in a few days and when I went back I had to take a second mortgage out to buy it but it really brings the outfit to another level." I laughed assuming she meant she spent $15 on it.

Wow. Just wow.

Be Dan Lekaf Zechus. You probably had it right the first time. The headband probably costs in the teens. I made a similar comment on the bows I bought for a wedding. One was $9 and one was $12. (I usually aim to spend between $2-4)

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Im seriously not getting emails. Hello, Yael, ..... anybody? Anyone of importance upset I started this thread?

Lets all hope Yael doesnt get any ideas about unique charges, as is seemingly in vogue for "crafty" (hee hee) business owners these days.

if you are posting from your phone you don't get notifications.

yaeli83

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 12:53 pm
Ok ladies, I make my dd's headbands and bows and she gets lots of compliments.

Anyone who wants a headband like this, I'll make it for you. I'll charge $15, which would probably be overcharging! You can call it whatever "brand name" you want.

imaima

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:00 pm
yaeli83 wrote:
Ok ladies, I make my dd's headbands and bows and she gets lots of compliments.

Anyone who wants a headband like this, I'll make it for you. I'll charge $15, which would probably be overcharging! You can call it whatever "brand name" you want.

Yay! I will buy them and call them burberry!

yaeli83

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:16 pm
Seriously, if I had time to make and sell them, I guess it could be a pretty lucrative business.
The bigger and uglier (I mean "unique"), the better!

Fox

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:26 pm
If you find yourself resenting the use of tzeddakah to make purchases of dubious value, it's a pretty good bet that *no one* in the Jewish community should be purchasing such items.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the Torah doesn't allow people to spend their money however they want -- no matter how much tzeddekah they give or how much tuition they pay in full. In fact, wealth is considered a far greater nisoyon than poverty, and our generation is the US is struggling mightily with this nisoyon.

Even though $200 headbands seem ridiculous to us, I can easily see how people end up spending that much. It's "feature creep." You get talked into something expensive; then something a little more expensive; and before you know it, you've spent a crazy amount on something.

Most of us have never spent $200 on a headband, but I can guarantee that most of us have been lulled into an over-the-top expenditure (at least for us!) at one time or another.

So, by all means, splurge on a special accessory that "makes" an outfit for yourself or your child. I myself am guilty of once purchasing a beret from Hanna Andersen for $28 -- it matched a jumper and jacket I had made for DD. To my chagrin, DD wore the beret once and refused to wear it again. But if the same purchase would bother you if made by someone receiving tzeddakah, maybe that should tell you something!

As an aside, many celebrities discover to their consternation that their stylists, decorators, etc., adhere to the adage that when you're spending someone else's money, price is no object. Patricia Heaton, Oprah Winfrey, and a few others have commented publicly on this. Some stylists receive kickbacks or some sort of quid pro quo; others (think Cojo) deliberately reject paying too much for nothing.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:53 pm
Fox wrote:
Some stylists receive kickbacks or some sort of quid pro quo; others (think Cojo) deliberately reject paying too much for nothing.

Not sure I understand. Which Cojo are you referring to? How does Cojo get into this? Please clarify.

Imogen

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:37 pm
Wow what a giggle!

Simple fact, a naturally pretty face and smile are the best accessories a girl can have.

Really strane to think of little ones displaying wealth and ostentation to this degree, but of course root of problem are the parents. So sad to think of hard working Jews making their way in life during the 1940s and 1950s having grand children reduced to spoilt princes and princesses parading their own kids like mini celebrities. Of course it is their money and they can do what they want, for sure. But please do not then come over all macht mir on matters of yiddishkeit. Just as there is halacha for tzniut dress there is halacha for avoiding ostentation and artifice, not to mention turning poor little innocent children into labelled accessories in themselves.

A small girl is a very precious delicate soul, why compromise her integrity by misunderstanding what a " Bat Melech" really means??

imasoftov

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:57 pm
Fox wrote:
If you find yourself resenting the use of tzeddakah to make purchases of dubious value, it's a pretty good bet that *no one* in the Jewish community should be purchasing such items.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the Torah doesn't allow people to spend their money however they want -- no matter how much tzeddekah they give or how much tuition they pay in full. In fact, wealth is considered a far greater nisoyon than poverty, and our generation is the US is struggling mightily with this nisoyon

Could you please cite a halachic (not aggadic or mussar) source for the above?

LEsheva

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 7:16 pm
When I have children iyH, there is no way I'm going to spend that much on their clothes, if only to avoid my own anxiety. I want them to be able to play without fear of making a mess, to be normal kids with a self worth that doesn't center on a perfect appearance. Then again, I don't see myself moving to a community where my children will be ostracized for having tousled hair and carefree smiles instead of perfect bows and imposed social norms

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 8:26 pm
I live in Lakewood and LaDiDa is a craze. It's a thing to buy your kids clothing in LaDiDa and already before Purim the store is packed with customers grabbing their items and they come back every day for the new shipment. The store is the main thing and the web site a side thing. There are many better and more exclusive web sites out there for the online world to use.

It's crazy because most people that shop in LaDiDa can't afford it but feel that they have to keep up with everyone else.

Mon petit has a web site and they sell Over double the amount that LaDiDa does. Children salon is a huge web site and so is Alex and Alexa. These stores are so much better and more exclusive to the online world.

There are many more exclusive children's websites out there. LaDiDa is a pathetic store ck pared to these other stores.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:06 pm
I just wonder if anyone studies Jewish history... Doesnt anyone remember what happens when Jews get rich, flaunt their money, and incite jealousy...
These headbands and this obsession with clothes actually scare me...

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
I just wonder if anyone studies Jewish history... Doesnt anyone remember what happens when Jews get rich, flaunt their money, and incite jealousy...
These headbands and this obsession with clothes actually scare me...

A Holocaust survivor relative of mine who was hiding out as a non-Jew said she heard on the radio, mentioning the luxuries of that time (such as beautiful homes, furniture, etc)

Who has the best______? The Jews.

Over and over and over, throughout her hiding during the Holocaust.

Unfortunately were not as spiritual as we should be, once many of us "make it".

pelle

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:32 pm
What if it falls off her head into the mud? The poor kid! I can't even imagine the shalom bayit problems this causes if the husband finds out the bow costs 200.00. It's hard enough for women to wrap their minds around.

Ashrei

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:44 pm
I just wanted to mention that while I personally wouldn't purchase a headband for that much money and agree with the principle of the thread and the posters, I think the lady who is designing amourbow is very talented. The bows have a nice design, but the overall branding, the professional and sophisticated website, plus the photography - everything is put together really nice, professional, trendy, etc... It's really an art. If anyone deserves $250 for a headband, it's her. Just MHO.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:23 pm
There's nothing more adorable than a little girl with 2 ugly flowers the size of grapefruit protruding from her scalp.

boysrus

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:17 pm
wow, wow.
I have just read my way through this entire thread all the while shaking my head in wonder!
BH
now I have found another reason why it is okay that Hashem has given me the great gift of sons, and no daughters to date. I still dont need to worry about girls accessories, whether cheap or ridiculously expensive...

unbelievable!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:21 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
There's nothing more adorable than a little girl with 2 ugly flowers the size of grapefruit protruding from her scalp.

But dats da current fad.

And da bigger bucks ya pay, da better everyone feels.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:46 am
The pearl clutching in this thread makes me laugh. Has anyone looked around and really looked at the things we are buying? All of you say, "$200 for hair bands! Crazy!"

But guess what: "$5000 for a Shaitel?! Crazy!"
"$20,000 for a bar mitzvah? Crazy!"
"Every kallah has to have a two karat diamond plus diamond earrings and bracelet and necklace and watch? Crazy!"

I don't live in a particularly crazy wealthy area, but I'm mystified at what women these days spend. Jewelry, clothes (don't get me started on the designer wearing blogging trend), parties, European vacations. My grandparents were very wealthy and they didn't spend like this. I don't really get it.

In a year or two, everyone will think $200 headbands are normal.
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics