Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
School not accepting religious exemptions for vaccination
Previous  1  2

happybeingamom

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:31 pm
We can agree to disagree if the current vaccine schedule is healthy for all infants (I personally don't think so). However based on the evidence over the last 75 years or more, I really can't have respect for the idea that vaccines don't prevent diseases. I have a great uncle who died from tetanus, an aunt who lost most of her hearing from measles and my parents grew up during the polio epidemic. Vaccines most probably saved millions of lives and that people had better quality of life from them.

We should make them better, make them safer but to deny the impact how vaccines have helped stop awful diseases is just not accepting the facts that are in front of you.

fmt4

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:36 pm
rosehill wrote:
I'm glad it worked out for you, OP, but I wonder if you'll be so cheerful if your school suddenly bans the Internet, or mandates certain foods for breakfast, or institutes who-knows-what rule that would adversely affect you.

Yeah, my kids are vaccinated, but I worry about the slippery slope of the government and the schools thinking they know better than I how best to raise my child, and using scare tactics and threats to get me to comply.

Uh no, this is not the school trying to force people to do anything. This is the school saying that they will no longer accept exemptions that are false and based on something that everyone knows is not factual - that there is a religious reason for not taking vaccinations.

Last edited by fmt4 on Tue, May 05 2015, 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

sourstix

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:54 pm
this is for rosehill, the government is trying to control us anyway. some of our decisions cause them to be more controlling. but on this I will agree that the gov should intervene. your talking health. obviously they got involved bec they saw what decisions parents were making. it wasnt safe so they took it into their hands. I am a registered republican but on this I agree the govt should intervene. and btw the govt is controlling us in ways we dont even protest for instance there are cameras all over the place the city installed. the police have a recorded camera of every move you and. I make. in places that areent necessary. so usa isnt democratic anymore.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 10:55 pm
Quote:
Wrong.
People who dont vaccinate, dont believe in vaccines at all, hence, it is irrelevant to them if their surroundings are vaccinated or not.
They dont believe in the concept of herd immunity.
No one is relying on the fact that others are vaccinated, because if they believed that vaccines worked, and are healthy and productive, they would vaccinate their own children.

And I do believe there is a religious issue in Judaism with vaccines. There is fetus/animal tissue in the vaccines.since when are we aloud to consume that? (FDA does not hide that info)

Ok, let the bashing begin Smile
I am posting to enlighten you all, that yes, people who don't vaccinate have reasons too, just Like you

So, wait. You really think that vaccines don't do anything?

How do you explain how polio disappeared? Or how shortly after whatever vaccine was introduced that disease either disappeared or greatly decreased?

And I see someone else discussed the "consuming" issue.

Are you a PEACH reader? Or listen to that quack phone line?

oliveoil

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:

Wrong.
People who dont vaccinate, dont believe in vaccines at all, hence, it is irrelevant to them if their surroundings are vaccinated or not.
No one is relying on the fact that others are vaccinated, because if they believed that vaccines worked, and are healthy and productive, they would vaccinate their own children.

And I do believe there is a religious issue in Judaism with vaccines. There is fetus/animal tissue in the vaccines.since when are we aloud to consume that? (FDA does not hide that info)

This is definitely not true of all (most?) non-vaccers.

nylon

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:05 pm
There is not fetal tissue in vaccines.

Certain vaccines are cultured on fetal cell lines that are derived from two babies that were aborted in the 1960s. There is no remaining fetal tissue in the vaccines themselves.

And, even the Catholic Church says these vaccines are okay to use. (They encourage the development of vaccines that do not use fetal cell lines, but in the meantime, Catholics can't legitimately claim a religious objection on this basis).

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 7:31 am
The concept doesn't even EXIST in France. Not saying sometimes you can't deal under the table, not saying some backyard camps don't just fail to ask... but my religion doesn't let is no excuse and Jews are just as punctilicious if not more on vaccines. Schools may ask more than those legally mandatory. If you don't want to do, you can homeschool.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:27 am
Australia is adopting a new law for our coming school year. "No jab, no play. No jab, no pay"
This means no government funding for kindergarten kids who aren't vaccinated & no social security benefits either. No religious exemptions- unless the religion has been accepted by the relevant authorities to be anti vaccine/medicine.
This means that all children under 5 from 2016 will be fully vaccinated on schedule. Or they stay home .

imaima

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
="Amarante"]Exactly - people who choose not to vaccinate their children are relying on other people being vaccinated and therefore the disease not finding enough "hosts" to spread.

But as was shown by the recent "Disney" measles epidemic, if enough people aren't vaccinated, the disease can spread and it strikes the most vulnerable like infants who can't be vaccinated until they are 1 year (for the most part) or those with compromised immune systems.

Wrong.

Ok, let the bashing begin Smile
I am posting to enlighten you all, that yes, people who don't vaccinate have reasons too, just Like you[/quote]

I guess some people don't believe in gravity and that the earth is round, but this doesn't change the reality.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:27 pm
No some people truly dont care if their kids get the diseases. My neighbor didnt care when her kids got whooping cough cuz she treated with herbs and oils and homeopathic stuff. She said she doesnt care about measles either because according to her medical guru its considered healthy/good to get the measles in chinese medicine because its the body releasing itself if toxins or something like that.
She will never ever ever vaccinate and has never ever ever medicated her kids with anything. Not even motrin/tylenol. She calls medicine poison. You will not change some people. Its part of her doctrine.
Her kids are not homeschooled

black sheep

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:49 pm
first, I am VERY pro-vaccine. I think anyone who doesn't understand how vaccines prevent permanently debilitating and fatal diseases is missing some key brain cells. no offense, of course.

however, I don't think people understand what happens when parental choices, even bad parental choices, are governed by law. sure, I think that no one should be excused from the main vaccines, however, once there is a law that you cannot choose to opt out of vaccines, you child must receive ALL vaccines at the federally approved date. so, for example, if you choose to delay vaccines due to runny noses or just to spread them out over time, or you don't want to give your child a new and barely tested vaccine (such as the new HPV vaccine,) you are non-compliant with the law, and now 1. your child is not allowed to attend school and/or 2. your school does not receive funding because of non-compliance and even eventually 3. your children can be taken from you.

by the way, this will affect homeschoolers as well. the law proposals that are currently on the table regarding required vaccinations are much more far reaching than just who they allow in school. I wish the law said that you cannot attend school if you don't have certain fast-spreading disease vaccinations, but instead it says that there is no exemptions allowed for not vaccinating children according to the recommended schedule. and to that, all I can say is "yikes!"

Miri7

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:18 pm
If you delay some vaccines for medical reasons, I don't think you will be penalized under the laws requiring vaccines.

If there is a medical reason to delay (fever, runny nose) vaccinations, your doctor can give you a note stating a temporary medical reason exists for your child not being on schedule.

All of the laws requiring vaccines retain a medical exemption.

wifenmother

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:25 pm
black sheep wrote:
first, I am VERY pro-vaccine. I think anyone who doesn't understand how vaccines prevent permanently debilitating and fatal diseases is missing some key brain cells. no offense, of course.

however, I don't think people understand what happens when parental choices, even bad parental choices, are governed by law. sure, I think that no one should be excused from the main vaccines, however, once there is a law that you cannot choose to opt out of vaccines, you child must receive ALL vaccines at the federally approved date. so, for example, if you choose to delay vaccines due to runny noses or just to spread them out over time, or you don't want to give your child a new and barely tested vaccine (such as the new HPV vaccine,) you are non-compliant with the law, and now 1. your child is not allowed to attend school and/or 2. your school does not receive funding because of non-compliance and even eventually 3. your children can be taken from you.

by the way, this will affect homeschoolers as well. the law proposals that are currently on the table regarding required vaccinations are much more far reaching than just who they allow in school. I wish the law said that you cannot attend school if you don't have certain fast-spreading disease vaccinations, but instead it says that there is no exemptions allowed for not vaccinating children according to the recommended schedule. and to that, all I can say is "yikes!"

So well said!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:26 pm
So all the antivaxers will find those doctors who will sign off on medical exemptions. Believe me they will seek them out and pay them off.
You could never make think 1st vaccinate no matter what you tried.
Its just more of big brother meddling way too much.

nylon

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:35 pm
Statistically, though, it DOES make a difference. You are using the perfect solution fallacy. Vaccination rates in states that restrict exemptions are higher than in those where they are lax.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:39 pm
I do believe that it is because vaccinations have been so successful in preventing diseases that people have no idea of the tremendous potential harm these diseases have. My parents were of a generation which saw children (and adults) die of diseases that are now completely preventable.

Some of you may be familiar with Roald Dahl, the writer of many children's books including Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I had not realized that his daughter had died of complications from measles in 1962 until the most recent measles epidemic brought it to light. He wrote this piece in 1986 in an attempt to persuade parents to get their children vaccinated. The vaccine was NOT available when his daughter caught measles and based on the circumstances of her complication, there is still a high probability that she would have died even now. The point is that children do die of measles (and whooping cough and diphtheria and polio). And even if they don't die, some children don't make full recoveries and suffer neurological damage.

Measles: A Dangerous Illness

Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn't do anything.

"Are you feeling all right?" I asked her.

"I feel all sleepy," she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.

It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunised are putting the lives of those children at risk. In America, where measles immunisation is compulsory, measles like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.

Incidentally, I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was 'James and the Giant Peach'. That was when she was still alive. The second was 'The BFG', dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children.

Barbara

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:44 pm
black sheep wrote:

This is a rule promulgated by a school that does not believe that Judaism forbids vaccination. There is no risk -- NO RISK AT ALL -- that children will be removed from your home because you don't vaccinate. In fact, if you know of any case in the US where children were removed from the home for failure to treat or vaccinate other than during a breakout, or where the child's life was otherwise in danger, please provide a citation.

Nor is there any realistic risk that children will be thrown out of school for a delayed vaccination schedule, and particularly not for delaying due to a runny nose. Do you honestly think that the school is going to say, "Little Shlomo turned 9 in May 6. He should have had X vaccines today. We don't care that he has a runny nose. We're kicking him out of school." Clearly any administration of such rules will give time after each birthday to comply.

blacksheep wrote:

The laws in half of the states have always applied to homeschoolers. But they're not required to provide proof of vaccination in most states.

I'm not saying yikes, though. I'm saying good.

The government mandates lots of things. You need a license and insurance to drive a car. To practice medicine. To do manicures in a nail salon, for heaven's sake. To protect the health and safety of the public. Why not to protect kids who have no say in the matter.

summer0808

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:14 pm
My school is very strict with vaccinations. (I didnt try an exemption though). I do know that only the major ones are enforced like MMR, DPT, meningitis. Not chicken pox, rotavirus and those. Definitely not the HPV one.

Last year there were some cases of whooping cough and the health dept came down to inspect. The nurse was hysterical. happens to be my dd had gotten her meningitis (I think) a little later than demanded because I had a well check scheduled for January and they wanted it by Nov. They were ok with that but their file wasnt updated by this episode. Nurse was panicking that the files had to be perfect when the health dept came.

B'H it ended up fine.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics