Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Traveler's Health Ins- Israel to US

Sadie

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 8:10 am
I am planning on spending about a month in the US in the summer.
Does anyone have any advice about buying health insurance as a traveler? I am a dual citizen if it makes a difference. I've been on extended trips to the US without getting insurance before but I'm trying to be more responsible these days. Thanks!

Sanguine

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 8:54 am
Never go without insurance!!! I know you're young and healthy - so are my kids... Should I make you a list of things we needed insurance paid? My son needed X-rays in the hospital for his foot when he tripped. My daughter who's never had an earache in her life got a terrible earache that needed many visits to an ENT and many expensive drugs... There's more, but these are simple problems that would cost you a fortune without insurance.

Anyway, we used to go through Kupat Cholim which is a fine choice but late we've been using Harel Insurance. Cost less than $2 a day. We also insure luggage.

grace413

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:13 am
I second Sanguine's opinion on the necessity of travel insurance.

We go through our kupah which uses Clal.

Sanguine

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:36 am
If you want the type that searches for you after an earthquake (like in Napal) you have to buy more expensive insurance LOL

Sadie

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:16 pm
Thanks! That was helpful advice. We are actually going to California where I survived many earthquakes in my childhood. I guess I will have to rely on FEMA if the Big One hits (hamsa, tfu, etc).

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:20 pm
Sadie wrote:
Thanks! That was helpful advice. We are actually going to California where I survived many earthquakes in my childhood. I guess I will have to rely on FEMA if the Big One hits (hamsa, tfu, etc).

I think that you can go with basic insurance coverage from Allianz. You may have to pay upfront, but they do reimburse you (my friend had medical expenses reimbursed from them). Let's just hope that you will not need it!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:13 pm
100%+ agree the importance of having medical cost coverage via travel insurance. Make sure you cover both ends (ie days of departure and arrival). Not sure if this is done in Israel, but you *may* be able to reduce premium by customising coverage. For example, you probably won't need much for medical repatriation (needed for travelling in a country with inadequate local care). Personally I'd also go for enough death coverage for accident but not for illness. Make sure you read T&C, esp as there may be exemption on pre-existing conditions or pregnancy. And check if there's per dium limit to hospital stays.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics