Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Totally tznius girls what age?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:06 pm
We are changing our daughter for various reasons from a MO preschool to a Yeshivish Chofetz Chaim school. She will be entering kindergarten. Right now she wears skirts usually above the knee but not mini skirts and tops with atleast a short sleeve. The school she was in had a mix of people and dress and I'm not in a hurry for her to be totally tznius yet but that is the ultimate plan. She is easy going and would wear whatever I put her in and like I said she will eventually dress this way but just jot sure if "THE" age is 5 or 7 or some other number. There is no school uniform. At what age do Yeshivish girls on average start wearing knee socks below the knee skirts and 3/4 or long sleeves? Thanks in advance. I want to start buying some clothes if I see anything nice.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:56 pm
A lot of it is based on the school, either its rules/dress code, or just how the other girls in her class dress. Is there a way to talk to someone in the administration, or another parent in the school, to find out what's considered the norm in that school for kindergarten? Especially in a new school, it's in DD's best interest to be normal and not to stick out in her dress. Some parents will choose to be more machmir than the school's norms, but it doesn't sound like that's you, so at least make sure you're on the same page as the rest of the class.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 4:02 pm
I agree with doctorima, every community and every school is different. You have to either specify what school it is here, or ask people from that community/school.

onlyscarves

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 4:03 pm
Depends on the place - I would ask one of the teachers or someone in the office about this one. Be innocent - that is what you are - and ask about their requirements for tsnius. (You can frame it really nicely: "I would just like to check what the requirements for tsnius are here, because I'm new to the school...." or something along those lines).
I think generally by age 6 most girls are required to be completely tsnius.
Other places go by the age of 3.
It's worth asking.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:05 pm
I live in Lakewood pretty Yeshivish. The age range is between 3-8 where 5 is what most people do. The schools and daycamps expect the girls to be dressed fully tzniusdik on their premises when they start school.

For my girls it depends on their build as per my Rav a more mature looking girl would have to dress tzniusdik at a younger ages versus one who looks younger then her age.

I think as a parent you need to feel a personal conviction on how your child dresses, following a crowd I think makes you lose your ability to give over your Haskafa to your child.

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:08 pm
From what I've seen, long sleeves and knee socks at around 5 or 6 (like a PP said, depending on the girl). Definitely by Bas Mitzva, more care with knees showing, collarbone, etc. but this really depends on your own circles.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 8:03 pm
We hold by short sleeves until age 6, so does the school we send to. Many schools outline their rules in a handbook.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics