Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can someone explain what a 3D printer does?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 8:45 pm
Can someone explain what a 3D printer does?

Do I need one? Should I start scraping together money until I can buy one?

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 8:57 pm
A 3D printer prints 3D objects from a digital design. The cheaper ones print out single colored plastic objects. People are doing fascinating things with them nowadays. However...

No, you do not need one. No, you should not start scraping together money for one. Maybe someday they will be commonplace and affordable and most households will have them. Wait for that day. Until then, read some articles online about thing made from 3D printing and prepare to be amazed.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:05 pm
Thank you. All I have seen so far are cookie cutters and chocolate molds. I was wondering what the big deal is.

zaq

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:31 pm
It is not a "printer" at all and you don't need one. It is called a "printer" because, like a printer, it translates a computer file into something you can hold in your hand. What it really does is build, not print, an object from a computer design. There are different processes depending on the materials used and the type of design.

In industry it is a very big deal because you can produce incredibly complex yet seamless items of different types on the same machine without having to buy molds or dies for each one. This makes it cost-feasible to produce just one of something without resorting to hand-processing, but you can also produce in quantity if you want to. Yes, some day you might "print" an extra place setting of dishes or flatware for last-minute guests and a booster seat for their child, but you don't need to think about that just yet.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:54 pm
I'm waiting for them to print food.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:24 am
Right now there are two 3D printers residing in my house. They don't belong to me; DS#1 and a business partner are designing and printing out scaled down models of the Mishkan with them (for selling to schools and similar — he'll be showing at the Torah U'Mesorah convention next week). I spent much of the day on my computer doing organic 3D CAD modeling of the keruvim for the holy ark that will be 3D printed.

Anyway, 3D printers are incredibly useful for building prototypes, for limited production items like Mishkans, and for parts no longer produced. I know of a woodworking company using one to print complex cabinet doors that could not be produced using conventional technology. 3D printing with chocolate has become affordable just within the last year — but alas, the printers in my house only use plastic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics