Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Oats for Supper

myname1

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:05 pm
I am just curious why this is something I've never heard of- using oats as you might use rice, cooking it with vegetables. I mixed a cup of oats with cut up veggies in a pot with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It was delicious! Why is this not normal??

finallyamommy

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:26 pm
I recently discovered it as a binder/filler in meatballs and the like, to replace bread crumbs :-)

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:26 pm
I ONLY like hot cereals when they are savory. I like oatmeal, grits, farina with onions, garlic, salt, and maybe eggs cooked in. Sometimes veggies, too.
My husband thinks this is weird, and only eats them sweet, made with milk and sugar.

etky

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:52 pm
myname1 wrote:
I am just curious why this is something I've never heard of- using oats as you might use rice, cooking it with vegetables. I mixed a cup of oats with cut up veggies in a pot with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It was delicious! Why is this not normal??

Wasn't it mushy, like porridge?
I also use them as a binder instead of bread crumbs (and as a thickener in soup), especially when cooking for friends that can't tolerate wheat.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:53 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
I ONLY like hot cereals when they are savory. I like oatmeal, grits, farina with onions, garlic, salt, and maybe eggs cooked in. Sometimes veggies, too.
My husband thinks this is weird, and only eats them sweet, made with milk and sugar.

OMG are you me? I eat oatmeal and farina with salt only and dh thinks I'm super weird. The kids follow me in this so he's surrounded by a weird family LOL I try to tell him to think of it as a rice dish. Doesn't work for him Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:17 pm
VERY common in Scotland. Loads of different pies with oat crust or filling made with veggie-oat/meat-oat. Cock-a-leekie and other soup using oats. As if not enough, dessert with toasted oat toppings.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:21 pm
This link has some great savory oat recipes for dinner.

http://www.treehugger.com/easy......html

etky

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:38 pm
I'm familiar with all the uses for oats mentioned here but I still don't understand the concept of oats with vegetables - is it like a porridge or is it the consistency of rice, like a pilaf, I.e. something you can serve as a side dish?

miyodea

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:46 pm
We make something called "rich man's porridge", which is steel cut oats with vegetables and herbs. Sometimes I put in some shredded chicken.

And I never understood those sweetened instant oatmeal packets. I eat oatmeal with salt and melted cheese.

penguin

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:58 pm
You can sautee onions & mushrooms, then treat the oats like kasha - mix w/ a beaten egg, stir in pan until browned & separated, add water & cook til soft. Quite yummy & great fiber.

aquad

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:16 am
I cook barley to eat as a side dish- saute onions, add some spices, add barley, add water, and cook until the barley is soft. Same for wheat berries. I don't do oats because I don't like the texture of them cooked- but I love overnight oats!
I love making barley or rice for dinner, as it's easy and quick.

myname1

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:40 am
etky wrote:
I'm familiar with all the uses for oats mentioned here but I still don't understand the concept of oats with vegetables - is it like a porridge or is it the consistency of rice, like a pilaf, I.e. something you can serve as a side dish?

I went and looked at the leftovers in the pot. I guess it looks kind of chollenty texture-wise. So not sure if it's "something you can serve as a side-dish". We often have these one-pot mixtures, but I guess it's not something everyone is accustomed to. I actually had some eggs boiled in there as well, so it really was an all-in-one kind of meal.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:22 am
I think the main thing is, most oats sold are flaky rolled oats that are good for porridge or granola. Full oat kernels take longer to cook. But to get that grainy feel similar to rice or barley etc you'll probably need steel-cut oat that looks more like tiny pebbles than flakes (but longer time to cook).

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:46 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I think the main thing is, most oats sold are flaky rolled oats that are good for porridge or granola. Full oat kernels take longer to cook. But to get that grainy feel similar to rice or barley etc you'll probably need steel-cut oat that looks more like tiny pebbles than flakes (but longer time to cook).

Ah, those we don't have here, for some reason. I always wondered what they were like.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:13 am
etky wrote:
Ah, those we don't have here, for some reason. I always wondered what they were like.

"Here" as in Israel? I get them regularly at the pitzuchim store. Both types of oats are 8ש״ח/kg. both are killed kvacker.

Twinster

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:29 am
I tried a recipe once for something like pizza-porridge. I love trying new, different foods. It was weird, but quite tasty. And very filling.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:45 am
Iymnok wrote:
"Here" as in Israel? I get them regularly at the pitzuchim store. Both types of oats are 8ש״ח/kg. both are killed kvacker.

Are you sure you don't mean quick cooking and the coarser rolled oats? Both types are widely available in all stores - packaged and loose. The steel cut oats are called שיבולת שועל חתוכה or גריסי שיבולת שועל and afaik are not available in Israel - or so I've read on health food forums and cooking columns b/c I haven't actively searched for it myself. Apparently people who are familiar with it from abroad buy it in chutz la'aretz and bring it back.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:02 am
My favorite grain right now is freekah. I adore the taste- so much more interesting than bulgar, which it resembles closely in other ways.
I also tried millet before Pesach. I kind of liked it- tasted sort of corny and I love corn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics