Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Number 5 Israeli meat

mirimiri

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 5:55 pm
I have two of these in my freezer and I have absolutely no clue how to cook them bc I don't know what they are! LOLLLL
Can anyone enlighten me with the number meats here and specifically the number 5 and any recipes you may have to cook it so that it moist and not dry and chewy PLEASE!!!!
I took one out to defrost bc I would like to use it for shabbat.
I hope some of you know bc as of now I have nooo clue what I'm doing with it.....
Thanks y'all!!!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 6:03 pm
Here's a link that may help. http://cooking.marcgottlieb.co.....bers/

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 7:42 pm
Cook low and slow with liquid.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:26 am
WADR to Marc Gottlieb, I find that his cooking instructions for meat don't work well with the affordable, frozen imported meat that is readily available here in the supermarkets. Maybe with the more expensive fresh meat sold by quality butchers. The supermarket cuts from South America are usually very tough and need way more cooking than he suggests.
I agree with ra-mom's suggestion of cooking long and slow with liquid. I haven't made this cut in ages b/c it takes hours and hours of cooking and I hate to tie up my oven for that long.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:32 am
etky, thanks for that info. I'd quite forgotten that meat is imported into Israel and I know little about the quality of South American beef.

spikta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:45 am
Thanks for pointing that out etky!
I've also found the cooking times on the site a bit short, I thought I was doing something wrong...

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:46 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
etky, thanks for that info. I'd quite forgotten that meat is imported into Israel and I know little about the quality of South American beef.

I don't want to be מוציא שם רע for all of South American beef - I can only speak for the specially shechted meatf that is frozen and imported to Israel and sold rather cheaply in supermarkets. They are such big beef eaters in South America I imagine they have various grades of meat and the better ones are probably just as good as anywhere else (if not better).
Finding decent meat at affordable prices is an issue here. They also tend to process the meat and inject it with water and phosphates which makes it less desirable in terms of taste and texture.

Mama'le

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:58 am
#5 meat is like an American minute roast

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:12 am
Mama'le wrote:
#5 meat is like an American minute roast

I don't know about American cuts but isn't minute roast slices that cook quickly like in stir fry or is that minute steaks?

vicki

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:29 am
Any sauce, lots of it, seal tight and cook for a long, long, time. About 3-4 hours for average size roast.
Baste occasionally.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:41 am
The #5 is the shoulder. It has a line of gelatinous gristle running through the middle of it that you see when you slice it. This is the generic צלי בקר that many institutions and take away places for Shabbat food use. If done right (and cooked long enough) it can be quite good and also tender.

sunnybrook

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:43 am
To tenderize it, and also add a nice color & taste, you can add instant coffee powder [if you have some that didnt yet get milchig]. Or steep 5 regular black tea bags in a cup of boiling water, let stand, then pour over meat. Then cook low and slow. Hope it comes out delicious!

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 7:49 am
etky wrote:
I don't want to be מוציא שם רע for all of South American beef - I can only speak for the specially shechted meatf that is frozen and imported to Israel and sold rather cheaply in supermarkets. They are such big beef eaters in South America I imagine they have various grades of meat and the better ones are probably just as good as anywhere else (if not better).
Finding decent meat at affordable prices is an issue here. They also tend to process the meat and inject it with water and phosphates which makes it less desirable in terms of taste and texture.

My dh's meat is really good. That's what I heard anyway since I don't eat any others. I don't think his is sold so cheaply in the supermarkets though. He has one importer and I don't know the name he goes under.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 9:23 am
yo'ma wrote:
My dh's meat is really good. That's what I heard anyway since I don't eat any others. I don't think his is sold so cheaply in the supermarkets though. He has one importer and I don't know the name he goes under.

No doubt it is. But most - the kind that is always on special in the supermarket - is very tough. Your husband's meat, if it is better quality, might just be going straight to the butcher for sale there.

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:52 am
Do you have the blue Lubavitch cookbook? Sweet and Sour Brisket on page 169 is delicious with this meat. You have to cook it at least 3 hours.

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:07 am
Here - I found the recipe I had posted in http://www.imamother.com/forum.....44976

(that's a LII thread). that's a thread about #6 meat but I use #5 or #6 for this recipe since I'm not sure of the difference

Here's the recipe

6 lb brisket (whatever size I buy)
2 onions sliced
1 clove garlic minced (I use garlic powder)
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C vinegar
1 C ketchup
1 C water
1 tsp salt

1-Brown the meat on all sides (they say in a heated dutch oven but I use a regular pot since I don't really know what a Dutch oven is and I assume that I don't own one)

2- add onion and garlic and brown again - approx 10-15 minutes

3- Add rest of ingredients

4- Cover and simmer till meat is tender (2 1/2 - 3 hours)

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:19 pm
etky wrote:
I don't know about American cuts but isn't minute roast slices that cook quickly like in stir fry or is that minute steaks?

Yes that is correct. I have a fascination with how cuts of meat change by country and butchery traditions so I find this whole convo fascinating. (This isn't a common cut of meat where I am in the US.)

ray family

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:33 pm
I use #5 for everything. I find that it's very tender when cooked for an extended period of time. also, aside from the strip down the middle- which can easily be cut out, it's not fatty at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics