Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
No washer hookup in apartment anyone have a solution?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 7:11 pm
Anyone hook up their washer to the kitchen sink? If so how? What brand of washer? Any help? Can't afford to move but can't deal with the lack of washer in the apartment anymore!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone hook up their washer to the kitchen sink? If so how? What brand of washer? Any help? Can't afford to move but can't deal with the lack of washer in the apartment anymore!

I've definitely heard of such types of washers, but I don't know of any brands offhand. Try Googling "portable clothes washer" and see what comes up.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:

You don't need a specific type of washer/dryer. You need the right plumber who knows how and is willing to hook it up this way. And you need a space near the sink for the washer and near the window for the dryer.
Hire the plumber before you purchase the appliances.

Sarah f

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 4:12 am
many years ago my parent's plumber hooked the washer to the inlet pipe of the toilet in the bathroom and the outlet was hooked onto the bath the only problem was you couldn't do washing while bathing ;-) good luck!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:20 pm
Same problem here. I am begging that when we move there must be a washer in our apartment!!! I use a laundromat or very nice friends/relatives....

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:16 pm
You should check with the landlord because old pipes often can't take the flow of a washing machine and it can cause issues. Also a dryer needs to vent to the outdoors or be a special kind of ventless dryer. I live in an older building n

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
You don't need a specific type of washer/dryer. You need the right plumber who knows how and is willing to hook it up this way. And you need a space near the sink for the washer and near the window for the dryer.
Hire the plumber before you purchase the appliances.

There are quick connects that you can buy at any Home Depot or Lowes for a sink connection and extended drainer hoses as well. Your key to success is good interior plumbing. If your sink cannot handle the volume of water that is being pumped out of the machine you will have some serious problems of where to put the water. Also pipes in old homes may not be able to handle the volume and additional pressure if your neighbors are disposing of gray water at the same time.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 4:41 pm
All the other neighbors have real hookups my landlord decided not to put it in Sad Can any plumber do the hookup for me?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:29 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
There are quick connects that you can buy at any Home Depot or Lowes for a sink connection and extended drainer hoses as well. Your key to success is good interior plumbing. If your sink cannot handle the volume of water that is being pumped out of the machine you will have some serious problems of where to put the water. Also pipes in old homes may not be able to handle the volume and additional pressure if your neighbors are disposing of gray water at the same time.
which is why you need the right plumber who knows what he's doing and when he can or cannot do it.

myself

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
All the other neighbors have real hookups my landlord decided not to put it in Sad Can any plumber do the hookup for me?

I think so. Why don't you call and ask?

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:38 pm
I would ask the landlord before I put a washer dryer in because there is a lot of liability attached to it. If the landlord installs, then he is responsible if it overflows and causes damage. But if you put it in without his permission, you would be liable if anything happens.

I would ask why he didn't put it in and ask whether you can install it. First contact a plumber. As I posted, I live in an older building and many people who renovate put in stacked washer dryers which a plumber attaches to the main drain lines. However, we have rules about what kind of washer/dryers can be put in (must be low flow and ventless).

Also, if you live above people, it is a good idea to install a cut off valve which automatically stops the machine if it senses water leaking. These work really well and are a good idea even in a private home if you want to prevent flooding your floors - unless your washer/dryers are located in an unrenovated basement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry