Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you pay in tuition?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:12 pm
Another mother from Australia. I am surprised you pay so much I assume you don't send your kids to Yeshivah in Melbourne or have a very high income as there they have the YBRcaps that you only pay $8000 per family for those who earn 100,000. You get charged a percentages based on your income
See for more info
https://www.ybrcaps.com/app/we.....S.pdf

amother
Black

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 12:02 am
YBRcaps is not as straight forward as that, but they definitely work with you to figure out a manageable amount for your family.

It's still a lot of money, but they won't turn down a Jewish child from getting a Jewish education.

Its an interesting discussion to have, I'm always floored by the stress some family members in the US have from paying tuition ( mo school, but from the sounds of it not such great facilities..)
But it's not really a comparison that you can make because in Australia private schools do get some government funding. In the last few years the Jewish schools specifically received millions for security upgrades.

Even so I do know of families (not frum) that send their kids to public schools because of the price. Or I know many people that switch back and forth at different stages of schooling.
In the Jewish areas there are public school with such large Jewish populations that the have Hebrew language classes during the school day and Hebrew school in the school building straight after.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
WHERE?!

antwerp , belgium ?

nyer1

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 8:13 am
is the question, "how much is tuition?" or is the question "how much do you pay for tuition?"

you will likely get skewed answers.

people should also indicate:
size of school
co-ed vs. single gender
how many children
location of schools

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
SNIP
It's still a lot of money, but they won't turn down a Jewish child from getting a Jewish education.
SNIP

I've never understood what that means.

Sima and Shlomo have 12 kids. Sima works from home making headbands that she sells for $8 a piece; Shlomo is in kollel. But, shhhh, Sima has an MBA from Wharton, and has been offered jobs for a quarter of a million a year. Should they still get a free ride? Are they being denied a Jewish education by the school if they don't? (And would your answer be different if Shlomo had the MBA?)

Or Malka, who is divorced. She claims her ex doesn't pay support, and that she's flat broke. When a school wouldn't give her a free ride, she claimed that it was denying her kids a Jewish education. But she and the kids spend every winter break in Florida, Pesach at a hotel, and the teenage kids travel abroad every summer instead of getting jobs. Are her kids being denied a Jewish education by the school if they're not given a free ride?

(At least one of these scenarios is true.)

Are schools obligated to step in when the parents won't, even if the school believes they can?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:08 am
No, Sima should start charging $200/headband. Problem solved.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:18 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
No, Sima should start charging $200/headband. Problem solved.

I knew someone would say that. It's why I chose headbands for her.

rikki 1

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:50 am
As far as the Malka scenario, I know a lot of people with difficult family situations who get sponsors or financial help for the "luxuries", they may not be able to make it month by month, but understanding and supportive people help give them that 'time out' they need desparately.

amother
Red

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 11:33 am
in terms of sima and shlomo-depends on the schools values which I think should be made clear to pple who are applying or if community school moving to town. Meaning if the learning in kollel is something that is supported by the school then its supported by the school, if not, not. why is it only worthwhile if the guy is "unable" to get a good paying job. I'm not saying that kollel should be a priority for the school. I think it's fine for a school to say- its great that you want to learn but we can't foot the bill. I just don't like the mentality of oh he never got training in any thing else so he has no choice but to learn and we have no choice but to support.
The same for sima- is she working from home because she wants to be home for the kids and she wouldn't be if she worked at one of those big companies? if yes then the question is- is being home for the kids a priority for the school or not? I don't think someone should be treated worse just because they have a good degree or held down a job in the past- seems like just another way to encourage people not to prepare financially. If you want to stay home with your kids- you can, just don't get an education, don't get a good job before children, work only for minimal wage....

amother
Azure

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I've never understood what that means.

Sima and Shlomo have 12 kids. Sima works from home making headbands that she sells for $8 a piece; Shlomo is in kollel. But, shhhh, Sima has an MBA from Wharton, and has been offered jobs for a quarter of a million a year. Should they still get a free ride? Are they being denied a Jewish education by the school if they don't? (And would your answer be different if Shlomo had the MBA?)

Or Malka, who is divorced. She claims her ex doesn't pay support, and that she's flat broke. When a school wouldn't give her a free ride, she claimed that it was denying her kids a Jewish education. But she and the kids spend every winter break in Florida, Pesach at a hotel, and the teenage kids travel abroad every summer instead of getting jobs. Are her kids being denied a Jewish education by the school if they're not given a free ride?

(At least one of these scenarios is true.)

Are schools obligated to step in when the parents won't, even if the school believes they can?

I choose not to waste time thinking about the small minority of people who take advantage of the "system." We've been blessed with parnassa and give a lot of money to our school. The majority of families are doing their best, trying their hardest, and have kids who deserve a jewish education. I think of the kids, not the parents, when I write my check.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
WHERE?!

In Europe, probably. Many (but not all) Jewish schools here receive government funding to cover buildings and secular studies, so parents only have to pay for LK.

However, there's a catch as these schools need to follow government policies. It can range from admissions (can't really screen out halachically non-Jewish students), curriculum (need to adhere to national curriculum, % of LK can be limited as there is an overall cap on school hours).

happybeingamom

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
I choose not to waste time thinking about the small minority of people who take advantage of the "system." We've been blessed with parnassa and give a lot of money to our school. The majority of families are doing their best, trying their hardest, and have kids who deserve a jewish education. I think of the kids, not the parents, when I write my check.

You are the best and thank you!

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:

You missed my point entirely.

The point, of course, is that virtually every school is committed to ensuring that every Jewish child can receive a Jewish education. When we hear that any particular school is not, we should stop to wonder what else is going on.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 2:46 pm
We are OOT in the US. Our school tuition is $23-25k per child per year. We only pay about $11k per child, but our total tuition is still in the several tens of thousands of dollars.

We are seriously considering public school. We are lucky to have pretty high incomes, but are living paycheck to paycheck, can't afford to buy a house, and have maybe $10k in savings/retirement.

If we weren't paying tuition, we would have savings, could buy a home, have savings, and not have the huge stress of living month to month. We have seriously cut down all extra expenses so we can afford tuition. But the financial stress is wreaking havoc on our marriage, SB, and I think the kids feel it now too. If we didn't have tuition, I could work less and spend more time with kids and we would have so much more security and stress.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 11:22 pm
Just got our tuition bill for next year. For five kids , tenth grade through pre -1A, in our OOT community school, our full tuition bill is 64, 400. And btw, that is more than my husband ( a qualified teacher with a masters in education and 17 years experience) makes in a year pre-tax! I have decided not to feel bad about requesting a scholarship. So in the end, they are requesting (both schools we send to combined) 17,800 from us.... Whatever....

Ashrei

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:
Another mother from Australia. I am surprised you pay so much I assume you don't send your kids to Yeshivah in Melbourne or have a very high income as there they have the YBRcaps that you only pay $8000 per family for those who earn 100,000. You get charged a percentages based on your income
See for more info
https://www.ybrcaps.com/app/we.....S.pdf

I'm thinking of moving to Australia...

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 12:15 am
Suburbs of NYC. About $14,500 per child.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
We are OOT in the US. Our school tuition is $23-25k per child per year. We only pay about $11k per child, but our total tuition is still in the several tens of thousands of dollars.

We are seriously considering public school. We are lucky to have pretty high incomes, but are living paycheck to paycheck, can't afford to buy a house, and have maybe $10k in savings/retirement.

If we weren't paying tuition, we would have savings, could buy a home, have savings, and not have the huge stress of living month to month. We have seriously cut down all extra expenses so we can afford tuition. But the financial stress is wreaking havoc on our marriage, SB, and I think the kids feel it now too. If we didn't have tuition, I could work less and spend more time with kids and we would have so much more security and stress.

My mind is boggling and I feel for you. Tuition here is $10,000 a year. We have three kids in school next year, so that's $30,000. If we lived where you do, we'd be spending $75,000! That extra $45,000 is what makes us comfortable as opposed to struggling month to month. I guess I'm glad to live where I do, despite all the disadvantages here.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 9:19 am
After state vouchers paying for our bad school district's students to go to private school, we are left with a full tuition bill of 4350 a kid (ES, preschool doesn't have that option). Financial aid is still available for low income families though. Since my kindergartener doesn't go a full day, that would be $15,900 for my 4 kids K and up.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 9:46 am
Boro Park, Brooklyn $5700 for two. One in nursery and one in elementary. Granted they're in the same school, and there was a sibling discount. When we had only one in school we payed about $4000.

I've noticed one thing. A neighborhood that has more affordable housing will have more expensive tutions as well.
If theres a difference of $15,000-$20,000 per year, multiplied by 12-15 yrs of school- per one child that would be enough for my downpayment for a house in an expensive neighborhood.
Buying that home is a one time investment while tuitions are yearly for sometimes multiple children.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics