Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spending $200+ on Babies' and Girl's Hairbows? What?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:05 am
Runner18 wrote:
From the bio of the founder of Amour Bows:

"Today when I go out with my 2 beautiful daughters, and the fashion statement they imprint on everyone, with their trendy, chic accessories, I just can’t help but say thank you and smile."

Listen, if that's her priority in her life-- that her children should imprint a fashion statement on people they encounter-- I can only try to respect that not be judgmental just because that's my not personal priority in life. I hope and daven that when people meet my children, the imprint my children leave is based on their character and warmth..of course I want my kids to look put together, but that's not what my makes my heart feel full.

I don't look at my child as a means to bolster MY image in other people's eyes. For those who do, dressing your kids up with items that are irrationally expensive is the price you pay to a feel better about yourself and how people perceive you.

What does bother me is that I do think that in general, most families I know do not have money trees growing in their backyard, but the pressure to be liked-- whether in person or on Facebook- has a way of pushing people to spend money they don't have purely for the sake of status.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Unfortunately too many people are losing sight of what's important and are using their children as fashion accessories.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:16 pm
OP, there exists a sect of people who do not look at price tags. The come, they see, they purchase. Prices do not matter to them. Have you ever seen the Neiman Marcus Xmas book, specifically their 'dream gifts' section? Some people live in a very different cloud, a place where fiscal responsibility is entirely absent. I really don't think they buy to brag- I know people who have always traveled first class since childhood and they just simply don't understand why one would fly economy if first class is more comfortable.

Personally, I really can't see the $200 headband business becoming a real social pressure. Maybe headbands in the $20-$30 range will become more acceptable (I thought that was very expensive but here you see there's always bigger and better!), but $200+ is quite overblown and I don't see a single person here dreaming about purchasing one- the complete consensus is that they are ridiculously priced.

Especially, as pointed out, it looks like these designs can be easily replicated since they do not have major unique detailing on them. So if someone REALLY wants a headband like that they can make it themselves, or pay a friend to do it (presumably less than $200 Wink )

CatLady

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:13 pm
I think I'm going into the headband business. I was looking for a sideline income with the potential for huge profits, and this is just the ticket!

Barbara

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:03 pm
Chayalle wrote:
These look nice enough! The braided suede headbands at 6.99 are good enough for me.

Now all I need is a baby to put it on.

My friend's daughter clearly needs one of those.

It's wonderful being the doting auntie. I can buy ridiculous things on a whim, and I don't need to pay any bills!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:02 am
CatLady wrote:
I think I'm going into the headband business. I was looking for a sideline income with the potential for huge profits, and this is just the ticket!

I wonder how many she sells, and what it costs to maintain her website and asst other expenses. If she sells more than one a day, shes doing very well I think, if she sells one a week, maybe not.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics