Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you use a timer for your hot plate?
Previous  1  2

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:40 am
abaker wrote:
I'd love to use a timer for hot plate but can someone tell me sources for being allowed to set the timer to go off Friday night and back on shabbos day/put food on it? I will ask our LOR, but my husbands chavrusa says you can't use the timer to turn it back on. (Only use it to shut off) but I get so worried leaving it on all shabbos I think it's worth asking someone who will say it's ok to set the timer to go back on. It's a safety concern to leave on especially if we go to the park or shul or wherever and leave the house.

Ask your rabbi. My husband originally thought it wasn't allowed, but after the tragedy we were too nervous to continue leaving it on all Shabbos and his asked his rabbi, who surprisingly said yes right away. We now turn it on before Shabbos, it goes off after the Friday night meal, it goes back on at 9 am, and goes off again at about noon.

lfab

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:44 am
I put the hotplate on a timer. It's set to go off at tnight. I don't usually have it go back on for shabbos day unless I'm serving something that absolutely needs to be heated up and not eaten room temp (usually only when we have guests and I make a bigger/nicer variety). If I do have it go on I set it for around 11:00. It takes about an hour for the food to fully heat up. I put food on after it turns on. Food can be put on as long as it is not sitting in a sauce and not fully covered-I will open the lids a little. If food is sitting in a sauce I put it on an upside down pan (it can't be placed directly on hotplate). For yom tov I set the timer to go on and off at night then on in the morning and off again in the early afternoon. I'm more generous with the times as it's harder to gauge exactly when I'll need it but I do not leave it on overnight. If you really wanted to get fancy you could get a multi-day timer so you can set for different times on different days.

Optione

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:50 pm
I use a timer. Shabbos day it's off; I only make cholent and room temperature/cold foods.

Miri7

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:41 pm
We had stopped using the timer but after the recent tragedy we started using it again.

I do like Ifab does.

I had learned that if I want to put food on the plata on Shabbos day, then I should have it on plata to light candles, and have in mind that I will return to plata later. Then I put the food in fridge and return it to the plata Shabbos day.

I don't know what this business about having it in mind to return the food to the plata is all about. I don't know if there is some halachic basis for it, But that's the way I've always done it. I haven't asked DH or another rav what the basis is. DH seems to think it's unnecessary.

zoom

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:17 pm
I use a 7 day timeswitch. that way it doesn't repeat itself after 24 hours and I can change the times for each day eg fri night anmd shabs day and 3 day ymtv
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note