Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Breuers HS for boys Washington heights

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:28 am
Does anyone have info on Breuers boys high school in Washington heights in terms of frumkeit (ie yeshivish chasidish heimish etc) , level of learning, English department, quality of boys Etc.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 1:39 pm
I dont know that much about the boys, I have a friend whose father is a teacher or higher up there .If yu still need info I could find out.

But what I do know is that the I believe he is the hebrew principal Rabbi Solovatchik who is absolutly the best. I know him personally and he changed my son around. He cares for each and every boy like his own.

I do believe it is a good school. Really never heard anything negative about the boys. I think heimish might send there as it is a yekkie school/

JustHavingFun

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 2:07 pm
Breuer's is a regular black hat yeshiva, definitely not MO (although some more modernish kids may attend) but also not ultra-frummish (where they don't interact with the world). Not all kids are Yekkies (the neighborhood is changing a bit). Classes are small and by necessity close-knit. The boys go on to yeshiva gadol well-prepared from what I've heard. The school is not especially college-oriented but I think bais medrash bochrim can attend late classes after a certain point. It is somewhat allied with KAJ but they are in a separate facility and have their own rabbeim.

The boys I've met who go there are well-mannered and "normal"; some are poised and some studious. They're teens with a certain refinement. If you are considering Breuer's, you should ask them for the names of some parents of current students and speak with parents.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:02 pm
The boys have a reputation for being more menchlich than most and showing more achdus than most. Not college-oriented but they have a full secular studies dept, take regents exams and get an academic diploma. their computer classes are a joke, though, and in science they have no labs, only lecture classes. SAT's you have to make arrangements on your own. The school doesn't do it for you. They don't come out and say college is tref but they don't go out of their way to encourage it either, even though they take "college level" courses in jr. & sr. year. "College level" is a joke --if you plan to major in that field, you will need to re-take the course because you will be way behind, but it's ok for getting out of a few core requirements classes in freshman year.
Neighborhood has changed a lot, not "a bit", and so has the mesivta. Very few of the boys live in the neighborhood, as the grandchildren of the founders have in large part drifted to the right and moved to places like Monsey and Lakewood. The school is trying to become a standard black-hat yeshiva and has been moving in that direction for many years, but is more liberal than the most RW schools. Still, they steer the boys to very black-hat yeshivas post-HS.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics