Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this a normal reaction?

miami85

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:01 pm
With my first 2 kids they didnt have formula on a regular basis until 6 months or so, my baby currently gets 1-3 6oz bottles of formula depending if I have a chance to pump at work. I've noticed that she gets fussier in the evenings and she grunts a lot like she needs to go but can't and her stomach feels hard. I'll do a little rectal stimluation and then it all comes flying/oozing out and it's greenish-yellow and she's much happier. I've asked WIC to give us the gentleease formula. Will that alleviate this problem or is this normal with formula?

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:05 pm
Not normal Sad

bnm

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:08 pm
formula constipates some babies

mandr

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 10:21 pm
Agree it's probably the formula. Have you tried a different one? She could have a sensitivity to dairy, for example, so maybe try soy-based formula. Also, stimulating the rectum is not a good practice. It's ok for once in a blue moon but to do it consistently just relaxes the muscles and makes them not work as effectively and that's really something you DON'T WANT happening.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:53 am
DD was lactose intolerant, so we used Infamil LactoFree formula. We added a teaspoon or two of prune juice to her bottle once a day, and that sorted everything out. By the time she was 1 she didn't need the prune anymore.

chani8

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 4:05 am
It's typical for babies to get constipated from formula. The ped here recommended putting olive oil in the bottles. Works wonderfully well and is a nice way to get extra calories in baby.

smss

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 3:55 pm
it's most probably a dairy sensitivity, but soy formula is not the greatest for babies Sad

can you try pumping at night, or in the morning before you go to work?

miami85

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:38 pm
She doesn't really have problems when shes on my milk--even with me consuming dairy, hopefully the gentlease will help. With my first 2 I had extra milk, so I was always able to leave enough for them but right now I'm making just enough for when I'm home and my job is so busy that I don't always have time to pump so if I don't then I'm uncomfortable all day.

smss

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:16 pm
miami85 wrote:
She doesn't really have problems when shes on my milk--even with me consuming dairy, hopefully the gentlease will help. With my first 2 I had extra milk, so I was always able to leave enough for them but right now I'm making just enough for when I'm home and my job is so busy that I don't always have time to pump so if I don't then I'm uncomfortable all day.

I was looking up gentlease to see how it's made, what makes it easier to digest than regular formula, and I happened to notice that the first ingredient is corn syrup. shock my goodness. is that typical of formula?
anyway, I wasn't really able to figure out from their website what makes it different- but basically, if the sensitivity is to the lactose, a lactose-free formula would help, but if the sensitivity is to the milk proteins, any dairy would do it. they said something about breaking down the proteins. I'm not really sure what that means.

my DD was fine with breastfeeding while I ate dairy, but couldn't tolerate dairy formula (or dairy products, even now...)

mandr

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 11:01 pm
My niece had anaphylactic reaction to cow milk that spilled on her, but when she nursed (and my sister never avoided dairy) she didn't have any reaction except for milk eczema.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics