Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Best zoo search!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:36 pm
Hi, we would like to take the kids (various ages) on a trip.
we think that a zoo would make the most sense as this is something that all will enjoy, as opposed to a museum or amusement park...

so now the question is WHERE TO?
we're from Brooklyn- and ready to travel up to about 2 hours.

so I know the Phili zoo is great. any feedback on Turtleback zoo, as that is much closer? or any other suggestions (been to Central & Prospect park zoo countless times & somehow Bronx zoo doenst excite anyone as theres lot of walking done..l.)

Notsobusy

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:55 pm
We haven't been to the Turtleback zoo in years, I remember that it was pretty small. Not a lot of exciting animals. There's the zoo in Van Saun Park which is also a smaller zoo. Although if you don't want to walk a lot, smaller is better.

There's a great zoo in Cape May County, it's probably a little longer than a 2 hour drive from Brooklyn. I don't think it would be worth the drive, but it is a really nice zoo.

doctorima

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:50 pm
Turtleback Zoo recently did some renovations and added a ropes course and zip line, and maybe some other features as well. So that's fun stuff to do, but as far as the zoo, it's still not a big zoo. I haven't been to Philly Zoo, but I would assume it's the largest within 2 hours of NYC.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:33 pm
doctorima wrote:
Turtleback Zoo recently did some renovations and added a ropes course and zip line, and maybe some other features as well. So that's fun stuff to do, but as far as the zoo, it's still not a big zoo. I haven't been to Philly Zoo, but I would assume it's the largest within 2 hours of NYC.

My extended family actually went to Turtleback Zoo last year, and boy what a change from what I remember of it growing up. Though it's on the small side (like, no where near the scale of the Bronx Zoo, but definitely much bigger than Van Suan) we thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't know if we even got to all of it (but definitely most of it).

It was really beautiful too, with nice landscaping and appealing exhibits. Lots of props for great photos, and quite a range of animals. We loved the train ride (which has no additional cost) and there's an indoor hands-on exhibit with sting rays and baby sharks that we could hardly tear my younger DD away from.

There's a house of birds where for a small fee you get a stick with bird food, and the birds land on the stick to eat....DD was thrilled holding tiny parakeets on her stick.

The carousel (also a small fee) is composed of many different kinds of animal ride-ons, and the kids had a blast choosing to ride on a hawk, a frog, a lion, etc...

This in addition to the many exhibits like bears, monkeys, buffalo, etc....

We didn't even get to do the ropes course - you have to book in advance as it can fill up and there were no slots available. No matter! We had a great time.

studying_torah

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:16 pm
We went to turtleback zoo on chol hamoed and hated it- most of the animals were not in their enclosures and it was super boring!
We always love small zoos but this one did not cut it.
There is pop corn park zoo and animal kingdom- both near lakewood; the cape may zoo is nice as well.

yenny

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:32 pm
Paws and claws is nice
Southwick zoo in MA check it out online it.

spring13

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:33 pm
My family enjoys Turtleback, it's small but does have some interesting animals and is more manageable for little kids than a bigger place. There's also an incredible playground nearby called the Regatta Playground, and a paddleboating place right next to that.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:35 am
We've joined because we live close by and like it so much. It's expanded a lot in the past several years. Previous posters mentioned the train ride and manta ray touch tank, the train ride is more suited to younger children. If you do go, check out the butterfly enclosure. There's a small extra fee but my kids loved it when the butterflies landed on them. If you do plan to check out this exhibit, consider dressing in bright colors as this seems to attract the butterflies.

You can check out their website turtlebackzoo.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics