Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Inyan - Nachman Seltzer's Story about "Tony"

ChossidMom

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 4:55 pm
Did anyone read the story about the gas station owner, Tony, who needed a loan desperately? In last week's Hamodia - Inyan.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:02 pm
Yeah. You sure you want to discuss this here? Wink

debsey

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:29 pm
I read it. Cute story, I thought......am I missing something?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:57 am
Hehe.
Yeah, I wanted to "discuss" it here
Rabbi Nachman Seltzer heard that story from ME at the seuda for my my dad (Yisrael ben Pesach)'s last yahrzeit.
It was my dad that it happened to and my brother who lent the 3000 shekels to someone as a result of remembering my dad's story. My dad drove into a Mobil station on Beach Channel Drive (in the Rockaways) one day, many years ago. He met Tony for the first time in his life and saw that he had a problem. He asked about it and Tony told him that he needed $1000 urgently. My dad (not a rich man) happened to have the money. He lent it to him. Tony did repay him, of course. Many years later (about 30 years ago) I was studying in NY and my dad in Israel said to go to Tony if I ever have a problem. I did and Tony was overjoyed to see me and told me that he owed my dad his life because he had been about to commit suicide over the money problem and that if I ever needed anything I should come to him!
After I told over this story at the seuda my brother added his p.s. to the story - about having the 3000 shekels in his pocket and lending it to a stranger.

June

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:50 am
I don't get the Hamodia/Inyan, but this sounds like a beautiful story to pass down in your family!

Has it been published previously? The details seem very familiar to me

rainbow dash

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:57 am
Wow!!!!!!!!!!

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:14 am
Nope, it was never published in any form. My family hadn't discussed this in years and I suddenly remembered it and told it over at the yahrzeit seuda in Shvat.

theotherone

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:08 am
I enjoyed reading the story. Yasher koach to your family. I dont think I would have been so generous :-)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:08 am
Beautiful story. (Amazing how Nachman Seltzer manages to hear so many but now I believe it Tongue Out ) May your father continue to have nachas, and may you see doros living his legacy.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:42 am
theotherone wrote:
I enjoyed reading the story. Yasher koach to your family. I dont think I would have been so generous :-)

It's a pretty far out story. I don't know what made my dad do that but he was a very big hearted guy with alot of empathy for the next person. He really FELT people. He honestly felt he could trust Tony. And his intuition was right. I wish he were around to ask him about it now....

Nachman is married to my father's granddaughter so that's how he heard the story. That's how it is with these "author types" lol. Chaim Walder also has tons of stories which he writes up or tells on his weekly radio show here. Unreal stories. People call these authors and tell them their stories if they think they are worthwhile to share.

This week Walder told of a woman whose daughter wasn't getting in to a certain BY high school in Israel and her husband recommended that she go down there and meet with the principal. She soooo didn't want to do this but she did it for her husband. BTW the principal had been her 4th grade math teacher. She goes down to the school and miraculously gets past the shomer and secretaries whose job it is to keep everyone away from the principal. She manages to meet with the principal who listens to what she says about her daughter and then says to her that she'll "think about it", and she KNEW what that meant - a big fat no. Then she decided to tell the principal about 4th grade. So she told her that she had been her student in 4th grade and the principal asked her name again. When she heard it, she went white and told her "Your daughter will be admitted to this school". Then the principal tells the mother a story. She told her that when she was a young math teacher, the principal was not nice to her at all and always made bad remarks to her and criticized. Never gave her promotions etc. One day, the MOTHER of a student wrote a beautiful letter to the principal, describing how wonderful this math teacher was and extolling her virtues. As a result of this letter the principal started to be nicer to her and share stuff with her. Eventually she promoted her. And after that she wound up making her the assistant principal. Eventually, the principal retired and SHE became principal. Not long thereafter a high school opened and she was offered the job to be principal, and there she was. The mother who wrote the beautiful letter was YOUR mother, she told the woman sitting across from her and I owe her everything. So, even if your daughter is not on the level of the school I am very grateful to have the chance to repay her grandmother for the good she did for me.

Is that, like, a totally WOW story? I'm so happy that people seek out the authors to get their stories told because truth is stranger than fiction and they give so much chizuk. Walder concluded that "Everything a person does, he does for himself, in the long run". It's so true!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:44 am
I heard/read that story once (the Walder one) -- he didn't previously publish it?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:52 am
I heard it on his radio show on Monday night. No idea if it was published. Usually he says if it was in one of his books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room