Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Guttman OT - Please respond if you know about them!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 11:42 pm
I can't seem to find the original thread but about a year ago I heard of this person through imamother, a few people here recommended her for a child with sensory integration problems. I looked into it at the time and decided to wait on it because they are really expensive and not covered by insurance or DOE or anything. At the time my concerns were more mild and I was thinking maybe I'd try to get OT through the DOE instead... nothing ever came of that.

Anyway now the same child is having bigger issues so I was thinking of going to them now but now the issues are more than just sensory, and I'd like to know if anyone has gone to them with similar problems and whether their program helped with those problems in addition to the sensory things. I am EXTREMELY worried about the child's social development, she does not seem to interact normally/age-appropriately with peers. Also, I used to think her hyperactive moments were sensory-seeking - she still has sensory-seeking behaviors but now when she's hyper it seems more like she's in her own zone, almost like out of her mind. It's like she's a different person - I've seen high activity levels where the activity has some direction, but she just seems to go kind of crazy, it's hard to describe, but it's like she's not even "there." It spooks me out, I know hyper and this is not your ordinary hyper.

I am going to look into getting her help with the social stuff (will also be posting about that, and yes I'm the same person who posted on generally how/from whom to get help with this - somewhat different questions, sorry for all the posts) but would like to know if the Guttmans' program helped your child's overall development, socially and stuff in addition to sensory.

Also I would like to know if their very high cost includes the materials you need or if you need to buy equipment for their exercises or whatever separately.

Final question for now: I saw on the Integrated Listening System website that this Guttman is a provider for them. Is that what her program is about, or does she do other things with the kids as well? And if she does do ILS, as I asked above, do we need to buy their stuff separately? I understand that's its own $1000 or so....

Thanks in advance! This is a big decision for us, both financially and in trying to get things right with our child, so hearing from people who have been there would really help.

amother

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 10:09 pm
Bump. For more of the story, see thread about developmental concerns. Here I am specifically asking if this OT was helpful with your developmental concerns. Anyone? please?

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:11 pm
Bumping again. On that other thread people seemed to think they were so phenomenal. You'd think if that's the case more people here would know about them?

otsrock

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:28 pm
I don't know about them personally. But as an aside, I believe the iLs can be rented.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:30 pm
She should be willing to do a quick overview of her approach, based on your description of your child.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 10:26 pm
I know about ILS. What I would like to know is if that's what they do, or if they just happen to be certified in it but mostly use other stuff. Also if the cost is extra if that is part of what they do.

She did not offer any quick overview, just said it is highly individualized based on what they see when they do the personal evaluation, which on one hand makes sense but on the other hand doesn't give me much to grasp for now. I do appreciate the idea of having different approaches depending on the problem, but I would like some examples to help me figure out if they are the right fit for us. Hard to tell.

amother

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 11:36 am
I was thinking of taking my son there and I spoke to the guttmans. I also took a seminar they gave. they sounded very knowledgeable in many different areas. the reason I didn't take my son to them was that aside from the tremendous amount of money they charge, I spoke to some ppl who went through the program and said its extremely intense. there has to be a complete commitment. from what I heard it wasn't something I would be able to really keep up.

amother

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 2:49 pm
Amother above, can you please share what they told you that was too intense? Because I still don't know anyone who knows anything about it. Some info would be helpful. On one hand, I feel like I should be ready to do anything if it will help my child, but on the other hand I'm also a little scared it will be too much. We have a very hectic life.

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 9:09 pm
they evaluate your child and give you a protocol. they tell you how long they will be working with your child etc. one person I spoke to said she went 3x a week for a few months {dont remember how many}during this time there were exercises she had to do with her child at home that sounded very intense. then there was another 18 (!!!) months of home exercise and periodical visits. she said she dropped out after spending a forotune simply bec she had a life. she had other kids. she wasnt able to keep it all up. I spoke to them. they really really know theyre stuff. but.... its definitely worth speaking to them and seeing if this is something you could afford ( financially and time wise)

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 9:38 pm
I did talk to them on the phone but, reasonably enough, they said they can't tell me what will be involved until after they evaluate my kid. And doing that costs minimum $950 even without anything further! They said typically you'd visit them every month or so - there is NO WAY I could afford ($ or time) 3x/week!!! - and it could take 6 months to a year on average. They said you need to be committed to following through at home but gave zero detail about what you'd actually have to do. Time and money are both big concerns - I don't live so close to them so each visit would be a trip, money is tight, and I work a job and a half and have a couple of little kids. On the other hand, I would like to say I'd move heaven and earth to spare my kid any pain in the future. On the third hand, who's to say we couldn't do as well with regular OT and such? On the fourth hand, by the time we'd find out it could be much worse. On the fifth hand, if I were an octopus already, then I could probably manage to do exercises with my child while balancing the rest of life together!

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:17 pm
Hi I am an OT- the cost is crazy. you do not need to go broke to get OT services for your child. Call an agency and have child evaluated and they will be eligible. There are plenty of clinics that take RSA's that do wonderful jobs.

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:54 pm
DOE says we're not eligible because no academic problems (yet. But I'm not willing to wait.) Due to new social concerns they may approve us now but that won't start until next year, and probably not until a couple of months into next year because I know they always start slow. And my dinky insurance doesn't cover any OT. Plus apparently these people are doing something different than traditional OT so... I dunno. Confused

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 1:19 am
Was just reading this thread did you ever go? im really wanting to know if you ended up going this route and why or why not?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:04 pm
I am OP. I did not go because of the expense and because I wasn't ready to commit to a program without knowing what it will require of me. I feel terrible for saying this when I should be willing to do anything for my kid, but I have a very busy life and not much support. But I'm still considering it because we continue to have issues. DD has been getting OT from the board of ed and it seems to have helped in some ways but for everything that improves, new issues come up - the same type, but expressing in different ways. it doesn't seem like the core issues are being resolved. I don't know if these Guttmans are the ones who can do it but we need to try something and they're one option I'm still considering. Would still like to hear more experiences, if they are so popular you'd assume more people on here would have used them!

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:54 pm
my friend just went to get her child evaluated. They are so crazy expensive (250$ an hour) . I think its not expensive I think its taking advantage of desperate parents. Sometimes I wonder about the people who swear by them ...maybe their child is grpowing up??!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:48 pm
Thanks for response. I agree it's strange more people don't know about what they do if it's really so amazing, but they're the only ones who seem to have a reason and cure for the problems everyone else just treats the issues. I don't get the feeling they're just ripping people off I think they are very busy and can have succes,just the feeling I get, but not sure why it's so hard to find out more. Good luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:06 pm
What issues do they claim to treat? Seems like they put more work on parents and regular OT would have just as good results if the parents did what the OT does twice a week for 30 minutes.

yenny

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:07 pm
Your daughter sounds like mine and I'm also getting more and more worried. How old is your daughter?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:43 am
Bump . I'm a new another. I'm wondering if anyone has used them and had success. Or even the flip side if anyone has tried them and didn't have success or didn't follow the program...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:04 pm
Bump. Anyone??
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics