Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do you handle 2 toddlers @ playground??

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 6:18 pm
I could really use some advice on how to make this work. When I take my toddlers aged 1.5 and 2.5 to the playground they of course want to run and play. My challenge is that they run in opposite directions. The little one might run to the swings and needs to be scooped up before a swinging child hits her or can run out of the playground. The older one runs to the big kid slides and platforms which are quite high, open and there are older kids there running who could easily knock her. I need to be up there with her to keep her safe and since it's a pretty big playground then can't keep track of the little one who refused to wait in the stroller.

Recently I found myself holding the little one while running after the big one and helping her on the slide while the little one cried "down!". She also wanted to run and play. When I tried to take the big one to the swings so her sister could have a turn at playing she didn't want to leave the slide and crib, sat on the ground and refused to walk with me. I ended up having to carry them screaming to the stroller. Very physically taxing for me.

They really need the chance to play outside and I so want them to run and play and enjoy but how do I keep them safe and myself sane? I don't have anyone to come with me during the week.

Would love to hear what has worked for others in similar situations.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 6:26 pm
I will be following this. I used to live somewhere that had a small, gated playground that was great for toddlers. They couldn't leave, and the park was small enough that you could see the whole thing from just about anywhere within, so I felt comfortable letting the older one roam while I stayed more on top of the younger one. Where we moved, the park is much larger and this is not an option. The first time we went, they insisted on running in opposite directions. BH it was Sunday and I called DH and said "I need you to come NOW", and he did. But that's not an option during the week. It's a nice park, but I just can't deal with it on my own. I have no idea what to do...

bitachon111

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 6:28 pm
Olive I guess I'm not the only one! Your description makes me wonder if we go to the same park.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 6:54 pm
I make sure my kids play on the same structure at the same time. it's been a while since I've had two toddlers, but I used to manage it. turn it into a game: toddler A is the leader now, let's all follow him! next it'll be toddler B's turn.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:04 pm
I have two toddlers. The older one gets to decide where we start, and the younger one follows along. That is the only way that works for me.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:12 pm
I would find a different park that has only toddler-sized climbing and slides.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:54 pm
A different park is not an option in my case. I need to find solutions that have worked for others with same aged children to use at my park.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:05 pm
Go early before the playground becomes crowded

stick to the toddler friendly area if possible. The big kid area's should be off limits.

Also, everyone plays in the the same area at the same time. If your youngest is running around then try to guide him/her to a slide or some point of interest. If you are chasing the youngest, then back in the stroller the youngest goes while you let the older one play for a short while.

Dont expect to be there for a long time maybe half an hour or so.

The baby swings work simultaneously.

Really make it a point to look for parks with toddler equipment.

You will see, little by little your children will become more patient and focused and won't run around as much in a scattered way.

Dont be intimidated just be cautious and teach them how to play properly in the playground.

lfab

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:54 pm
For those saying only play on the toddler equipment that doesn't work for all kids. It may be enough for a 1.5 year old but all of my kids had outgrown our parks toddler area by the time they were 2 (granted it's somewhat small and pathetic and other parks may have more elaborate play areas for toddlers). I don't know your specific circumstances but if possible try to find another park that is smaller and you can monitor both at the same time or one that only has equipment that is safe for toddlers. It also depends how on top of your older child you feel you need to be. My kids are pretty physically active and by 2.5 I felt that they were safe enough on the big kid slides at our park as long as I was nearby. So I would let my 2.5 year old climb and let 1.5 year old run around near the play area. This way I could visually monitor the older one and intervene if I felt she was doing something unsafe.
Another thing I did when we got the park I let the older child choose where to start off slides or swings. Whichever they chose they got to play for 15 minutes then we moved to the other area. At 2.5 the older child can still go in the infant swings if he/she wants to. If the older child doesn't want to swing bring along something else for him/her to play with while you push the younger one (sidewalk chalk, bubbles...). Or you can have the 2.5 year old eat a snack in the stroller while you push the younger child on the swing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics