Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Just got a call from the mortgage company...

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 11:45 am
...and I'm a renter! They called asking for me/DH and NOT the landlord, and they had the correct address. I was so surprised and just said, we're renting, we don't have a mortgage, and hung up. Now I'm freaking out! Should I call the company back and ask what's going on? Could there be something wrong? What are the possibilities and how could this affect us? I will add, this is NOT some shady illegal apt, this is a house, with a lease, that we found through a legit realtor from a well-known local real estate agency.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
...and I'm a renter! They called asking for me/DH and NOT the landlord, and they had the correct address. I was so surprised and just said, we're renting, we don't have a mortgage, and hung up. Now I'm freaking out! Should I call the company back and ask what's going on? Could there be something wrong? What are the possibilities and how could this affect us? I will add, this is NOT some shady illegal apt, this is a house, with a lease, that we found through a legit realtor from a well-known local real estate agency.

You should have allowed the individual to say what he/she was calling about, rather than hanging up the phone. Even if it is something to be concerned about, it's better to know what you are up against.

Now I'll tell you some of the harmless possibilities:
1. Was it a realtor? Sometimes realtors look up numbers associated with addresses in a Blue Book (Tax information will show the owner, but not the phone number). That book shows the name and number of the individual who occupies the premises and not necessarily who owns. Realtors may call so that they can get new listings or because their clients are interested in purchasing real estate.

2. Your landlord may be doing a refinance and the mortgage company was following up on the authenticity of the lease or to find out about insurance. It's not the most professional way to go about it, but it has occurred.

3. Blind dial advertisements done through records similar to the Blue Book I described.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:13 pm
There's a good chance it was a telemarketer. I wouldn't worry about it. I always get mail that says on the outside "important info about your mortgatge" or something similar, and it's just someone trying to get us to switch our mortgage to them. If they keep calling, find out what they want, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:17 pm
The phone, and email too, never mean anything at all. All serious matters are handled on paper through the post, the mail.

Be polite but do not exchange even two words with strangers. "No thank you, click."

You gave out personal information to a stranger. It's harmless this time, but don't do that again. It's nobody's business if you rent or not.

That was someone in a phone room on the other side of the world. Motives unknown.

Never take anything seriously that is not on paper, and even then, be careful. Triangulate and double check.

Yes, they have your name and ask for Mr or Mrs so and so. That means nothing.

It all means nothing.

My guess is that was a scam to obtain personal data such as date of birth and social security number after getting your confidence.

Yes. You talked to a real criminal. Stop trusting phone calls. They are pure air.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:22 pm
maybe it means someone went behind your back and bought the house for you.

mfb

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:27 pm
Probably realtor looking for more business, and going through the phone book.

SRS

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:38 pm
Chances are if there was an actual problem the owner or management company would have received a notice in the mail from their mortgage company if there was a payment issue. When you receive a call, don't hang up until you know it isn't a problem. Just ask why they are call and continue to ask questions until you have information. But do not give our any of your personal information on the phone. If Bank of America, as an example, calls and gives information that makes sense, you can call them directly with a case number or reference number and speak to someone directly.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 5:45 pm
Op here with an update: I called the number back and reached the marketing department of a lending company, so it seems it was, in fact, a telemarketer. Now that I think about it, when they called, the guy said, Hello, I'd like to speak with Amother or DH about your mortgage. So it seems they were just looking to sell something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics