Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Speech Issue

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 6:15 pm
DS 8 has a considerable lisp and has been doing great with speech therapy. He's had many sessions and we practice at home. The therapist now feels that she's done as he speaks beautifully during sessions, but, and here's the big but, it doesn't carry over into his daily speech!

He's not been able to incorporate it other than in one-to-one practice.

I suggested they just have informal conversations for the last couple of months however nothing seems to change. He's great during practice but zehu.

How can I get him to make this a part of him? Suggestions please!

nyc123

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 8:03 pm
A good speech therapist should be targeting generalization from the beginning. Or at the very least, certainly before discharging from therapy, especially if he is stimulable for the sound in isolated tasks or one on one. The whole goal of therapy is to be able to show those improvements OUTSIDE of the therapy room! Your suggestions are great, although targeting it in general conversation might be too big a step to take at once.

Here are some ideas I have (I'm an SLP Wink )

-include another child in the therapy sessions so that he can practice in a group setting to generalize to other communication partners

-the SLP can give the child an assignment to say something to someone else (I.e his teacher, parent, etc) that includes the target sound, and practice saying it first in therapy together. Then your son and speech therapist can practice in a role play conversation. Then he can say it to the predetermined person without the SLP present and he and they can both report back on how it sounded.

-the SLP can work on having him self-monitor more during sessions. Instead of her giving him cues and correcting him, ask him after saying a word whether he said it right or not. Make sure to ask him when he says the sound in the word correctly, as well as when he doesn't, otherwise he'll think he must have done it wrong because you're asking.

It sounds like he's a good candidate for improvement with some more therapy specifically focused on generalization. Good luck!

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 7:33 am
Thanks nyc123. Great suggestions!

About the self-monitoring, the thing is that he IS managing to enunciate the words correctly, he's really great with the therapist. It's more about out-of-session time. I'll mention these ideas to the therapist and try to practice them at home too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics