Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Traveling to Israel with 1 year old. Tips? Advice?

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:09 pm
What do I do about car seat/stroller? How do I survive the 12 hour flight? How do I entertain baby throughout the day without all her favorite toys etc. (we won't be able to bring most of them with us)?

yenny

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:54 pm
Snap n go is the best thing to take. It was a life saver. Make sure you have one with a hood. Our trip was extremely smooth due to the snap go.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 11:01 pm
Thanks yenny. But my baby hates the snap and go because she hates the car seat.

Should I buy an umbrella stroller? or is age 1 too young?

yenny

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 11:06 pm
I dont think umbrella would work well. The wheels are not good for touring walking alot or stones.You want her to be able to sleep in it from time to time and it doesn't recline. Summer heat needs a good hood. They are quite flimsy for a trip.

yenny

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 11:13 pm
Order a bassinet seat on the plane. Even if she doesn't use it ,you get the best leg room.
I did not check in the snap go and we took it on to the plane, they store it up front. After takeoff ,I asked them for it and I kept it at my feet. It was great bc that's the only way my dc slept. The hood came in handy then too bc of the lights.

workaholicmama

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 12:29 am
OT. This thread reminded me of the time I traveled with 3 little ones under 5... the Gentiles/secular travelers were not happy with my kids... they kept on asking the flight attendants to intervene... one of them asked my husband why we couldn't keep them quiet, she asked who's older, dh or the kids?? My DH asked her back if she has any kids of her own... for her negative reply, he said that she'll just never understand what it means to keep kids quiet on a 12 hr flight... between ourselves we just discussed that if we were to force them quiet by hitting or other methods, they will clearly report as child abuse...

choco1

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:27 am
This may sound interesting. But I bought a baby Bjorn on the plane and my baby slept on my chest( even at the age) to walk around in israel I think a maclaren is fine. Of course may not be the smoothest but totally practical and easy. (Lots of us here have this living in israel)

Have a great time!

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:53 am
You can gate check your stroller and a car seat. Bring a stroller your child would be comfortable napping in since you may be out during nap time. A quality carrier is worth it if you want to do some hiking or long tours.
Keep your baby up before the flight so she will more likely sleep most of the flight. I took my baby to the window by the bathrooms, he enjoyed looking out and moving around.
Magnadoodle was good. She might figure it out, mine did at 6 months.

wiki

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:49 pm
I went with a baby at that age. The flight is awful even if it goes perfectly, but totally worth the wonderful trip! Bring a stroller that baby can maybe nap in. We also brought along a car seat, so there was a lot of cargo at gate-check, but that's fine. A babywearing sling is great for the kotel steps and hikes, where the stroller will not be so useful. (Although did they finish building the elevator between the Kotel and the Rova? Might want to look into that.)

We got the bassinet seat one way, and it was GREAT even though baby was too big to sleep in it; baby was able to sit in it and play and we had much more room.

We brought along stacking cups, 3 books that don't get boring, and two small vehicles. Most of the places where we stayed had other things to play with. Baby also played with a piece of paper that we ripped into tons of confetti on the plane--it made a mess but entertained for an entire hour!

Liebs

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:03 pm
Lots of snacks!
Baby crayons
Big stickers and papers
bubbles (if they will let liquid, less than 3 oz bottle)
dvd player...they like the screen (or flight may have private screens)
if want to take infant seat on plane ask at check in if any empty seats , if there are just walk on with it and just say yes yes we have a seat.
Any toy that baby likes that is small...ball...book..
hope for the best! Pack along medicine and ear drops and lots of changes of clothing (spill the water...another good game).
if you get desperate-take the baby to the bathroom and sit him on the changing table. Will have a blast looking in the mirror, filling cups of water and spilling in sink....
this is best activity just can't hog bathroom for too long unless quiet time and no line.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics