Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Need Dessert to send to shabbos hosts

granolamom

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 5:20 pm
we're eating out next shabbos and I offered to bring a dessert. problem is that we usually dont eat desset so I have no idea what to bring. must be parve, nut free, not frozen, and not something in individual servings (I have no idea how many other guests will be there). Ideas?
thanks

QUEENY

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 5:27 pm
A Bundt cake...marble, blueberry, chocolate , lemon,chocolate chip, blueberry

November

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 6:44 pm
I have found that people are not very picky about getting dessert. So you can try chocolate chip cookies/bars, oatmeal bars, chocolate cake, marble cake, etc.

UQT

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 7:48 pm
How about boston cream pie for a 500 calorie per bite dessert that tastes delicious?

granolamom

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 9:03 am
thanks for all of the suggestions

Queeny - how would you wrap a frosted or glazed bundt cake? I usually just keep mine in a covered cake stand. or should I avoid frosting?

November - that's good to know. I always feel like I have to bring something 'special'. If I cant figure out the bundt cake thing, maybe I will just bring my tried and true choc chip cookies.

UQT - sounds delicious Smile is it a ton of work? would you mind posting the recipe?

Laiya

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 11:06 am
Chocolate chip sticks from Kosher by design. Tie with a ribbon; place into a fancy plastic cup

Raisin

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 12:55 pm
you can't go wrong with choc chip cookies.

Although some people see cakes and cookies as not really dessert, dessert needs to be a pie or whatever. I don't agree - most people are happy enough with cookies. Having said that, I usually serve cake or cookies with ice cream or fruit. (or both)

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 1:14 pm
You can't go wrong with a Bundt cake.

Most of my Bundt cake recipes have glaced frosting which becomes hard so transportation is not an issue. I often bring a Bindt cake for dessert to other people's homes. I just wrap with foil.

It's too late but Tupperware makes a great cake holder with handles so its easy to bring a more delicate cake.

granolamom

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 2:59 pm
Amarante wrote:
You can't go wrong with a Bundt cake.

Most of my Bundt cake recipes have glaced frosting which becomes hard so transportation is not an issue. I often bring a Bindt cake for dessert to other people's homes. I just wrap with foil.

It's too late but Tupperware makes a great cake holder with handles so its easy to bring a more delicate cake.

would you mind sharing your favorite glazed bundt cake recipe?

and its not too late...we're going next week so maybe I can try to find said cake holder with handles.
thanks for the idea

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 3:02 pm
granolamom wrote:
would you mind sharing your favorite glazed bundt cake recipe?

and its not too late...we're going next week so maybe I can try to find said cake holder with handles.
thanks for the idea

My favorite is lemon and ginger. Do you have any favorite flavors. Also, I assume this is fleshing recipe because my real favorites are with butter. LOL LOL

The cake holder is really fabulous if you like to bring desserts. It also is good just for storing cakes at home anyway.

agreer

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:05 pm
Raisin wrote:
you can't go wrong with choc chip cookies.

Although some people see cakes and cookies as not really dessert, dessert needs to be a pie or whatever. I don't agree - most people are happy enough with cookies. Having said that, I usually serve cake or cookies with ice cream or fruit. (or both)

WADR, I disagree. You CAN go wrong with cookies.

In my world, cookies = snack.
Cake, however, is always an amazing choice. And the chocolatier, the better!

A bundt cake is a great idea! It always looks so pretty.

Another idea is the hershey's chocolate cake (the recipe is on the box of cocoa). It's moist and delicious, and if you frost it with the frosting recipe on the back.... whoa, baby. You could even pour it into a bundt cake, bake, and frost/glaze and you've killed two birds with one stone.

Good luck!

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:18 pm
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bundt Cake

Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
225 g / 8 oz unsalted margarine, at room temperature
2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup soy milk, at room temperature
12 oz chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9- to 10-inch Bundt pan.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Working with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately - add the flour in 3 additions and the buttermilk in 2, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix only until the ingredients are incorporated and scrape down the bowl as needed. Turn off the mixer, and with a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top.

Bake in the center of the oven for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean. If at any point the cake is browning too fast, cover the top loosely with a piece of foil. Transfer the cake to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before unmolding, then cool to room temperature on the rack. Finish the top of the cake with a dusting of powdered sugar

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:20 pm
Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon for blueberries and zest
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, room temperature
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
Nonstick cooking spray, for pan
Confectioners ’ sugar, for dusting (optional)
LEMON GLAZE (WHISK THE TWO INGREDIENTS TOGETHER UNTIL NO LUMPS)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
2 1/2 cups of confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk 2 1/2 cups flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.

2 In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of the coconut milk & lemon juice. (flour, liquids, flour, liquids, flour)

3 In a bowl, toss blueberries and zest with remaining teaspoon flour; gently fold into batter. Coat a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray. Spread batter in prepared pan.

4 Bake cake on bottom rack of oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto a rack; cool completely, top side up. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.

5 Wait until the cake is COMPLETELY cool to add the lemon glaze. (Otherwise the glaze will soak into the cake instead of lying on top.)

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:24 pm
Jewish Apple Cake

Mom's Apple Cake

6 apples, Mom uses McIntosh apples
1 tablespoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons sugar
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a tube pan. Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Toss with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ones, then add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely before running knife between cake and pan, and unmolding onto a platter.

Smile1234

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 2:43 pm
Caramel cake. I think I once posted it elsewhere on this site.

ilovesem

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 6:41 pm
Cookies is not a dessert in my house either.
How about mousse in individual cups, or trifle, or tiramisu, Eton mess etc all work well as portions

granolamom

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:30 pm
amarante - can I use frozen blueberries?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 4:48 pm
granolamom wrote:
amarante - can I use frozen blueberries?

Fresh blueberries are of course best. However, if for some reason, frozen is your only option, you should not thaw the berries but fold into the batter still frozen. This is because when the berries thaw, their skins burst so you wind up with a lot of juice and broken berries that stains the batter. Wild frozen blueberries, in my experience, are better for baking if you can find those.

Either fresh or frozen, don't neglect to toss the berries in flour before folding into the batter so they don't all clump and sink to the bottom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics