Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
JUVENILE Rheumatoid ARTHRITIS, Hand feels very warm or Hot,

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 6:31 pm
My 14 year old son has juvenile arthritis, we are heeling him with natural remedies, my concern is that his hands are always very worm or Hot, the Doctor is saying that it he doesn't know anything about it. Do I have to be concerned?

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 6:58 pm
Yes, you should be highly concerned about the efficacy of whatever treatment you are providing your son. What you are describing indicates uncontrolled joint inflammation, which will lead to joint damage and possibly long term disability if left uncontrolled.
The response from his treating clinician (Dr.?) is even more concerning. The fact that he said he doesnt know anything about hot and swollen hands and he is taking responsibility treating the JRA, indicates that he is likely unqualified to treat this very serious disease.
It is urgent that you bring your child to a qualified pediatric rheumatologist and follow current medical recommendations for treating this disease. Not doing so exposes your child to the risk of serious, irreparable, joint damage and potential lifelong disability.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 7:22 pm
I was diagnosed with JRA at 13. I experienced almost the complete opposite. My hands were always freezing. If he is having any interesting symptoms, I would strongly encourage you to find a Dr who can help.

Hatzlacha and refuah shelayma

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
My 14 year old son has juvenile arthritis, we are heeling him with natural remedies, my concern is that his hands are always very worm or Hot, the Doctor is saying that it he doesn't know anything about it. Do I have to be concerned?
I have RA.
Are his entire hands warm and hot or just his knuckles and or joints that are inflamed by the arthritis?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, you should be highly concerned about the efficacy of whatever treatment you are providing your son. What you are describing indicates uncontrolled joint inflammation, which will lead to joint damage and possibly long term disability if left uncontrolled.
The response from his treating clinician (Dr.?) is even more concerning. The fact that he said he doesnt know anything about hot and swollen hands and he is taking responsibility treating the JRA, indicates that he is likely unqualified to treat this very serious disease.
It is urgent that you bring your child to a qualified pediatric rheumatologist and follow current medical recommendations for treating this disease. Not doing so exposes your child to the risk of serious, irreparable, joint damage and potential lifelong disability.

I agree with this all the way. (I'm the same amother who just posted.)
Not taking care of JRA properly can lead to irreversible damage, problems with joints while growing that are not possible to fix later, problems growing

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
I was diagnosed with JRA at 13. I experienced almost the complete opposite. My hands were always freezing. If he is having any interesting symptoms, I would strongly encourage you to find a Dr who can help.

Hatzlacha and refuah shelayma
The freezing hands and extremities come from accompanying Reynauds

sourstix

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 9:38 pm
[quote="amother"]Yes, you should be highly concerned about the efficacy of whatever treatment you are providing your son. What you are describing indicates uncontrolled joint inflammation, which will lead to joint damage and possibly long term disability if left uncontrolled.
It is urgent that you bring your child to a qualified pediatric rheumatologist and follow current medical recommendations for treating this disease. Not doing so exposes your child to the risk of serious, irreparable, joint damage and potential lifelong disability.[/quote]

just to add something I think is true but you can ask a competent doctor, is jra is not curable, you can give medication to ease the pain.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 9:42 pm
yes I looked it up. it cant be cured. it can be treated to the point it shouldnt get worse, and cause more damage. please go to a competent doctor! its a duty to your child. dd has it and has seen a few doctors. I dont know who she is seeing at this point(sounds funny) shes not home so I dont know.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:

Do you mean your natural doctor doesnt know anything about the warm hands?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:

Op here, sorry , I didn't say the whole story, I wanted to ask a quick question about worm hands , it started out 1.5 years ago, the hands where swollen at the time, we stared out With a Great Doctor, he recommended methotrexate , with his permission we stared natural treatment for the first 2 months, and it went well, fast fforward ds is still on the natural treatment and as per the doctor he is BH athritis free, but his hand started to get very worm or even hot some times , it makes me very nervous,

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
I have RA.
Are his entire hands warm and hot or just his knuckles and or joints that are inflamed by the arthritis?

The whole hand from the knuckles down, and some times when its very hot his hands turn red

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 11:31 pm
OP, you need to clarify who is treating his disease. Based on the fact that you said he was being treated with methotrexate, I am assuming he was being treated by a rheumatologist. Is he still being followed by the rheumatologist? Is he still on methotrexate? Are the "natural treatments " complementary or alternative? Because the description of his symptoms indicates a disease flare. Your child likely has polyarticular JRA (affecting multiple smaller joints) which can be very aggressive. It can go into remission, but there is no cure. You absolutely must go for regular followups with the rheumatologist, report all changes in his condition, and follow through with medication recommendations.

Who is the doctor who said he is arthritis free? who is guiding you on the "natural treatments?" Your child is still suffering from arthritis symptoms, which should alarm you enough to seek competent medical care by a board certified pediatric rheumatologist. Any alternative treatment should be in conjunction with, not as an anternative to, medical treatment.

rf347

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:
OP, you need to clarify who is treating his disease. Based on the fact that you said he was being treated with methotrexate, I am assuming he was being treated by a rheumatologist. Is he still being followed by the rheumatologist? Is he still on methotrexate? Are the "natural treatments " complementary or alternative? Because the description of his symptoms indicates a disease flare. Your child likely has polyarticular JRA (affecting multiple smaller joints) which can be very aggressive. It can go into remission, but there is no cure. You absolutely must go for regular followups with the rheumatologist, report all changes in his condition, and follow through with medication recommendations.

Who is the doctor who said he is arthritis free? who is guiding you on the "natural treatments?" Your child is still suffering from arthritis symptoms, which should alarm you enough to seek competent medical care by a board certified pediatric rheumatologist. Any alternative treatment should be in conjunction with, not as an anternative to, medical treatment.

The rheumatologist recommended methotrexate, But we never gave to him, with the permission of the rheumatologist we stared natural treatment for the first 2 months to see how it goes, and it worked wonders, now after being on the natural treatment for 1.5 years and seeing the rheumatologist every 30days there is no swelling any more and the rheumatologist says he is Arthritis free,
whats makes me nervous is why is his hand very worm?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 5:14 pm
rf347 wrote:
The rheumatologist recommended methotrexate, But we never gave to him, with the permission of the rheumatologist we stared natural treatment for the first 2 months to see how it goes, and it worked wonders, now after being on the natural treatment for 1.5 years and seeing the rheumatologist every 30days there is no swelling any more and the rheumatologist says he is Arthritis free,
whats makes me nervous is why is his hand very worm?

what does your natural doctor and your rheumatologist say about his warm hands?
What did you use to treat naturally?

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 5:21 pm
OP, for the sake of your child I am going to be very blunt.
I do not believe you are telling the full, truthful story here. It is highly unusual for a rheumatologist to see a child every 30 days for a year and a half while simultaneously allowing the parents to refuse standard medical advice and evidenced based medical care. Your story does not add up.

In any case, if your rheumatologist is unable to advise you on the hot, red hands, he is incompetent. You should seek a second opinion with a competent pediatric rheumatologist. The symptoms are indicative of soft tissue and/or joint inflammation, and based on report should inform the Dr. of the disease process. Additionally, your child should be getting regular lab work to monitor the disease process. Your child is not arthritis free; unfortunately his disease is reportedly active. In any case, polyarticular JRA is a chronic disease. A comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan is in order here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics