Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Down blankets

Mama'le

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 3:17 am
Can they be washed in washing machine / dryer or does it need to be dry cleaned only?

mazal555

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:08 am
I wash them in the machine. Not too often, on warm. I also wash some canvas sneakers. Then, put them in the dryer with the clean sneakers and make sure they get very dry. The rubber in the sneakers makes them fluff back up for some reason.

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:24 am
I washed some old down pillows and the whole room smelled awful; similar to wet wool but even worse. Plus it took about 4 cycles on high in the dryer to be fully dry.
Can't imagine how long a quilt would take to dry

myself

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:26 am
Make sure it is dried VERY thoroughly or else the down can get moldy.

mazal555

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:55 am
Yeah, I wash pillows all the time. They are harder to get dry than comforters. But if you do a few cycles on high in the dryer and put just 2 pillows at a time in the dryer and then let them air dry a little afterwards, they do get dry and I have resurrected many a 'dead' pillow like that.

And they smell like burned feathers for a day or 2. But it's worth it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:21 pm
depends on the piece. check the care instructions carefully before purchasing and before cleaning.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:33 pm
I schlep pillows and down comforters to the laundrymat every summer when it's very very hot. I use a large front loader and wash all on cold using Woolite, I also add two pairs of washable tennis/athletic shoes. I then schlep the wet mess home and line dry. When done I add a few pillows to my dryer with the shoes turn it onto air for about ten minutes to fluff and do the same with the comforter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry