Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What to take/leave when moving countries

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:05 am
We will probably be moving to a different country (not to EY, in case someone suggests sharing an aliyah lift) within the next year or so. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to just bring a few suitcases and then sell/give away everything else, or actually ship it properly.

We're not sending our furniture, it was mostly free or extremely cheap.

Here's some of the things:
1. My husband's sefarim. This is probably the heaviest item. I know people who have shipped via the regular postal mail but isn't that very expensive? Is there another option?
2. Kids' clothing that they outgrew but can be used for future children IY"H. Some are stained but totally useable, and some are in even better condition.
3. Out of all my kitchen stuff, there's a really good pan and a really good cast iron pot (actually brought all the way here from out of the country!). They're both not cheap. I wouldn't take them most likely unless we were getting shipping containers etc.
4. Sheets - such a chaval to buy new ones! They're not that big. But I guess if you add them all up.. then it would be heavy.
5. Toys - Some things for sure we wouldn't bring, but is it worth it to take any at all?

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth it to take a few extra suitcases on the plane (and if so, which items to bring and which to sell/give away) and then ship or send the sefarim, or find a shipping company that can take a container. Most of the things I mentioned above are small but they can add up to take up a lot of space! At what point is it worth it to re-buy most things versus sending it?

Thanks so much, would love to hear everyone's experiences!

Edit: Also, if anyone could recommend any good international shipping companies that offer you to send a container of items, I'd appreciate it!

sped

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:13 am
It so much depends on where you are moving. What are prices for the above items there? Is it more costly to take or to buy again? What about convenience? What about familiar type items. You may want to talk to people who live there now to compare.

5mom

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:16 am
Sonigo ships worldwide, we know people who have used them and were very pleased.
If you are moving from the US, the postal service offers slow but much cheaper rates for shipping books.
Whether to take clothes and kitchen goods depends on prices in your destination country.
Also, many major retailers ship worldwide, leaving you the option to buy things after you move.
Best of luck!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:16 am
sped wrote:
It so much depends on where you are moving. What are prices for the above items there? Is it more costly to take or to buy again? What about convenience? What about familiar type items. You may want to talk to people who live there now to compare.

We'd be moving to america, so most items are convenient and cheap there. Most of the above items are actually from there, so the prices are the same!

aquad

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:28 am
If you have an idea of how much you would take if you had the option, call up a shipping company or two to get a quote. If the cost to ship is more than the cost to replace, you have your answer.

Sefarim tend to be very expensive though. You can always send those via mail if you choose not to ship.

Another idea, if you have family with the storage space at your origin point, is to box up the items that you do not need immediately (like the kids clothes and sefarim), and leave it with them. As you need the items, you can ask your relatives to mail it to you. This would spread out the cost, making it easier to manage.

My hunch would be if you are ok with buying second hand toys and kids clothes, it won't be worth it to ship, and you should just mail the sefarim (unless your husband has a huge library). Pay for an extra suitcase for the pot and pan- airlines have a maximum weight, mail carriers charge per weight, so you'd probably get a better deal with bringing the pot and pan on the plane.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:56 am
I think between myself and DH, we have done at least half a dozen inter-continental moving
(but I'm really hoping we won't do in future), so speaking from our own experience.

1. It depends greatly which country you're moving to.
Don't take clothes or toys if you're going to US where these are cheaper.
But take them if you're going to Europe or EY
Take clothings (adults) and shoes if you're going to Asia because it's not easy to
find the right sizes.
Don't take household electric items if you're moving to a country with different voltage.

2. It also depends on how many people in household.
A child (but not babies on lap) gets his/her own luggage allowance.
If it is soiled, I won't bother with children's clothes esp if they're outgrowing (but then again
I'm the kind of person who thinks it's perfectly ok to ask around friends for hand-me-downs.)

3. Do you know where you'll be living and measurement of the house/flat?
bed linens--are you shipping your current beds? Any chances you may have different size beds
in your destination?

Basically you divide things into three bundles.
You'll bring with you in suitcases things you'll need in the first several weeks, things you'll need in the first month or so and NOT heavy will go as unaccompanied luggage by air, the rest of the things you won't need for the first 2-3months will be shipped (not by air). Make sure you take into account climates, esp if you move closer to colder climate and may need winter/autumn clothes.

Another thing, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COMPLETE HOUSEHOLD ITEM LIST, so you can keep track of where things are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating